Questions about Mormonism

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
What do Mormons think of 1,2 Enoch and the Assumption of Moses? Thank you.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not consider the Books of Enoch to be part of its standard canon, though it is believed that the original Book of Enoch was an inspired book. The Book of Moses, found within the scriptural canon of the LDS Church, has several similarities to the Book of Enoch including names that have been found in some versions of the Book of Enoch, and is believed by the Church to contain a condensed record of Enoch.

The Assumption of Moses also has some interesting parallels to Mormonisms uniquely translated and restored scriptures.

In a general sense LDS accept all truth, thus we do believe there are truths in scripture that is not in our official cannon or in others. We believe in seeking and knowing all truth, no matter from where it comes. But, for mormons the essentials have already been restored either through the Bible or latter-day scripture and revelation, and so we don't have any "active" study of such works. Whatever's done is generally an individual affair for those who have an interest in such things.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
What about contemplative prayer, as practiced and taught by Quietists such as Molinos, Fenelon, and Guyon?

LDS prayer is bowing ones head both in prayer and in listening. It is a moment of change of spirit and heart. Such prayers are said silently or openly. LDS do not have any "ritualistic" per-se style of prayer. Although, in the Temple there is a form of ritual.

One thing I would note however, is during the period in which I had left religion, I was big into Eastern philosophy and religion, especially Zen and Taoism, and when I came back to the Church and re-studied it, it was interesting to me how much was compatible. I had always thought that the "perfect" religion to me would incorporate good things of the East such as Martial Arts, Meditation etc. with the LDS Church. However, after all that experience, I realized that while that might seem ideal, the Church actually does a form of the Eastern way. It's theology and practices are intertwined in being physically fit, and also spiritually fit. Thus, while the ritual of the East may not be the same, there is a form of it. Those who practice and live the religion to it's highest degree, DO in fact become wise similar as sages, etc., but still participating in life. Thus, I realized it wasn't time for that kind of combination if ever.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Mormons believe they can become gods. I don't know why their beliefs should be discussed on a CHRISTIAN forum.

Because it's Biblical.....
Plus, we aren't really talking on a "Christian" forum, we are relegated and entirely restricted to the Unorthodox forum only.

Mighty "Christian" of you all.

Further, Christ said we were Gods, so why do you want to stone us also as the Jews wanted to stone Christ for equating himself with God?

Oh, and the reason our beliefs are discussed is so you all can feel better about yourselves by bashing other religions like bully's. You have an insecurity complex, so you need to attack others. You have no real security in your own faith. Well, at least some of you don't. Some suffer from classic bully syndrome. You can only feel good if you attack others.

Upvote 0

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 John 3

1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears,[a] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

Is that what you're talking about? Is that when Jesus says we can become gods? Bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well you come on to a CHRISTIAN forum defending a religion which asserts that God was created and that human beings can become Gods..... don't be surprised when you get attacked.

I don't think it is necessary to have an attitude like this here. This is the appropriate place to have this discussion and they are invited to be members, just like you. Please let's treat each other with respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because it's Biblical.....
Plus, we aren't really talking on a "Christian" forum, we are relegated and entirely restricted to the Unorthodox forum only.

Mighty "Christian" of you all.

Further, Christ said we were Gods, so why do you want to stone us also as the Jews wanted to stone Christ for equating himself with God?

Oh, and the reason our beliefs are discussed is so you all can feel better about yourselves by bashing other religions like bully's. You have an insecurity complex, so you need to attack others. You have no real security in your own faith. Well, at least some of you don't. Some suffer from classic bully syndrome. You can only feel good if you attack others.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Well you come on to a CHRISTIAN forum defending a religion which asserts that God was created and that human beings can become Gods..... don't be surprised when you get attacked.

First, there is no LDS theology saying God was "created".... That's a claim of our enemy's about us. It's not something we've ever taught however.

The Bible says it and imply's it many places, thus we shouldn't be attacked.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
1 John 3

1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears,[a] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

Is that what you're talking about? Is that when Jesus says we can become gods? Bit of a stretch if you ask me.

First, take many such verses and similar, and there is doctrine there, not a "stretch".

Second, no..... I'm speaking of John 10 & Psalms 82 in which both Christ and the Law directly states it.

You Are A ... god. John 10:30-36, Psalms 82:6-7 - YouTube

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
If anyone wants to see how Biblical mormonism is go read "prophet" Brigham Young's talk wherein he lays out the Adam-God doctrine.

First, there is no Adam/God "doctrine". It is only a THEORY.

Second, you wouldn't know the first thing about it, given your judgment of it, and given that Brigham 99.9% of the rest of the time taught the "traditional" understanding of God and Adam. Thus, you haven't a clue what he was teaching, and you misrepresent mormonism by trying to claim it's doctrine when it never was.

Upvote 0

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First, there is no LDS theology saying God was "created".... That's a claim of our enemy's about us. It's not something we've ever taught however.

The Bible says it and imply's it many places, thus we shouldn't be attacked.

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret... [Y]ou have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you..."

-Joseph Smith

"If Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son? Whenever did a tree or anything spring into existence without a progenitor? And everything comes in this way. Paul says that which is earthly is in the likeness of that which is heavenly, Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that He had a Father also? I despise the idea of being scared to death at such a doctrine, for the Bible is full of it."

Joseph Smith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First, there is no Adam/God "doctrine". It is only a THEORY.

Second, you wouldn't know the first thing about it, given your judgment of it, and given that Brigham 99.9% of the rest of the time taught the "traditional" understanding of God and Adam. Thus, you haven't a clue what he was teaching, and you misrepresent mormonism by trying to claim it's doctrine when it never was.

Brigham Young calls it a doctrine and Brigham Young was a "prophet."

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which is revealed to them, and which God revealed to me -- namely that Adam is our father and God...Our Father Adam is the man who stands at the gate and holds the keys of everlasting life and salvation to all his children who have or ever will come upon the earth"

-Brigham Young

Upvote 0

Darcy23

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First, take many such verses and similar, and there is doctrine there, not a "stretch".

Second, no..... I'm speaking of John 10 & Psalms 82 in which both Christ and the Law directly states it.

Oh, so we already are gods, according to your literal reading of those passages. I may tend to be vain and arrogant from time to time but I never went so far as to fancy myself a god.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Was Christ "created"..... No he wasn't. Further, only our bodies are "created" not our Spirits and Intelligences. Christ himself said he did nothing he hadn't SEEN the Father do. Clearly, that means the Father at minimum was once a Christ.

As to Brigham, show me where he says it's "doctrine"?
Second, you don't know the first thing about the Church.
The Church has a "system" for what and how something is made doctrine.
I'm a Mormon, you are not. I know how our Church functions, and I actually know the issue, you know and understand neither.

Matter is settled, and you need to stop bearing false witness.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Oh, so we already are gods, according to your literal reading of those passages. I may tend to be vain and arrogant from time to time but I never went so far as to fancy myself a god.

It has nothing to do with a "literal reading"..... It's directly what Christ stated, and was the whole point of the conversation. They were stoning him because he called himself One with God. He then told them, why are you stoning me, because even your OWN LAW says you are gods.

And it has nothing to do with "fancying oneself", it's simply the truth.
Either you follow the Bible or you don't. And you don't.

Upvote 0