Not open for further replies.

NotreDameBoy

Jul 19, 2006
✟138.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a question about baptism. I was baptised about ten days after I was born. My family is Catholic, though not very devout ones, although they do attend Church every Sunday. I am 13 and have never really been interested in going to Church or Catholicism or God. But, recently something has been drawing me to God and the Church and I am really interested in becoming a more serious Christian and more involved in the Church. I feel as though because I was baptised so early and I never really participated and whatnot, it's like it "didn't count" or something. I don't know how to explain this but looking back on it(not that I can remember it) it seems as though it doesn't really mean that much since I did not understand what I was going through or what was happening. My question is, in the Catholic Church, can you be baptised like twice or something? Please forgive me on this one cuz I feel very ignorant and stupid asking this but, when I first recieved Communion(again I don't know if their is a special name for it or anything, sorry) they gave us the chunks of bread instead of the wafer circle thingeys and I was not ready for the taste and ran to the bathroom and spit it out as soon as I sat back down. :help: :( :o Same thing as before, I feel that it doesn't really count because of what I did. Is it possible to do this process over again? Any responses are greatly appreciated and GOD BLESS!

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to OBOB, brother!

You do NOT need to be re-baptised.
When you receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, you will receive another outpouring the Holy Spirit (same Spirit, but brings...fullness in the gifts). Your reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is supposed to be YOUR choice, nobody elses.
If you have any concerns, talk to a priest your youth minister at your parish whom you trust :)

I hope that helps some. I've never been great at explaining Confirmation, so if anything else needs to be said, I'm sure another member will put in their thoughts and knowledge :)

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF bud!

First of all, Baptism is a one time event. Baptism is an extremely important sacrament, it puts a mark on your soul which states that you are a child of God, that mark stays with you for eternity, and I believe that it is the grace that you received from your baptism that is leading you to seek after God more fully now.

I also was baptized as an infant, and I thank God that my parents did that for me, even though, like your parents they were not faithful in raising me in the faith as they should have, I had a reversion experience when I was 17 and then began to seek God more fully and live my Catholic faith more fully, and I believe that it was the sanctifying grace which I received at my Baptism which led me back to my faith.

So, rejoice, for your parents followed the command of Christ, by bringing you to be baptized and to be adopted as a son of God. If you would like to renew the vows of your baptism, do so, get some holy water and tell God that you renounce Satan and what he offers and that you love God and want to follow Him to eternity, bless yourself with the Holy Water and thank God for the grace that he has given to you to seek to follow him.

In regards to receiving Communion, you can receive Communion (which is not wafers or bread, but is actually the Real Presence of Jesus Christ, it is fully Him, His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity) every day, I think it may be that God is calling you to seek after Him and to receive Him as much as possible. So I urge you to ask your parents to take you to Mass or find another way to get there on your own, read about what the Eucharist is, and follow Christ!

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As have been said here -> You do not get another baptism; maybe You didn't understand what was happening to You, but God understood it! And He accepted You as His child. Did You understand what Your biological birth was about? Want to repeat it?

What is for You now is: Confession and Confirmation... And Communion/Eucharist...

Welcome back home!

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
NotreDameBoy said:
I have a question about baptism. I was baptised about ten days after I was born. My family is Catholic, though not very devout ones, although they do attend Church every Sunday. I am 13 and have never really been interested in going to Church or Catholicism or God. But, recently something has been drawing me to God and the Church and I am really interested in becoming a more serious Christian and more involved in the Church. I feel as though because I was baptised so early and I never really participated and whatnot, it's like it "didn't count" or something. I don't know how to explain this but looking back on it(not that I can remember it) it seems as though it doesn't really mean that much since I did not understand what I was going through or what was happening. My question is, in the Catholic Church, can you be baptised like twice or something? Please forgive me on this one cuz I feel very ignorant and stupid asking this but, when I first recieved Communion(again I don't know if their is a special name for it or anything, sorry) they gave us the chunks of bread instead of the wafer circle thingeys and I was not ready for the taste and ran to the bathroom and spit it out as soon as I sat back down. :help: :( :o Same thing as before, I feel that it doesn't really count because of what I did. Is it possible to do this process over again? Any responses are greatly appreciated and GOD BLESS!

When you 'Confirm' your faith this is called Confirmation by a Bishop. :wave: You confirm your baptism.

Well, Are you Byzantine? Just wondered, because they use a different sort of bread, I took Communion at a Byzantine once...and had a priest visit me for 'annointing of the sick' that my brother sent for me, and I also received confession and communion.

Its different than the Roman Catholic one.

Reactions: Febe
Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NotreDameBoy said:
Thanks for all the info guys and gals. Any advice on the communion thing. What should I do?

Well, first, I would study what the Eucharist is, gain an understanding of what you are receiving. Second, I would go to confession and confess any sins that you have committed since your last confession, as we should only receive the Eucharist when our souls are clean. I personally go once every two weeks to confession, unless I commit a mortal sin, then I go immediately. Third I would go this Sunday to Mass and receive the Eucharist, which is truly Jesus's Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, it is truly our Savior offering Himself completely to you. If you have any questions about what the Eucharist is, please ask us or even ask your priest when you go to Confession.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
WarriorAngel said:
When you 'Confirm' your faith this is called Confirmation by a Bishop. :wave: You confirm your baptism.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, this is a very common explanation of the Sacrament of Confirmation, but not the origin of the term. In Confirmation, the Holy Spirit strengthens (con-firms) you for your life as an adult Catholic in the Lay Apostolate.

That you renew and take to yourself the vows made at your baptism, confirming them, is an element of the sacramental service, but not the key point of the sacrament proper, which is the bishop laying hands on you that you may receive the strengthening of the Holy Spirit. It has sometimes been called "the ordination of the laity" because of the significance of the gift of the Spirit in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
NotreDameBoy said:
I have a question about baptism. I was baptised about ten days after I was born. My family is Catholic, though not very devout ones, although they do attend Church every Sunday. I am 13 and have never really been interested in going to Church or Catholicism or God. But, recently something has been drawing me to God and the Church and I am really interested in becoming a more serious Christian and more involved in the Church. I feel as though because I was baptised so early and I never really participated and whatnot, it's like it "didn't count" or something.

Oh yes, it counted alright! :) Your infant baptism is why you are feeling this strong draw to the Church now. :)

The Grace given you in your baptism is working in your llife. Your baptism put a mark on your soul . . . yes, your baptism did indeed count, big time!

I don't know how to explain this but looking back on it(not that I can remember it) it seems as though it doesn't really mean that much since I did not understand what I was going through or what was happening.

Your personal understanding has nothing at all to do with whether it means anything when you are a baby. It is the faith of your parents, as small as that faith may have been. It all still counts. :)

My question is, in the Catholic Church, can you be baptised like twice or something? Please forgive me on this one cuz I feel very ignorant and stupid asking this but, when I first recieved Communion(again I don't know if their is a special name for it or anything, sorry) they gave us the chunks of bread instead of the wafer circle thingeys and I was not ready for the taste and ran to the bathroom and spit it out as soon as I sat back down. Same thing as before, I feel that it doesn't really count because of what I did. Is it possible to do this process over again? Any responses are greatly appreciated and GOD BLESS!

You do not start the process over again, you just pick up from where you are now . . once on the path you are on the path. Even if you stray from it, you do not go back to the beginning of the path and start all over. . you get back on where you are at.

Regarding the previous reception of communion, just tell the priest about it. I am so happy that you are feeling so drawn back to the Church. This is wonderful and is a sign that your baptism is at work within you. :)

Peace

Upvote 0

Kusanagi

Cyborg Surface Marshal
Jul 4, 2005
The Northeast Corridor
✟8,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am kind of in your shoes NotreDameBoy, though when I was younger I went to CCD classes though I never finished it and thus never made it to first confession, first communion, and confirmation. Though I have had been away from the faith way longer than you have (I only recently started returning back and just had a discussion with the priest to compleate my sacrements via RCIA).

At first I thought I would need to be rebaptised but then discovered that my baptism is still infact valid (Though I would have a trouble time trying to confess everything since the Age of Reason). Eventhough I am baptized Catholic, I still refrain from reciving communion and opt to recive a blessing from the priest untill the big day comes.

Reactions: Febe
Upvote 0

NotreDameBoy

Jul 19, 2006
✟138.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
The thing is, my church doesn't really have confession. It is a very modern church and strays very far away from tradition. Although, there are many other "old fashioned" catholic churches in my area my parents still choose to go to this one. My grandmother even goes so far as to call it a "monkey-eyed Church" lol. Like, I have never seen a place for confession and I have never heard any announcements telling people to come to confession. Please help!:help:

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
NotreDameBoy said:
The thing is, my church doesn't really have confession. It is a very modern church and strays very far away from tradition. Although, there are many other "old fashioned" catholic churches in my area my parents still choose to go to this one. My grandmother even goes so far as to call it a "monkey-eyed Church" lol. Like, I have never seen a place for confession and I have never heard any announcements telling people to come to confession. Please help!:help:
Try to talk to a priest whenever you can. They should be more than willing to hear your confession, give advice, absolution, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
NotreDameBoy said:

Honestly, I'm thinking your Church may do it, just not as frequent and perhaps informs it's believers very poorly about the times and such. I have never heard of a Priest of a Catholic Church that does not hear Confession at least once a week. :scratch:

Upvote 0

WordofGod

True LOVE never Fails and Casts out fear.
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2006
The best country in the world.
✟62,459.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
NotreDameBoy said:

FullyMT said:
Welcome to OBOB, brother!
FullyMT said:
You do NOT need to be re-baptised.
When you receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, you will receive another outpouring the Holy Spirit (same Spirit, but brings...fullness in the gifts). Your reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is supposed to be YOUR choice, nobody elses.
If you have any concerns, talk to a priest your youth minister at your parish whom you trust

I hope that helps some. I've never been great at explaining Confirmation, so if anything else needs to be said, I'm sure another member will put in their thoughts and knowledge

FullyMT said:
Try to talk to a priest whenever you can. They should be more than willing to hear your confession, give advice, absolution, etc.

I agree and second everything FullyMT has told you quote above.:wave:

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Everyone has given great answers. Something to keep in mind is although baptism is a one time thing we can re-embrace it everyday.

When we go into a church and there is holy water and we dip our fingers in it and bless ourselves in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. We are reaffirming our baptism.

Reactions: Kepha
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.