Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Apr 16, 2008
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello! I'm new and have a question I'm hoping any one of you might answer.

My husband and I are about to begin the process of baptizing our daughter (she's 4 months old) and I'm scared. LOL. My husband and I only have a civil marriage, we do want to be married in the church though and my question is if we'll be allowed to.

We didn't realize the importance of our faith till we had our little baby and totally re-evaluated the meaning of life. Maybe it would've been better having that insight before having the civil ceremony and then our daughter, but it's something we've come to desire because we know we need that spiritual life and connection with God. In fact we've wondered if it'd make our marriage stronger, not that it isn't, but it would definitely help during those stressful times, especially as new parents.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I'm just afraid of being scolded. LOL.

:sorry:

Reactions: hsilgne

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
YOu ought to have no trouble :) Often, however parishes will want you to be 'active' memebers for a specified amount of time before they'll baptise (which I think is criminal--I cannot imagine witholding the life of the soul from someone over such a thing...)

Have you asked your priest about having your marriage convalidated--perhaps at the same time as your daughter's baptism. :)

Are there any impediments to y'allhaving your marriage convalidated? Any previous marriages for either of you or either of you not baptised??

Upvote 0

litebrite

Apr 16, 2008
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
YOu ought to have no trouble :) Often, however parishes will want you to be 'active' memebers for a specified amount of time before they'll baptise (which I think is criminal--I cannot imagine witholding the life of the soul from someone over such a thing...)

Have you asked your priest about having your marriage convalidated--perhaps at the same time as your daughter's baptism. :)

Are there any impediments to y'allhaving your marriage convalidated? Any previous marriages for either of you or either of you not baptised??
Well thankfully since my daughter was born we've been active members of the church, so that shouldn't be an issue. Neither of us has impediments to being married such as divorces and the like. We're going this week to talk to the priest with the godparents we chose, I'm just nervous. It's important to the both of us to have a spiritual life and relationship with God, not just for the sake of our baby but for us too, and I hope we can get married in the church someday. Sooner than later!

Having a marriage convalidated, what is that process like? Is there no ceremony?

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Well- it's the ceremony of saying your vows, etc. in the presence of the priest or deacon in the church. It's not as elaborate as a wedding ceremony--but it's what will make your marriage sacramental in the eyes of the Church.

I'd totally mention it when you go to meet with the priest this week--I'd even ask if you could do it all together :)

Usually there are not the same requirements for preparation as there are for marriage prep--it's usually up to the discretion of the priest. If you were both baptised Catholic- then you'd just need to have your baptismal certificates faxed to your parish and have a copy of your marriage license..

If you are active in your parish and sincere about living your faith --I can't imagine anyone hassling you at all....and if they did, I personally would find another parish. You desire baptism for your child and you desire to bring the child up in the Faith...that's really all there needs to be :)

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd totally mention it when...

As opposed to partially?

Like, gag me with a spoon Shannon, like totally!

j/k.

;)

Well- it's the ceremony of saying your vows, etc. in the presence of the priest or deacon in the church. It's not as elaborate as a wedding ceremony--but it's what will make your marriage sacramental in the eyes of the Church.

I'd totally mention it when you go to meet with the priest this week--I'd even ask if you could do it all together :)

Usually there are not the same requirements for preparation as there are for marriage prep--it's usually up to the discretion of the priest. If you were both baptised Catholic- then you'd just need to have your baptismal certificates faxed to your parish and have a copy of your marriage license..

If you are active in your parish and sincere about living your faith --I can't imagine anyone hassling you at all....and if they did, I personally would find another parish. You desire baptism for your child and you desire to bring the child up in the Faith...that's really all there needs to be :)

:thumbsup:

God Bless you and your family litebrite. Welcome home!

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I never ran into that. before I was this wonderful Catholic you see here, when me and the hubs was married civilly and living in sin, we had two kids baptized, no questions asked.

My oldest was baptized in the Church my husband was baptized in, not even our regular parish, the priest so didn't care, so I guess it will just depend.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well thankfully since my daughter was born we've been active members of the church, so that shouldn't be an issue. Neither of us has impediments to being married such as divorces and the like. We're going this week to talk to the priest with the godparents we chose, I'm just nervous. It's important to the both of us to have a spiritual life and relationship with God, not just for the sake of our baby but for us too, and I hope we can get married in the church someday. Sooner than later!

Having a marriage convalidated, what is that process like? Is there no ceremony?
:thumbsup:

Of course, if you WANT to have an extra ceremony, there's nothing wrong with that either. :clap:

And now to the indelicate personal remarks... I'd like to point out I ma not trying to judge you one little bit (if you knew my history you'd relax :blush:) but this is important to know, which is why I'm telling you without even being introduced. :sorry:

I am assuming you and your husband are baptised Catholics, and are therefore "reverts" not "converts"? If you two knew that you were supposed to be married in the Church, but chose not to, you could both be in a state of grave (and possibly mortal) sin. If you didn't know, you are probably in a state of grave sin. Why? Because in the eyes of the Church you aren't actually married (unless you civil ceremony was approved by your bishop). Which is kinda confronting, but it is fixable! :clap:

My advice is:
1. Get to Confession
2. Take a break from each other
3. Get your marriage convalidated.
4. Enjoy your second honeymoon!

Sorry to be so blunt. Please don't take this the wrong way :hug:

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! That's awesome! Is she a good girl? Have you got a family gown you get to use for her baptism?

Welcome back to the Church!

Welcome to OBOB! We are crazy, but you get used to that :thumbup:

Upvote 0

litebrite

Apr 16, 2008
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are "reverts" by definition and we're well aware of the seriousness of our situation. We are from two different countries, I'm the American, and all of our time, energy, and money has gone into legalizing my husband and finding a way of being together. There is no way we can "take a break" from each other because we have a child together, and that is not acceptable to either of us which is exactly why we're trying to correct our situation. We talk about it all the time, trust me, we don't want something to happen to either one of us and have to suffer eternally therein. I appreciate your advice!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are "reverts" by definition and we're well aware of the seriousness of our situation. We are from two different countries, I'm the American, and all of our time, energy, and money has gone into legalizing my husband and finding a way of being together. There is no way we can "take a break" from each other because we have a child together, and that is not acceptable to either of us which is exactly why we're trying to correct our situation. We talk about it all the time, trust me, we don't want something to happen to either one of us and have to suffer eternally therein. I appreciate your advice!
When I say "take a break" I didn't mean move out... I meant don't have sex. Just clarifying - though I think you got what I meant.

Where is your husband from?

Upvote 0

litebrite

Apr 16, 2008
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I say "take a break" I didn't mean move out... I meant don't have sex. Just clarifying - though I think you got what I meant.

Where is your husband from?
Oh! I thought you meant move out! We haven't had sex since the birth of our daughter and well, before that. It's been months! I'm honestly too consumed with my infant to even desire let alone think about intimacy. I'm sure it's harder on my husband, but it's something that's important to us. We've abstained from holy communion as well, we're on the right path, I'm just afraid of a lecture, though I wouldn't blame the priest of course. It's what's to be expected, at least, I imagine so.

:)

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh! I thought you meant move out! We haven't had sex since the birth of our daughter and well, before that. It's been months! I'm honestly too consumed with my infant to even desire let alone think about intimacy. I'm sure it's harder on my husband, but it's something that's important to us. We've abstained from holy communion as well, we're on the right path, I'm just afraid of a lecture, though I wouldn't blame the priest of course. It's what's to be expected, at least, I imagine so.

:)
Oh good on you! That's so awesome!!! I know it's hard, but that is just super good. God bless you in your efforts (or not ;) ) with that.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Found you some good info on Convalidations:

Seven Steps to Convalidation

Being married in the eyes of the Church also involves more than just paperwork. The government sees marriage as a legal contract that can be easily broken. In contrast, the Church views marriage as a sacrament instituted by God, a permanent covenant between husband and wife.

Catholics who want their marriage recognized as this permanent and sacramental covenant should begin the convalidation process by making an appointment with their parish priest.

Although convalidations are handled differently from diocese to diocese, the Church’s Code of Canon Law governs the main guidelines. There are basically seven steps involved.

1. First, all Catholic spouses must produce new copies of their certificates of baptism. These can be obtained by requesting a copy of the baptismal record from the parish where the person was baptized, indicating the name of the individual (as well as the names of the parents), date of birth and approximate baptismal date. This usually takes only a few days.

2. It may be necessary to seek an annulment

3. This next step is a difficult one. Couples who approach the Church for convalidation are requested to abstain from sexual union until after the official convalidation ceremony. Until a marriage is deemed sacramentally valid, Catholics who marry outside the Church are considered to be living in a sinful condition and the Church wishes to shield her members from further sin. The couple may remain together but should refrain from conjugal
acts, relying on their faith to strengthen their resolve in this discipline.Why does the Church insist on such stringency? Paul states in the latter part of Ephesians 5, “The two shall become one flesh. This is a profound mystery, but I am talking about Christ and the Church.” Paul reiterates this truth in I Corinthians 6:16b-17: “The two will become one flesh. And he who unites himself to the Lord is one with Him in spirit.”From these passages of scripture, it is clear that God intended Christian marriage to mirror the relationship of faithful love believers share with Christ.According to the Church, then, marriage is much more than just mutual consent. It is a grace-filled union that parallels the kinship of love between God and His people, but only within the confines of a truly sacramental marriage.

4. Canon law also requires some kind of preparation for entering the sacrament of marriage. Individual dioceses establish the guidelines for this preparation. This can range from attending a short convalidation workshop and/or a pre-marriage readiness day to a Marriage Enrichment weekend or even private counseling sessions. This is in addition to completing all the necessary paperwork such as marriage investigation, inquiry form,
or premarital documents.

5. The next step is to attend the sacrament of reconciliation to confess and repent. Many Catholics who married outside the Church may be hesitant because of their long absence from this sacrament. A sympathetic priest will be able to assist the penitents in confessing to God what is in their hearts. Absolved and forgiven, they leave the confessional with lighter spirits and a clean conscience.

6. Next, determine the date, time and most suitable type of Convalidation service. Most couples opt for a simple ceremony where they both renew their consent to the marriage, reaffirming their continued love and commitment before God and the Church. To many, it feels like a renewal of wedding promises. Many couples select the date of their previous wedding ceremony for convenience’ sake and as a reminder that this is the start of their sacramental union in the eyes of the Church. Often their children take part in the celebration, making it especially memorable. Occasionally it happens that one spouse does not wish to participate in a convalidation ceremony, considering in his or her own mind that the marriage is already valid because the two have publicly exchanged their mutual consent previously.

In such cases, the Church can recognize the marriage on paper in what is known as sanatio in radice, which means “healing in the root.” The necessary documents are assembled and the diocesan bishop proclaims in writing that the union is indeed valid.
And, if you're sending invitations to your friends andd family so they can witness this event the invitations can be worded almost like vow renewal invitations:
Mr. and Mrs. Michael Smithe
request the honour of your presence
at their Convalidation Ceremony
Time

7. Finally, celebrate! The convalidation may take place at the main altar during mass or in a shorter ceremony afterwards. The couple may also choose to have the ceremony at a shrine or sacred grotto that holds special meaning for them. The priest or deacon who presides uses the Rite of Marriage to lead the couple in taking the original vows and renewing them in the context of a Catholic ceremony, thus making it a valid marriage in the eyes of the Church. Even in the shorter form, it is still a true wedding ceremony, including the readings of scripture and an appropriate homily. Depending on what the couple desires, they can exchange rings or have the original rings blessed as they wear them. The vows and readings for a convalidation are the same as the wedding ceremony.
At least two other people need to be present to serve as witnesses and they need not be Catholic. Family and friends may also be invited to share the joy of the ceremony.

Some priests will be open to more elaborate ceremonies that include traditional wedding music or a procession, but it should be clearly understood that an actual, legal wedding has already taken place prior to the convalidation. The bride and groom were legally married according to the state government, but not under the requirements of a Catholic wedding ceremony according to canon law, which all Catholics are bound to obey.

The convalidation ceremony is not the time for the big church wedding with bridesmaids and a huge reception bulging with expensive gifts.
But, because celebrating the Church’s official recognition of the marriage is still a joyous occasion, a get-together can be planned to follow the liturgical blessing.

For whatever reasons couples choose to marry outside the Church and later seek to have their marriages blessed, the spiritual benefits of convalidation are obvious. Catholics approach the altar with peace of heart and mind, knowing they are coming back into full communion and are once again welcome to partake in the rich sacramental life of the Church, especially the reception of the Eucharist, with the Church’s assurance of God's special blessing upon their marriage.

Convalidation fulfills the need to get closer to the Church and to God and to build a strong foundation for the family.

Kay Flowers is co-author of Catholic Annulment, Spiritual Healing (Liguori) and author of the award-winning Caleb’s Daughter (Booklocker)

Hope that it's helpful (I trimmed the bit on annulments since it's not applicable)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.