a pilgrim

Not a fan, but a follower.
Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think a bible believing Christian should go and watch the Rockettes (of New York, i.e., the Radio City Hall Rockettes,) perform.

In case you do not know who they are, they are a bunch of women who are scantily clad that dance in a long line, kicking up their legs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ben

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think a bible believing Christian should go and watch the Rockettes (of New York, i.e., the Radio City Hall Rockettes,) perform.

In case you do not know who they are, they are a bunch of women who are scantily clad that dance in a long line, kicking up their legs.

Ben
Depends.

Will it cause someone they know to stumble, knowing they went?
Will it cause that person, the Christian to stumble by going?

If the answer to both questions is 'no,' then perhaps it's ok... but, if one's heart convicts him regardless, then no, I think it'd be wrong to go.

"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." (James 4:17)

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife's grandmother is a member of a Southern Baptist Church that sponsored this event, took all the senior citizens in the church to it. My wife confronted her grandmother, and she said we are "too strict," and "legalistic." The purpose for my post was to see if other "believers" see this event as immoral.

Ben

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Radio City Christmas Special is a family event. The Rockettes, during those performances are appropriately covered. That is not a good reason to boycott the Christmas show. (If you google it, you'd see some of the costumes they wear for it.)

And even the other shows ................. the Rockettes are clothed in more clothes than you would see a girl in at the beach. So, unless you are boycotting going to beaches and pools, too, it really would be hypocritical to say that one is worse than the other.

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Radio City Christmas Special is a family event. The Rockettes, during those performances are appropriately covered. That is not a good reason to boycott the Christmas show. (If you google it, you'd see some of the costumes they wear for it.)

And even the other shows ................. the Rockettes are clothed in more clothes than you would see a girl in at the beach. So, unless you are boycotting going to beaches and pools, too, it really would be hypocritical to say that one is worse than the other.

My family and I do not go to the beach or swimming pools for that same reason. Skimpy bathing suits and the Rockettes fail to meet God's standard:

1 Timothy 2
[9] In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
[10] But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The Rockettes are not in modest apparel, displaying shamefacedness, or making a profession of godliness with good works, in their skimpy suits.

Sorry, New Dawn, but your opinion is according to cultural norms, not the Word of God.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My family and I do not go to the beach or swimming pools for that same reason. Skimpy bathing suits and the Rockettes fail to meet God's standard:

1 Timothy 2
[9] In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
[10] But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The Rockettes are not in modest apparel, displaying shamefacedness, or making a profession of godliness with good works, in their skimpy suits.

Sorry, New Dawn, but your opinion is according to cultural norms, not the Word of God.

I don't think you read what I said. I was speaking about the Christmas shows. But, either way, if you feel it is necessary for yourself to stay away from those shows so you don't stumble, that is fine, but don't impose your limitations on others.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Ben

I've never heard of the Rockettes, but if they're scantily clad, then - no I don't think it's appropriate, and it's inviting temptation. (And inviting temptation is a sin because it shows lack of love for God).

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Much of swimwear is immodest to begin with.... Also, an outfit can cover more than a bathing suit and still not be modest. There's also the idea that everything has a time and a place: if it's okay to wear bathing suits at the beach, this does not mean it's okay in other contexts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's been many years now, but as I recall the costumes were not very important. The focus was on the choreography. And as New Dawn has said, it is a family program, and the Rockettes were only a part of it.

Also, our Lord went about amid common folk, ate with sinners, and imbibed. He was remarkably free of legalistic constraints, because He had only one thing in mind - loving and saving others.

While I personally would have no interest in going, I could see where this would be either a waste of time, something good, or something bad, depending on circumstances. I would ask the Lord and let the Spirit lead.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Rockettes are probably the world's best precision dance team. Nothing in their act is "suggestive" or immoral. The act is far superior to many things a lot of Christians watch on TV or in films. If the OP is suggesting that a woman kicking up her legs or being "scantily clad" is immoral then I would suggest never watching any female sports, going to the cinema, watching TV, going to the mall or the beach or being in any public place as many of today's females wear immodest clothing. At least to see the Rockettes you have to make the deliberate choice and pay an admission as opposed to having immodestly female forms thrown in your fact without warning.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A quick google images search reveals that the Rockettes Christmas outfits don't appear immodest, unless a lot of leg covered in tights/dance hose is immodest.

That being said, I agree with the point that's been made about if it could cause you to stumble, don't go.

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's been many years now, but as I recall the costumes were not very important. The focus was on the choreography. And as New Dawn has said, it is a family program, and the Rockettes were only a part of it.

Does choreography make immodesty acceptable?

Also, our Lord went about amid common folk, ate with sinners, and imbibed. He was remarkably free of legalistic constraints, because He had only one thing in mind - loving and saving others. . .

To imbibe is to drink, the assumption is, alcohol. Yes, they did drink wine in those days because of the lack of refridgeration, but Jesus did not "hang out" with those he was trying to "save," and casually drink. This is a very wrong assumption. No scriptural support, and plenty of warning in the bible about alcohol.

Furthermore, legalism is the doctrine of salvation by works. Obviously, Jesus did not go about trying to be saved by his works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Rockettes are probably the world's best precision dance team.

Does precision dancing make immodesty acceptable?

Where do we get the definition of immodesty?

Nothing in their act is "suggestive" or immoral. The act is far superior to many things a lot of Christians watch on TV or in films. If the OP is suggesting that a woman kicking up her legs or being "scantily clad" is immoral then I would suggest never watching any female sports, going to the cinema, watching TV, going to the mall or the beach or being in any public place as many of today's females wear immodest clothing.

I can't help it if people at the grocery store choose to dress immodestly. I must shop. However, I don't have to go to strongly questionable events where one can expect immodesty.

Also, Rev. Robor, do you think a bathing suit is not suggestive? Especially a bikini?

David looked first:

2 Sam. 11
[2] And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
[3] And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bath-sheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?
[4] And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.

One thing leads to another. What did Job say?

Job 31
[1] I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?

He made a covenant with his EYES, not his heart, or his attitude, or his appreciation for sports, or choreography.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does precision dancing make immodesty acceptable?

Where do we get the definition of immodesty?

I can't help it if people at the grocery store choose to dress immodestly. I must shop. However, I don't have to go to strongly questionable events where one can expect immodesty.

Also, Rev. Robor, do you think a bathing suit is not suggestive? Especially a bikini?

David looked first:

2 Sam. 11
[2] And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
[3] And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bath-sheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?
[4] And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.

One thing leads to another. What did Job say?

Job 31
[1] I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?

He made a covenant with his EYES, not his heart, or his attitude, or his appreciation for sports, or choreography.

There is nothing questionable about the Rockettes. They are a dance team. Hasn't your daughter ever taken dance classes and been in a recital? :doh:

Anyway, as has been said several times now, if you stumble seeing this stuff, it is fine for you to censor yourself, but please don't impute your weakness to all of us. Some of us actually like to see people using their dancing talents. It can be very beautiful!

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's exactly what I implied in my response. Today's "bikinis" are much more immodest than anything the Rockettes ever thought of wearing.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Ben

Some scriptures come to mind on this subject.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him (1 John 2:15).

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak (Mt 26:41 and Mk 14:38).

Abstain from all appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22).

... Because it is written, Be you holy; for I am holy (1 Pet 1:15,16).

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Rockettes wear that which a dancer must wear in order to not get caught up in their costume while executing the moves. It's no different than what a figure skater would wear. You must wear clothing that does not restrict movement or pose the threat of injury to the dancer (for example, tripping over a long-hem skirt or dress). I am a hoop dancer and I must wear clothing that allows me to manipulate my hula hoops so that I don't get hurt. This usually requires wearing sleeveless tops and form fitting pants (such as Yoga pants). I also have to make sure I wear my hair a certain way, as it is long and I tend to grab it when executing certain moves or it gets in the way. It's not an outfit I'd wear to Sunday morning church service, but I don't consider it immodest, although some other people might (those who think it's sinful for women to wear pants or expose her upper arms, for example). I don't dress like this because I'm trying to attract attention to my figure. I wear the outfits, because it is necessary for my dancing.

I just find it so sad when believers try and suck the joy out of anything that is fun or entertaining just because they are wrapped up in their legalistic views (and to claim that "no true Christian would see the Rockettes perform" *is* professing a works-based righteousness and salvation). The Rockettes aren't wearing 6" acrylic platforms, tube tops and swinging from poles, for Pete's sake. I suppose some of you find competitive swimming inappropriate for "true Christians" to enjoy watching or, heaven forbid!, participate in.

Upvote 0