Question for the dems

H

HollandScotts

Pelosi talked of a common sence plan to bring down gas back in '06, anyone remember that. Bashed the republicans for skyrocketing energy prices, but what have they done? Oil is setting records on a daily basis, and food is also skyrocketing now because of the only energy policy the dems gave us in the past 2 years. And because of these floods, we might not have enough corn for the mandate.

They have done nothing about the speculators, even though they have been told time and time again that it's speculation driving the market up.

They haven't allowed any new drilling or exploration.

They haven't started construction of any nuclear power plants.

They have taken no steps in making us less dependent on foreign oil.

So I ask, what have the dems done for energy, and why should we elect Obama when he clearly lacks any energy plan, and when this energy crisis is only going to get worse and worse?

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Pelosi talked of a common sence plan to bring down gas back in '06, anyone remember that. Bashed the republicans for skyrocketing energy prices, but what have they done? Oil is setting records on a daily basis, and food is also skyrocketing now because of the only energy policy the dems gave us in the past 2 years. And because of these floods, we might not have enough corn for the mandate.

They have done nothing about the speculators, even though they have been told time and time again that it's speculation driving the market up.

So I ask, what have the dems done for energy, and why should we elect Obama when he clearly lacks any energy plan, and when this energy crisis is only going to get worse and worse?
I just rolled my eyes at the Pelosi statement. The 2007 Energy policy has nothing to do with the price of current oil, and not too sure why you think it has something to do with the raising cost of food?

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
The Dems were dumb to advertise that they could bring down gas prices. To my knowledge, there are no good ways for politicians to significantly lower gas prices. Also, yeah, corn ethanol is pretty much a scam to win votes.

I don't know enough about speculation to comment.
I don't know enough about drilling to comment, but new drilling would hardly bring the price down a few cents a gallon, and would take years to (maybe) pay off. We need to be moving to renewables faster and harder.
This is what irks me. Obama is "agnostic" on nuclear power, and would support it if we could work out some of the problems. One of the reasons is that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is from Nevada, the site of the Yucca Mountain facility where we would store nuclear waste. It's perfectly safe, but the people of Nevada are infuriatingly stubborn and irrational about it, and have been stonewalling actual progress. We need nuclear power.

If you'd bothered to look on his website before dismissing him, you might find Obama's energy plan. It's not perfect, but there's a lot of information. If the Dems win the presidency, I think we'll see real progress. But both parties have been irrational and stupid on energy issues.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
I just rolled my eyes at the Pelosi statement. The 2007 Energy policy has nothing to do with the price of current oil, and not too sure why you think it has something to do with the raising cost of food?
Corn farmers are a powerful lobby in key Midwestern states, and they want subsidies to grow corn for fuel instead of food. Corn ethanol is inefficient as energy sources go, and it raises food prices because lots of farmers who would otherwise grow food corn or other grains are switching to corn for conversion into ethanol.

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Blame Phil Gramm. It was he who slid in the provision repealing regulation on commodities trading...just before he retired and went to work as a lobbyist for...commodity trading firms. Hmmm....

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Corn farmers are a powerful lobby in key Midwestern states, and they want subsidies to grow corn for fuel instead of food. Corn ethanol is inefficient as energy sources go, and it raises food prices because lots of farmers who would otherwise grow food corn or other grains are switching to corn for conversion into ethanol.
So in the realm of produce it is raising? My apologize, I really don't pay attention to how much a bag of carrots cost.

Upvote 0
H

HollandScotts

So in the realm of produce it is raising? My apologize, I really don't pay attention to how much a bag of carrots cost.
It's not about the carrots. It's about the corn. Next time you're in a store, flip the bag of chip around, or the can of coke, or just about any processed food, and you'll see corn in there. Corn meal, corn starch, corn flour, corn glutten meal, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, ect.

How about meat? Poultry and beef farmers feed their stock with corn meal based feeds. There price of feed has doubled.
If you'd bothered to look on his website before dismissing him, you might find Obama's energy plan. It's not perfect, but there's a lot of information. If the Dems win the presidency, I think we'll see real progress. But both parties have been irrational and stupid on energy issues.
I was hoping there would actually be a real policy on his site. There isn't. I'm sorry, but any policy that doesn't include utilizing the known sources of oil, and looking for more, isn't an energy policy, it's a joke. His policy is nothing more than a buncha global warming hoopla. Clean this, clean that. Cellulosic this, hybrid that.

Is he going to cut taxes 100% for all new generation electric cars, or cars that get over 50MPG, and do the same thing with the taxes we charge on the supplies the car makers use to build the cars? Combine that with major tax rebates and you'll have some very affordable, energy efficeint cars. Until then, it's all talk.

How about using nuclear to free up our coal and natural gas so we can make oil out of the coal and use that and the natural gas as transportaion fuels?

Is he going to drop stupid air quality mandates that threaten to destroy our economy, like the ultra-low sulfur regulations for deisel fuel?

Now that would be a real energy policy.
I don't know enough about drilling to comment, but new drilling would hardly bring the price down a few cents a gallon, and would take years to (maybe) pay off. We need to be moving to renewables faster and harder.
When a Nigerian pipeline gets blown up, oil jump 5$ a barrel because of speculators. If America announced a renewed campaign to utilize this country's resources, it would immediately affect speculation. Besides, we need to develop new oil fields now for future use.
I don't know enough about speculation to comment.
Read up on the "InterContinental Exchange", the CFTC the "Commodities Modernization Act of 2000", Enron and what it did with Californian electricity, and what happened in Texas with natural gas in the past few years.
I just rolled my eyes at the Pelosi statement.
So did I, when she said it.
The 2007 Energy policy has nothing to do with the price of current oil, and not too sure why you think it has something to do with the raising cost of food?
You don't know about corn-based ethanol? You don't know that for every unit of energy it takes to process the corn into ethanol, we only get 1.2 units of energy back? You don't know that once you sick it in your gas, your milage goes down since it doesn't burn clean and gums up the engine. You don't know that a 10% blend of gas and ethanol will melt a fiberglass fuel tank and gum up the entire fuel system? You don't know that since '06, corn has trippled in price? And coffee, and soy, and wheat, and on and on. There isn't enough farmland to grow all the corn for our fuel, for our food, ad for the food of people we export to. It's not our shelves that go empty in a food run, it's the shelves of poor, 3rd world nations.

And you're deluded to think that current energy policy, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with the prices of energy.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
It's not about the carrots. It's about the corn. Next time you're in a store, flip the bag of chip around, or the can of coke, or just about any processed food, and you'll see corn in there. Corn meal, corn starch, corn flour, corn glutten meal, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, ect.

How about meat? Poultry and beef farmers feed their stock with corn meal based feeds.
Ahhh...gotcha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gremlins

Feb 2, 2008
✟10,038.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love how you idiots blame speculators when the people to blame are the bureaucrats, helicopter Ben, and the illuminati. Too many dollars chasing too few commodities = gasp!!! rising costs.

Is it just me who lol'ed at someone who thinks it's the Illumati's fault calling everyone else "idiots"?

Upvote 0