Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok so are you saying that before aprox 380AD people had no Word of God in form of NT scripture?

Not in the form of a Bible as we know it. Most of what Christians believed was taught through oral tradition and various written teachings from Church fathers such as St. Ignatius of Antioch and St. Polycarp, both of whom were disciples of John.

There were many writings from various sects of early Christianity. Gnostic's, Aryans and other groups had writings of their own. Not until the Church, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, brought together the writings that they deemed as inspired, did a canon exist.

The Old Testament Canon, which is based on the Septuagint of the Old Testament, was accepted by the Church around 257AD. This is the Greek version of the OT, and it contains 7 more books than what you'll find in Protestant Bibles like the King James, which use the Hebrew version of the OT.

Jim

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
[/i][/b][/color]One has to wonder, don't you, according to your signature, believe that the people didn't have the Word of God until 1611 A.D.?
Not only that, but the KJV of 1611 was a reactionary decree of a king that had personal issues with previous editions, specifically the Geneva 156o (which I enjoy so much more than the KJV). And *gasp!* the Geneva had the deuterocanonicals in it! (my apologies, I've been following this thread and just couldn't help myself)

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so are you saying that before aprox 380AD people had no Word of God in form of NT scripture?

The canon of Scripture was compiled in order to know what books should or shouldn't be read in the Liturgy. There were churches that rejected Revelation as inspired (especially some of the 7 listed in ch. 2 & 3). There were other churches, such as Corinth, that read the Letter of Clement as if it were inspired. Who knew what should or shouldn't be read in worship? Not everyone could agree. Somebody had to decide for the faithful.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP

May I come in on this one please?

There were many writings about Jesus , the apostles , the Church etc. going around.

Amongst them were the writings we now call the NT.

The Church had to decide which of these many writings were to be included in the Canon of Scripture.

This was done about 380AD.

And so we have the Bible given to us by the Church through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep, it included the Deuterocanonical books and, as I understand, weren't omitted until the Westminister Confession of 1648.
And yet, the Reformed still approved of reading the deuterocanonicals inasmuch as they are beneficial and seen as to be in agreement with (their view) of the rest of the Scriptures ;)

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And yet, the Reformed still approved of reading the deuterocanonicals inasmuch as they are beneficial and seen as to be in agreement with (their view) of the rest of the Scriptures ;)

As I understand it, over 80% of the OT quotes found in the NT are in the Septuagint version of the OT. To eliminate the deuterocanonical portion of the OT, which is only in the Septuagint version, you'd eliminate many of the references made in the NT.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, over 80% of the OT quotes found in the NT are in the Septuagint version of the OT. To eliminate the deuterocanonical portion of the OT, which is only in the Septuagint version, you'd eliminate many of the references made in the NT.

Jim
My husband would agree. I have only read a couple of books of the deuterocanonicals (Susana and Judith). Hubby is studying Maccabees.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thank You,

I perfectly understand that. And that was my point in stating so. Why I am different in my position. I only Believe the Bible. I attend a Baptist Church but I do not believe what my Pastor says unless it it from the Bible. I put 100% of my faith in what the Bible says. It over rides what my Pastor says. That is why I do not consider myself "A Baptist" but a Christian only. I don't believe the "Baptist doctrine" outside of what the Bible says.

That is not to say that Catholics do not believe the Bible, But the Catholic faith is based upon what the Catholic Church establishes as true doctrine. If I am misinformed here then I stand corrected.

Other than that I did not mean to insinuate anything else. If I did appear that way then I apologize.

One more thing To say that every Christian believes the Bible would be a false statement in general because the truth is, there are many Christians that never even read their Bibles.

Lord Bless,

Pardon me, but that's a pretty silly thing to do.

The bible didn't fall form the sky. there is a context and we all read it based on one premise or another.

It's the premise one needs to be concerned with. Where does the underlying premise come from and why do you believe it?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is not to say that Catholics do not believe the Bible, But the Catholic faith is based upon what the Catholic Church establishes as true doctrine. If I am misinformed here then I stand corrected.

Hi. :) I've only skimmed the thread (I'm battling a summer cold and I'm full of OTC drugs and a shade punchy, so if anything I'm mentioning here has already been covered, I apologize.

Your statement above is sort of correct; maybe I can help clarify. As anawim mentioned above, Catholics believe in the Word of God---but whereas to Protestests this means the Bible, to Catholics this means the Bible and Sacred Tradition.

The Apostles originally taught by word of mouth, since there was no Christian Bible for half a century after Christ was born---the first couple books of the New Testament were Galatians and James, both of which were written around the year 49 A.D.; by that time, the Apostles had been spreading the Gospel by word of mouth for sixteen years. Over time, some of the things they said were written down and became Scripture. Some of the things they said were not, and became Sacred Tradition. Both of them date from the same period, and as we believe, both of them are the inspired Word of God, both of them carry the same amount of authority, and both of them complement and interpret one another.

We know which things Tradition consists of because the writings of the earliest Church Fathers (Clement, Athanasius, Ignatius, etc., etc.) list them out for us.

Catholics interpret Scripture and Tradition in light of each other, while Protestants interpret Scripture in light of itself; this is why Catholics and Protestants can take the same verse of Scripture and come up with completely different interpretations. :)

Now, the authority of the Church does define for us what Scripture and Tradition both consist of, to be sure; but the Catholic Faith is built upon the twin pillars of God's Word, being Holy Scripture on the one hand and Sacred Tradition on the other.

Interesting, so what do you do with the scripture that has not been dogmatically interpreted? You meaning all the Catholic people.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dogmatically interpreted". Can you clarify?

I keep hearing this about how if it were not for the Catholic Church we would not have a Bible. What was this first Bible called? If you know.

Sure. For Christians, it was called the Septuagint, which was the Greek translation of the Jewish Scriptures, or basically the Old Testament. It contains the same books as you find in your 1611 King James, along with the books of 1st and 2nd Maccabees, Judith, Sirach, Wisdom, Tobit, Baruch, and some additional chapters in both Esther and Daniel. (These are what Protestants refer to as "The Apocrypha"; they are the books that Martin Luther removed from one of his German editions of the Bible because he didn't like the doctrine in a couple of them, and every Protestant Bible published since has followed suit.)

Incidentally, we know that the Septuagint was the edition of the Scriptures used by Christ, because He quoted from the "Apocrypha" all the time. :)

During the first 400 years of Christian history, there was no clear-cut "canon" for Biblical books; the list which we now have was finally settled on by Pope Damasus at the Council of Rome in 382 A.D.; a couple of years later Damasus' list was confirmed at the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D. The same list was reconfirmed at the Councils of Carthage (397 and 418 A.D.), Florence (1441 A.D.), and Trent (1546 A.D.) In addition, Pope Innocent I declared that the list of the biblical books was closed and no longer open to additions or subtractions in 405 A.D.

Insofar as what the first Bible was called, if you mean the complete collection such as what we have now, it was the Latin Vulgate, published in 400 A.D., and translated by St. Jerome from the Henrew Masora, the Greek Septuagint, and the Vetus Latina. There were of course earlier editions, but they either added books that we now reject, or left out books that we now accept. The edition of Marcion (c. 140 A.D.), for example, held a heavily-edited form of the Gospel of Luke and ten of Paul's epistles, and it left out the Old Testament entirely.

Have any of you heard of the Waldensians Bible of 120 AD

Yes. The story, as it was popularized by writers like Benjamin Wilkinson, is that the Waldensians had an ancient version of the Scriptures dating from 120 A.D., and which was handed down to the "Italic Church" by the Apostles, and it alone remained free of later "corruptions" added by the Catholic Church. The whole thing is largely speculative balderdash and is not even considered by any serious scholar outside the Seventh-Day Adventist denomination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, so what do you do with the scripture that has not been dogmatically interpreted? You meaning all the Catholic people.

I already told you... it is speculation.

We have the FAITH, it's called the deposit of faith. The faith is what Jesus came and passed down to us via His apostles, aka, His 12.

the bible came later.... and it is just what of the faith that men was inspired to write down.

the faith came first. it is called the deposit of faith. This is called Tradition and it is the faith- BOTH oral word and the holy write.

But the faith did not come out of the bible... it came straight from Jesus Christ.

We look to the bible to verify this faith. We do not pick up the bible and make up the faith based on what we interpret.

We were not given a bible, but God's Church that consist of human beings who kept/keep the faith and pass it down both in word and in pen. the two, oral and written are literally one deposit of faith.

The bible is just the written down part, it's what about the faith that the ppl wrote down.

I do not know how else to explain this to you... the bible is sacred, holy and God's word but it is not what you think it is.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, they are not mean about it. I just tell them I love them even tho they are Catholic. LOL, they honestly very much respect my position. But of course as you can imagine there have been some "interesting" conversations. :)

Lord Bless You Rhamiel,

why would you love them in spite of them being Catholic?

It's comment like these that lead me to believe you have very anti Catholicish understanding of Catholics and the faith itself.

like a, "poor Catholics" type of mentality pertaining to us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 22, 2010
✟7,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am Catholic and Christian at the same time because they are both equal to one another, but if you ask me what I am, I am going to say Catholic point blank. Many people can be Christian but not everyone proudly is a part of the first church that was established by our Lord Jesus Christ himself.

Upvote 0

1611AV

REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.
May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why would you love them in spite of them being Catholic?

It's comment like these that lead me to believe you have very anti Catholicish understanding of Catholics and the faith itself.

like a, "poor Catholics" type of mentality pertaining to us.

its called humor bene, get over yourself already.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1611AV,

to wrap this up, the break down in communication is simply this.

The faith was given to us first - the book came out later on down the line.

We have been given the faith, which is the doctrines, the beliefs, etc. It's what was was established before the book came out and when we read the book, we can see them in there so clearly. But you have to know what they are.

You just read the bible and try to formulate a theology and doctrine based on what YOU read. what makes you right?

Upvote 0