Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was just reading the book of Job with the NAB version. As I was beginning to read Elihu's response to Job and his three friends I noticed something in the second part of the following verse:

"He was angry also with the three friends because they had not found a good answer and had not condemned Job."
Job 32:3 NAB

The second part of the verse should read, "and had condemned Job." The 'not' in that pat of the verse should NOT be there.

It's no big deal really it is just something I noticed. I wonder if anyone else's NAB has this error as well?

:D

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why does the Lord's Prayer in the NAB read so differently from other Bibles? Is it because of the manuscript(s) the NAB scholars have chosen to use?

For example Matt 6:13 reads, "and do not subject us to the final test..." instead of "and lead us not into temptation."

:confused:

Upvote 0

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't ignoring you. I was posting my second post immediately after posting the first. As to your question...

Sure we can talk about aliens if you want. How about you make a thread about aliens? It is good to keep threads on the original topic so that things stay organized. :)

Edit: I have seen your thread after I posted this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture, Divine Revelation

"The Holy See rejected this text as the basis of a revised Lectionary for the United States."

I recently encountered:
Today's' English Version - Catholic (1992). This is the Catholic edition of the popular Good News Bible by the American Bible Society. Translated according to the principle of dynamic equivalence for readability. The same principle was used by ICEL to translate the Mass texts. Would be better to call a paraphrase than a translation.

For accuracy its best to stick with the:

Revised Standard Version (RSV) - Catholic Edition
Douai-Rheims
Confraternity Edition
Jerusalem Bible

Upvote 0

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thanks JoabAnias :)

I have the Challoner-Rheims. Is that the same one you are referring to when you say the Douay-Rheims or should I look for the original edition? I can't believe I still do not have the RSV-CE. That is definitely the next Bible I will buy. I would like to have all of those Bibles you listed one day.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks JoabAnias :)

I have the Challoner-Rheims. Is that the same one you are referring to when you say the Douay-Rheims or should I look for the original edition? I can't believe I still do not have the RSV-CE. That is definitely the next Bible I will buy. I would like to have all of those Bibles you listed one day.

No, The Bishop Richard Challoner is a mildly edited version but still a faithful and literal translation of St. Jerome's Vulgate into English.

Quoted and parphrased from the preface of my version:

"St. Jerome knew Latin and Greek perfectly; he also knew Hebrew and Aramaic nearly as well. He was 1500 years closer to the original languages than any scholar today, which made him a much better judge of the exact meaning of any Greek or Hebrew word in the Scriptures. He had access to ancient Hebrew and Greek manuscripts of the 2nd and 3rd centuries which have since perished and are no longer available to scholars today.

Jerome's translation was a carefully, word-for-word rendering of the original tests into Latin and read and honored by the Western Church for 1500 years. The Douay-Rheims is a faithful, word-for-word translation of the Latin Vulgate Bible of St. Jerome.

The Douay-Rheims translators took great pains to translate exactly.

Contrary to the procedure of modern Bible translators, when a passage seems strange and unintelligible they left it alone, even if obscure, and "let the chips fall where they may."

Modern translators, on the other hand, will often look at an obscure passage, decide what they think it means, then translate the words that bring out that meaning. The result is that the English is usually (but not always!) easier to understand, but not necessarily what the Bible says; rather, it is their interpretation and understanding of what the Bible says. Moreover, the Holy Ghost may have hidden additional meanings in the passage. Those meanings may well be completely translated out."

The preface then goes on; to describe how the minor revisions of the Challoner came about and why which Bishop Challoner carefully checked against the Clementine Vulgate and the original-language texts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.