Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi God bless everyone.

A few weeks ago I posted about an issue at my new workplace. We "have to" use approx. numbers when we do certain documents. I suffer from OCD which has "extreme honesty", and I can't tolerate situations when you have to "make up" certain numbers. Maybe they are not lies, but I still don't like it.

I prayed about it a lot, and thank God now I don't have to do that part of the job. Even when the man who does it is on holiday, I make the paper and an other man does the counting part of it.

I work in logistics. We make this document when we load a truck. The guy who deliever the parts brings some of the papers with himself to the other company. There, they sign the documents (the other company), so they show us that it is ok for them. Then we get back the documents and book them.

And sometimes I have to do the booking. My question is, do you think it is still a sin/bad to do it? If someone lies on a paper, and then you have to work with that paper. Even if those are not "lies" but approx. numbers.

I am curious about this in general too, not only in my current situation.

I hope it is understandable. If not, I can link the original post, or explain it more.

Thank you, God bless.

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it would grieve your conscience then I would advise against it. As I'm lead to understand, the "rules" in the bible are "by the spirit" and not "by the letter"; lying itself isn't "bad" if the spirit is "good"; meaning, if your intent is good, and not, bad. For instance, the midwives lied to save people's lives; and God rewarded them for this: Exodus 1:18-20

I don't know about the reasoning for the approximation of numbers in your job, but if all parties know and recognize that the numbers being used are approximation, and are being approximated for the use of efficiency or whatnot, then there's nothing wrong with it. If the numbers are being approximated with intent to deceive for purpose of self-gain or something similar, then that would be different.

Reactions: Zoleee
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
nope. you work with what you are given.
the responsibility rests with the man who does the counting, and the one who does the checking.
from what you've said above you are not the one responsible for verifying that the numbers are correct, nor is it your responsibility to do the actual counting.
so in this case i think that if you do your job of data entry to the best of your ability, then you're fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoleee
Upvote 0

Zoleee

So do not fear, for I am with you Isaiah 41:10
Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the answers.

Yes, the companies are totally aware of this, and I only do my job after everyone signed the documents,which means that it is okay for them.

I talked about it with a priest while confessing, but he didnt mention this thing after.

It is really tough for me, because I have to do this sometimes, and I feel really bad after this. I feel like committing a mortal sin.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what you should do, but in the bible (Joshua 2) Rahab hid two spies and then lied to the King of Jericho as to their whereabouts. She was rewarded by having her family spared from the massacre. So, maybe it depends on the motive, I don't know.

Upvote 0