Question about canibas

Tadhg

Nov 21, 2015
✟8,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
can a Christian smoke canabis and still be a Christian. I have osteogenesis imperfecta OI for short that God I have a mild form. But I have a lot of pain over this. I was told by the doctor that I'm gong to have to take high powered pain killers put I refused to. I'm thinking about if the pain gets very bad to smoke a bit of canabis for the pain.
Is the bible against this?

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
can a Christian smoke canabis and still be a Christian. I have osteogenesis imperfecta OI for short that God I have a mild form. But I have a lot of pain over this. I was told by the doctor that I'm gong to have to take high powered pain killers put I refused to. I'm thinking about if the pain gets very bad to smoke a bit of canabis for the pain.
I have never seen any evidence that the Bible even mentions canabis, so it would seem fine to use.

• Agree
Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Here is a good article about the recreational use of marajuana. http://www.gotquestions.org/recreational-marijuana.html

Here is another about the medical use: http://www.gotquestions.org/medical-marijuana.html

I've considered it for pain relief but I don't believe there is adequate research to move me into the realm of marajuana use. In my case my background that I've overcome with A.A. and other treatments has included the use of drugs and alcohol. So for me, using it is probably not a good idea. I sure don't want to go back to where I was with all the substance abuse.

Peace,

Upvote 0

ElxDalto

Aug 4, 2016
Texas
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I stopped using recently. Weed is not good for thinking, so when it comes to pleasing God its probably frowned upon. Good thing about it is that its not physically addictive like most drugs out there (if it is just barley). It is however mentally addictive, so don't end up using everyday then feel like you can't live without it... cause you can. It clouds your mind and don't let other potheads tell you otherwise.... they're stoners trying to justify their cause... getting high.

Cannabis has medicinal properties for sure but can be abused.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Replacing a drug with another kind of drug isnt really the answer.

With prayer and fasting all things can go out. But few people want to try that and prefer the easy way.

Its up to you.
Jesus refused to take drugs to numb the pain when he was on the cross. He was offered alcohol, and stuff that could kill him and make it easier to die. He didnt take it.

Upvote 0

QuietBeauty

Feb 4, 2016
The Internet
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think whatever decision you make in life as a christian is up to you but at the same time I think it all depends on your heart and why you want to do this. Remember that God should come first in any decision we make, so be careful with what you choose. Also, No offense but it sounds like your just making up excuses to smoke - the doctor said he/she would give you painkillers for the pain so why smoke?

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You don't have to smoke it. I cooked and drank it for over 1 1/2 years for pain. I never felt high. My thinking was not messed up. I used to be so against Marijuana--until I started doing the research. All I can say is thank God that the Israeli's did research on it and came up with the medical use of it. I am opposed to "recreational" use of it. That is against God. It's so absurd that people would prefer you take heavy duty man made pain killers that have all kinds of side affects to them as opposed to a plant with so much fewer side affects, if any. I got nothing but good results out of it. It helped a lot more than the pain. I'd had bleeding gums for years, if I did not floss every day, they would hurt and bleed like crazy. I got cavities every year. On this, the bleeding stopped, my teeth just plain felt stronger. I experimented and did not floss for 7 days--no pain or bleeding. I had no cavities. There were other gastrointestinal benefits. I only quite because I could not afford it. Here, it was costing $100.00 every 40 days. Every year it cost $235 to renew the license. Just too much. I had to go back to taking tramadol. I had taken it before the MMJ, and still had to take some with it, but I went from 6-8 a day (8 is the max you are allowed to use a day) to 2 or 3 sometimes only 1. I am back to 4-6 a day. Not quite as much pain as I had before the MMJ.
I was desperate as there was no drug that I took, except for the tramadol, that my body did not adjust to and override. 3 days was the max any other drug, including Methadone, ever worked. I've been on tramadol for years now. only thing that keeps working on me. I was tired of crying in pain every single day, and the only thing I could pray for anymore was for God to take me. I just could not stand it any more. I prayed about the marijuana, but could not afford it--it cost over $500 to get on it. Out of the blue, a friend of my husband, who didn't even know me, gave us the money for me to go on it. He had been down once and someone helped him with the only stipulation being that he help others when he could--he felt it was me. I could only thank God. I was never pain free, but all I wanted was to just have it at levels I could at lest live with. I got my life back with it. My husband and I are both on disability and just can't afford it, otherwise I would still be on it.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Tadhg - You see, in the beginning all the plants were good, but when the earth was cursed because of adam, then there was WEED ;)
No, consumed substances are not prohibited. However, the effects it has can be cause for prohibition on a personal level if it causes you harm. The main deal why "authorities" do not like marijuana is because people become hard to manage as worker bees under the influence. A reason why cannabis is prohibited is because it can be used for medicinal reasons that puts pharmaceutical lobbyists out of business.
So I think the issue of greed ruling the government is a bigger issue, and the government's covetous need to control everything another issue that the bible actually does teach against....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Tadhg - I was reminded of a proverb

Let beer be for those who are perishing,
wine for those who are in anguish!
Let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.
(Proverbs 31:6-7)

Since weed does not kill people, it's useful as a painkiller when people are in anguish, poverty, and misery.

Because of the way God made me, I don't need it, but i've known people who have and this proverb really speaks to those situations.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think whatever decision you make in life as a christian is up to you but at the same time I think it all depends on your heart and why you want to do this. Remember that God should come first in any decision we make, so be careful with what you choose. Also, No offense but it sounds like your just making up excuses to smoke - the doctor said he/she would give you painkillers for the pain so why smoke?
In what world would pain killers be better for a person than pot. Statists boggle my mind.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
If you can avoid pain killers--do so. They will kill you. Just read the side affects. Many are trying to get ibuprofen off the market as many have died from it. I couldn't figure why I kept vomiting. Then I had 3 days of being unable to keep anything down, including water. Something said it was the ibuprofen. I stopped taking it---things cleared up. I had taken it for years without problems before this. I was confused. Then my back pain hit a flare up and I took just a couple of them for a few days--all of a sudden I was horribly dizzy, and non-stop vomiting. I felt like I was going to die. My husband called the ambulance. I was in the hospital over night, all sorts of tests and lab work--they could find nothing. It took some super medication to stop my vomiting. I have not touched ibuprofen again---have had no further problems for over a year. I read a couple months ago one little side affect---continuous, non-stop vomiting. It was not mentioned on any other site but this one. But I now see what many people are saying about it. Those other heavy duty pain killers are horrible for you, it's ridiculous to use them if you can avoid it. I will not take ibuprofen again. I have never in my entire life felt so sick.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus refused to take drugs to numb the pain when he was on the cross. He was offered alcohol, and stuff that could kill him and make it easier to die.
Actually what he was offered was vinegar. Not a pain killer, (Rome wanted their executed to suffer) nor a poison. (Rome wanted to stretch it out as long as possible)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Tadhg: Has these treatments been of any help... http://www.oif.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PainMgmt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you get pain, order it like you order a dog, "Pain go in the name of Jesus."

And then afterward make no inclination that, "Oh, this didn't work" or whatever sort of thoughts come at your mind following it, just don't go with those, just stick to what you said.

Try it for a week.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe there is anything biblically wrong with using cannabis in small doses for your pain. Although there is no evidence for use of cannabis in the bible it does state
1 Timothy 5:23
No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.
I fail to see why a couple of people here are not acknowledging that the bible does condone use of substances that can help take away pain.
I need to add that even though I do not believe there is anything biblically wrong with it I do not recommend obtaining it illegally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am going to try the CBD oil in my e-cig. They say the THE in cannabis is what causes the high which is not what I want. I have read many testimonies that the CBD has done a lot of good for killing pain. I would suggest trying the CBD. It comes in several forms unless you are looking for the high in which case I would say no God does not approve. Some people like to pick out certain verses from the Bible to serve their purposes....look, look, the Bible says I can drink beer and wine, well yes it does but also the Bible says.....to get drunk is a sin so it seems getting high would be the same ?
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Lev 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
So it seems we can drink alcohol in small amounts but not get drunk, I believe the idea is to not do anything that messes with your thought processes.
Again I suggest trying the CBD in different forms if you are just wanting pain

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually what he was offered was vinegar. Not a pain killer, (Rome wanted their executed to suffer) nor a poison. (Rome wanted to stretch it out as long as possible)

There appears to be some variation, but the combination of words used in Matthew and Mark describe pain killing properties within the range of their definitions.

[ Making use of KJV + Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries ]

They gave him vinegar3690 to drink mingled with gall:5521 and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. <---> Matthew 27:34

G3690
ὄξος
oxos
ox'-os
From G3691; vinegar, that is, sour wine: - vinegar.

G5521
χολή
cholē
khol-ay'
Feminine of an equivalent perhaps akin to the same as G5514 (from the greenish hue); “gall” or bile, that is, (by analogy) poison or an anodyne* (wormwood, poppy, etc.): - gall.

*anodyne - capable of relieving pain.

And they gave him to drink wine3631 mingled with myrrh:4669 but hereceived it not. <---> Mark 15:23

G3631
οἶνος
oinos
oy'-nos
A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); “wine” (literally or figuratively): - wine.

G4669
σμυρνίζω
smurnizō
smoor-nid'-zo
From G4667; to tincture with myrrh, that is, embitter (as a narcotic*): - mingle with myrrh.

*narcotic - a drug which causes stupor or numbness.

Also in Pslams -

They gave me also gall7219 for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar2558 to drink. <---> Psalm 69:21

H7219
רושׁ ראשׁ
rô'sh rôsh
roshe, roshe
Apparently the same as H7218; a poisonous plant, probably the poppy* (from its conspicuous head); generally poison (even of serpents): - gall, hemlock, posion, venom.

*Poppy - plant from which opiates are derived.

H2558
חמץ
chômets
kho'-mets
From H2566; vinegar: - vinegar.

The following account gives credence to the idea that the 'drink' offered to Christ was to 'quiet him', from crying out in agony, or in other words 'to ease his suffering'.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias.
And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.
The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. <---> Matthew 27:46-49

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is a quote from a modern day herbalist -

Vinegar has been used for thousands of years to preserve food, disinfect surfaces, deodorize and make medicinal formulas. In fact, before stills were used to produce high-proof alcohol, most herbal extracts were made with solvents like water, wine and vinegar.
The people who offered Christ the fortified vinegar are referred to as 'they'. They could of been some of the roman soldiers, and / or some of the Jews who came along with them. Either way it likely tasted bad / bitter, and if someone were to drink it fast, (thinking it was water to quench their thrist), it would likely gag them...so there may well have been some 'cruel intentions' mixed in, (as is implied in Psalm 69 ), along with those who likely sought to offer a pain reducing formula. (When he cried out in agony.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There appears to be some variation, but the combination of words used in Matthew and Mark describe pain killing properties within the range of their definitions.

[ Making use of KJV + Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries ]

They gave him vinegar3690 to drink mingled with gall:5521 and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. <---> Matthew 27:34

G3690
ὄξος
oxos
ox'-os
From G3691; vinegar, that is, sour wine: - vinegar.

G5521
χολή
cholē
khol-ay'
Feminine of an equivalent perhaps akin to the same as G5514 (from the greenish hue); “gall” or bile, that is, (by analogy) poison or an anodyne* (wormwood, poppy, etc.): - gall.

*anodyne - capable of relieving pain.

And they gave him to drink wine3631 mingled with myrrh:4669 but hereceived it not. <---> Mark 15:23

G3631
οἶνος
oinos
oy'-nos
A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); “wine” (literally or figuratively): - wine.

G4669
σμυρνίζω
smurnizō
smoor-nid'-zo
From G4667; to tincture with myrrh, that is, embitter (as a narcotic*): - mingle with myrrh.

*narcotic - a drug which causes stupor or numbness.

Also in Pslams -

They gave me also gall7219 for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar2558 to drink. <---> Psalm 69:21

H7219
רושׁ ראשׁ
rô'sh rôsh
roshe, roshe
Apparently the same as H7218; a poisonous plant, probably the poppy* (from its conspicuous head); generally poison (even of serpents): - gall, hemlock, posion, venom.

*Poppy - plant from which opiates are derived.

H2558
חמץ
chômets
kho'-mets
From H2566; vinegar: - vinegar.

The following account gives credence to the idea that the 'drink' offered to Christ was to 'quiet him', from crying out in agony, or in other words 'to ease his suffering'.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias.
And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.
The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. <---> Matthew 27:46-49

The following is a quote from a modern day herbalist -

Vinegar has been used for thousands of years to preserve food, disinfect surfaces, deodorize and make medicinal formulas. In fact, before stills were used to produce high-proof alcohol, most herbal extracts were made with solvents like water, wine and vinegar.
The people who offered Christ the fortified vinegar are referred to as 'they'. They could of been some of the roman soldiers, and / or some of the Jews who came along with them. Either way it likely tasted bad / bitter, and if someone were to drink it fast, (thinking it was water to quench their thrist), it would likely gag them...so there may well have been some 'cruel intentions' mixed in, (as is implied in Psalm 69 ), along with those who likely sought to offer a pain reducing formula. (When he cried out in agony.)

Since we do not have to suffer for the redemption of either the world or ourselves; medications that alleviate suffering regardless if pharmaceutical or natural are gifts from God and like all of God's gifts, responsible, moderate use of anything that works that is not prohibited by the law of the land (render unto Caesar) is not only not sinful, but preferable and merciful to those who suffer.

I think it was St. Paul that suggested that St. Timothy take some wine for his bad stomach.

Upvote 0