Not open for further replies.

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good introductory books to read about Quaker beliefs? I very much would like to go to an unprogrammed meeting, but wish to delve further into my research before going. :) I love the concept of listening to the voice of God within, and letting Him be the focus of an intimate form of worship.

What should I do once I have located a meeting in my area? Should I make an appointment to talk to someone first?

J

JoeB

I'm not a Quaker but have been to Quaker meetings. You don't need to make an appointment, just turn up at the meeting, go in and sit down quietly. Enjoy the quietness which will occasionally be broken by someone offering ministry. Ministry is when a Friend stands up and offers a few words of "ministry". Services last around 1 hour, when friends then shake hands to end the meeting.

A book to read is A Light that is Shining by Harvey Gillman. If you write to the Quakers they will probly send you a free copy.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a Quaker but have been to Quaker meetings. You don't need to make an appointment, just turn up at the meeting, go in and sit down quietly. Enjoy the quietness which will occasionally be broken by someone offering ministry. Ministry is when a Friend stands up and offers a few words of "ministry". Services last around 1 hour, when friends then shake hands to end the meeting.

A book to read is A Light that is Shining by Harvey Gillman. If you write to the Quakers they will probly send you a free copy.
Thank you so much Joe, I appreciate your reply. :) I wasn't sure whether just showing up would be appropriate without talking to someone first. :)

Upvote 0

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm not Quaker, but an occassional visitor. I must say, I've found that a whole hour of silence is difficult when you're not used to it :)
:) I bet it is, but I am definitely looking forward! I've always had the feeling that everything going on at church was distracting me from what I was supposed to be thinking about, you know? So the simplicity seems like it would be very centering.

Upvote 0
J

JoeB

:) I bet it is, but I am definitely looking forward! I've always had the feeling that everything going on at church was distracting me from what I was supposed to be thinking about, you know? So the simplicity seems like it would be very centering.
Its true is that, Cat (what do you prefer to be called?) the hustle and bustle of Church can get too much. I attend an evangelical church with a modern worhip group, but sometimes I enjoy sitting at the back in a traditional evensong Anglican service, just to relax. Quaker worship (can you call it worship?) is also a refreshing change. I only have one issue with Quakers, but thats for another thread. When are you going? Please let us know your experience of it too. Which country are you in? because Quakers vary dependent upon nation. Conservative to liberal.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good introductory books to read about Quaker beliefs? I very much would like to go to an unprogrammed meeting, but wish to delve further into my research before going. :) I love the concept of listening to the voice of God within, and letting Him be the focus of an intimate form of worship.

What should I do once I have located a meeting in my area? Should I make an appointment to talk to someone first?

Drop by the meeting place and tell them it's your first time to a silent meeting, and ask them if they have anything you can read to help you understand Quakers and their meetings. Most Quaker meetings are open to new people. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its true is that, Cat (what do you prefer to be called?) the hustle and bustle of Church can get too much. I attend an evangelical church with a modern worhip group, but sometimes I enjoy sitting at the back in a traditional evensong Anglican service, just to relax. Quaker worship (can you call it worship?) is also a refreshing change. I only have one issue with Quakers, but thats for another thread. When are you going? Please let us know your experience of it too. Which country are you in? because Quakers vary dependent upon nation. Conservative to liberal.
I haven't settled on a date yet. Probably a week or 2 after Christmas. (I don't want to interrupt a Christmas Eve service. Are holiday services different than regular ones?).

I am in the United States. I read that within one congregation people can hold different beliefs -- like some people will believe in Jesus, some will not, some will believe in the Trinity and some won't. Is that generally true, or do congregations tend to coalesce around certain common beliefs?

Upvote 0

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Drop by the meeting place and tell them it's your first time to a silent meeting, and ask them if they have anything you can read to help you understand Quakers and their meetings. Most Quaker meetings are open to new people. :)
Just introduce myself to people and say that I am new? *shy!*

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Just introduce myself to people and say that I am new? *shy!*

They are mostly very loving and accepting people. They will be happy to see you and have you join their meeting for the day. No one will bite, I promise! ^_^

Many silent meetings have communal meals after the meeting time, and this is a good place to get to know people and feel more like one of the family.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Besides, before the meeting, they do very little talking, they mostly take their seats and wait for the Spirit, it's after the meeting they do most of their socializing, and by then you will feel more comfortable.

And they are your brothers and sisters in the Lord, so they really are already family! :)

Upvote 0

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are mostly very loving and accepting people. They will be happy to see you and have you join their meeting for the day. No one will bite, I promise! ^_^

Many silent meetings have communal meals after the meeting time, and this is a good place to get to know people and feel more like one of the family.
Thank you Ashes! :D The concept of just shutting out everything else and....listening....to God sounds wonderful to me. :)

Ok, great! I am used to all sorts of formal things that have to happen before joining a church, so I am just double checking. Lol. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Quakers , a web page http://www.quaker.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers
The Religious Society of Friends (commonly known as Quakers) began in England in the 17th century by people who were dissatisfied with the existing denominations and sects of Christianity. Traditionally George Fox has been credited as the founder or the most important early figure. The Society of Friends is counted among the historic peace churches. Since its beginnings in England, Quakerism has spread to other countries, chiefly Bolivia, Guatemala, Kenya, Peru, Cuba and the United States. The number of Quakers is relatively small (approximately 350,000 worldwide[1]), although there are places, such as Pennsylvania (particularly Philadelphia); Newberg, Oregon; Greenleaf, Idaho; Birmingham, England; and Greensboro, North Carolina in which Quaker influence is concentrated.

Upvote 0

J Squirrel

Senior Veteran
Jan 10, 2005
✟9,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize this is a month later, but if you still wanted something to read to get a good idea about the Quakers, here are a couple things I would suggest:

The Journal of George Fox: http://www.strecorsoc.org/gfox/title.html

Primitive Christianity Revived by William Penn: http://www.strecorsoc.org/penn/title.html

Barclay's Apology: http://www.qhpress.org/texts/barclay/apology/index.html

No, just come on by. We don't bite (that would be violent ;)).

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I realize this is a month later, but if you still wanted something to read to get a good idea about the Quakers, here are a couple things I would suggest:

The Journal of George Fox: http://www.strecorsoc.org/gfox/title.html

Primitive Christianity Revived by William Penn: http://www.strecorsoc.org/penn/title.html

Barclay's Apology: http://www.qhpress.org/texts/barclay/apology/index.html

No, just come on by. We don't bite (that would be violent ;)).

The Jesuits taught me to study and the Quakers taught me to listen.

With love in Christ
brother daniel

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.