Protestant Mysticism

SQLservant

Dec 20, 2011
✟15,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's occurred to me that mysticism, while the word is not too common, is alive and well in Evangelical Protestantism today. The term used instead is "personal relationship with Jesus," and the language used to describe it is that of a friendship or romantic partnership. This figures a generally cataphatic-affective spirituality.
I have been quite comforted by this idea as that phrase "personal relationship" has given me some hesitation in the past; what do you think about it?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,080,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"Personal relationship" seems to just be another expression for "fellowship with the Father and the Son". Jesus speaks of manifesting himself to them who love Him, cant get anymore personal then that.

:clap:

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mysticism tends to refer to allegory in the scriptures, the mystery of Christ in the Eucharist, and a way of praying that can be termed contemplative- though we tend to call it mystical prayer. In Orthodoxy- a theologian is one who prays. All of it centers on theosis.

I think that many times- this overemphasis of Jesus being a friend (the buddy Jesus)- or having a romantic partnership with Jesus- just seems slightly blasphemous to me- to be honest. I don't find that to be mystical so much as misguided.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul speaks of Christ in us being a mystery, Jesus said, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. He himself gives of the hidden manna and a white stone with a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Sounds both spiritual and very personal since no man knoweth saving him that receiveth it, and given the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit either.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's occurred to me that mysticism, while the word is not too common, is alive and well in Evangelical Protestantism today. The term used instead is "personal relationship with Jesus," and the language used to describe it is that of a friendship or romantic partnership. This figures a generally cataphatic-affective spirituality.
I have been quite comforted by this idea as that phrase "personal relationship" has given me some hesitation in the past; what do you think about it?

In a general sense I would tend to agree.

Upvote 0
P

prov1810

since most Evangelicals are not Liturgical or Sacramental, that leaves Mystical
It leaves an emphasis on the inscripturated Word and a very discursive religion. In its extreme form, imagery in churches, emotionalism in worship, and silent prayer are considered unorthodox.

There are ways for protestants to be mystical. Scripture-reading induces awe and love beyond words. In doing this we haven't left behind words and creeds as if they are inferior. These experiences are actually rooted in our beliefs, they are not beyond them.

Upvote 0
T

Tiredknight

According to Merriam-webster Mysticism is defined as...

"a religious practice based on the belief that knowledge of spiritual truth can be gained by praying or thinking deeply"

Nothing of what I believe as a christian, believing in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ falls under that...

Mysticism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
According to Merriam-webster Mysticism is defined as...

"a religious practice based on the belief that knowledge of spiritual truth can be gained by praying or thinking deeply"

Nothing of what I believe as a christian, believing in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ falls under that...

Mysticism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

we are talking about mysticism in a Christian context instead of in a general context

maybe you should use a Christian source instead of a dictionary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hostile much?

That is what the word means in the English language. And according to the english language Protestant Doctrine is not Mystical.

I don't think he was being hostile.

Regardless of what English words may mean in the 21st century, the christian dialogue predates Modern English by many centuries, and "mysticism" in the context of the historic christian dialogue means what it means regardless of what any of our dictionaries may say.

Upvote 0

SQLservant

Dec 20, 2011
✟15,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
very good point

the opposite of Mysticism would be Liturgical and Sacramental piety (though both of those have elements of Christian mysticism)
since most Evangelicals are not Liturgical or Sacramental, that leaves Mystical

I think that's where my hesitation comes from. Historically, Christian mystics have been tied into (or at least supportive of them; hermits rarely actually went to church) the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church. Omitting those seems to me to be crippling one's spiritual life's potential, as if to say that we can't encounter God through those other means, or if we can, it's in a way much smaller than through the various affective (perhaps I should say subjective) experiences one has as an individual.

Or maybe I'm just more motivated through my mind than my heart, so I can't really "get it."

Upvote 0

Merrily

Woolly Anglican
Nov 5, 2013
The Heart of Rural England
✟15,542.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is a long tradition protestant mysticism in the UK.
Zinzendorf's Moravians for example and their influence on Wesley.
The Old Southcottian tradition from Richard Brothers, through Joanna Southcott to Wroe and via him to White ( Jezreel the 'Flying Roll' guy).
All were rooted in mysticism and all were tremendously popular in their day.
Angelology and related strands in contemporary protestantism follow similar mystic paths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums