problem i need help with (Moved from Ecclesiology)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalmade777

fearless soljah of the almighty
Jul 14, 2004
san diego
✟15,491.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ok so.. im wanting to study further in eschatology, but i need a place to start.

i was wondering if any of you here could help me, i need resources, commentaries, sermons, podcast..ect. any useful info on the topic..

but i want credible sources. i don't want random wacko's throwing out there opinions. although i am open to many ideas, the theories of kent hovind i find interesting, and im closely connected to the calvary chapel church. although my views don't necessarily line up completely with theres i don't want to stray too far off the beaten path. catch my drift?

so can any of you help me?:wave:

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Almost everyone approaches the subject of eschatology backwards. They try to decipher the dark meanings of the apocalyptical books before they consider the many express statements of coming events.

Nearly the last half of the Old Testament is expressly stated prophecy. But very few have ever studied most of this material.

As an example, probably the best known prophecy in the entire Bible is Micah 5:2 "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting."

But almost no one seems to have even noticed the passage starting just three verses later. "And this man shall be the peace, when the Assyrian shall come into our land: and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men. And they shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword, and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof: thus shall he deliver us from the Assyrian, when he cometh into our land, and when he treadeth within our borders." (Micah 5:5-6)

Here is a very simple statement. It contains nothing mysterious. In fact, the only way to come up with any problem at all in understanding this passage is to question the accuracy of the translation. It has unquestionably never been fulfilled, so it must be about some event that is still future. But it is talking about someone I can almost guarantee you have never heard of.

Who is this individual called "the Assyrian?" It turns out that there is a great deal of express prophecy concerning him, including many explicitly stated details that have never been fulfilled. You will find him in Isaiah 7, 10, 14, 30, and 31, in Micah 5, and all over Nahum. And when these prophecies are understood, I believe he is referred to in Daniel 7 and 11. When all these passages are added together, it comes to significantly more said about this individual that about any other two end time (human) characters. Yet he has been completely missed by every well known teacher of the last hundred years.

The only modern book that I know about that discusses him in detail is "Keys to Bible Prophecy," by ---- me! :blush:

To read many specific details about him go to the eschatology subforum. You will find several threads about him there. Of course, the Op of these threads is- surprisingly - me! :blush:

Upvote 0
W

wmssid

1) 42 Months: AD 600-1860.
2) Armageddon: AD 1820-1923.
3) Fall of Babylon: AD 1849-70.
4) Millennium: AD 1859-1959.
5) Satan Loosed A Little (AD 1959-2004).
6) The Last Battle (AD 2004-2015).
7) "Revival 2015."
8) Final Resurrection of the "Dead Only" (Rev 20.11-15; Rev 21.7-8).

The Two best books, by B. W. Johnson (1881, 1891) are: Vision of the Ages and the Peoples' New Testament.
Gospel Light Pub., Co., Delight AR.

The third best book is Halley's Bible Handbook, 1945.

My books on CD-Rom are better because these men have been dead a long time, but Jesus is still alive and fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: Sphinx777
Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok so.. im wanting to study further in eschatology, but i need a place to start.

i was wondering if any of you here could help me, i need resources, commentaries, sermons, podcast..ect. any useful info on the topic..

but i want credible sources. i don't want random wacko's throwing out there opinions. although i am open to many ideas, the theories of kent hovind i find interesting, and im closely connected to the calvary chapel church. although my views don't necessarily line up completely with theres i don't want to stray too far off the beaten path. catch my drift?

there is a book with drawing by a dispensationist .... really good in putting scripture with scripture ... by clarence larkin for $10 to $30

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would suggest this link. It is a free bible class, covering every book, but on audio.

http://www.thruthebible.org/site/c.irLMKXPGLsF/b.4104233/k.BFE1/MP3_Download_of_5Year_Series.htm

I don't agree with all he teaches, but it is excellent.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

type in "grace teaching"

#1 His book on grace .. easy read... very good ...help understand alot
#2 bible study on revelations very good...
#3 distinctions .. important

Upvote 0

kingdom-heir

Sola Scriptura
Nov 11, 2008
West WA. state
✟7,663.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If you don't want to be mislead by Futurism or Preterism, here's some books you really need to read.

John's Revelation Unveiled by Dr. Francis Nigel Lee
The Grand Design Exposed by John Daniel
70 weeks and the Great Tribulation by Phillip Mauro
Theft of a Nation by William Baker

Another thing that is very helpful to avoid being mislead, is to search out everything in the Bible Genesis to Revelation that has anything at all to do with God's covenants with Israel. All total, I got 20 pages.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary777

Gary777
Jan 1, 2004
Southern Sweden
✟15,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is the ecclesiology, not the eschatology forum, in case you didnt know it. Easy to make that mistake. Since you mention Kent Hovind i wonder if you really are interested in creationism?

Anyways, a great starting point would be to leave the last book in the bible last! Start in matthew and go trough every verse that you understand talk about the last day(s) and see the balance of the new testament. Most people BASE theyr whole escatology on theyr, or theyr denominations view on johns revelation. Most reformers didnt believe it was for the future mostly, but had a completly different message than the dispy antichrist centered view.
If you want a balanced view on escathology, then base it on ALL the teaching about the last day, not only on this one book. Actually leave it to be the last book you study, and see it in the light of the gospel message, Pauls letters, Jesus' teachings etc. Understand also that the vast use of symbols in revelation already has its meaning laid out in the bible. Most of the symbolism is old testament pictures. Some are even explained very clearly in revelation itself (the angel explains them). The harlot fore instance is what the harlot symbolises elsewhere in the bible, the nation that broke its marriage covenant with God.
When it says starts will fall down on earth etc, it doesnt mean that STARS wil literally fall down on earth. Sun, moon and starts are pictures for all kinds of stuff, authorities, leaders of nations, angels, even saints sometimes.
By using normal guidelines for the book of revelation you can get a balanced intepreations of it. Most christian sects in the world rely heavily on their own interpretaion of the symbols in revelation. You can make that book say whatever you (or your demons haha) want!! But they have thrown normal guidelines for udnerstanding bibletext out the window, thats why they get weird.

Also, if you are in a certain church, you may have hear teaching that is based upon a dispensational endtime view. And you may already read every edntime vers in the bible coloured by this view, without knowing it. And all your interpretation will fall under its umbrella. You will only concider when the "rapture" will happen relative to the 7 year tribulation/wrath. Not concidering if there WILL EVEN BE a 7 year trib. wrath, since thought like that is view upon as false teaching in many churches. (i am in one that views partial preterism mostly as dalse teaching, so i know what im talking about.)

I recommend you to start at scratch. Do yourself that favour. Pretend you have NO CLUE what will happen from tomorrow according to the bible. WHAT DOES the bible say about the future. What is the balance? What is the message about the future? And start with all the clear undeniable passages in the gospels, acts and letters, those that talks about Jesus coming back on the last day to judge living and dead etc. And let all the clear verses guide you when you concider the difficult passages.

And finally finnally, read Kennet Gentry and Gary DeMar's material to balance your left behind view, if you have one. :p

Or not.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I found the following helpful. They make up a relatively concise discussion of several major eschatological views.

The Promise of the Future by C. P. Venema – Provides a good overview of Amillennial and Postmillennial views. Also reviews Premillennial view but does not adequately differentiate between Historical and Dispensational Premillennialism.

The Presence of the Future by G. E. Ladd – Historical Premillennial View.

Escape the Coming Night by David Jeremiah – Easy read of Dispensational Premillennial view. It also comes in a more detailed, multi-volume study.

Blessings,

Mike

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who are these people who create threads and never comment on any of the responses to their original posts? Are those secondary accounts created by the people who run this forum, all in the name of keeping the dead sections of the forum alive?

In other words, where are you eternalmade777? Why haven't you responded to any of the posts in your own thread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

bbbbbbb

Who are these people who create threads and never comment on any of the responses to their original posts? Are those secondary accounts created by the people who run this forum, all in the name of keeping the dead sections of the forum alive?

In other words, where are you eternalmade777? Why haven't you responded to any of the posts in your own thread?

I agree. Maybe you should PM him and see if he is still alive.

I think this thread belongs in the Eschatology forum rather than Ecclesiology as it has nothing to do with church leadership and organization. Would a mod please move it?

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON
modhat.gif

Thread is moving from Ecclesiology to Eschatology.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

It will depend on your own personal religious history. I recommending cleansing the mind of all teaching, and go back to reading revelation for yourself, and see what it really says, and also see if it will reveal itself to you. I also think it wise to read up on the history of eschatological developments, from the early church, through to the catholic era, and then the early protestant, and later thinking.
I’ve also found it useful to read the ideas of various churches, like the SDA and Catholic and see what they think.
Also I could recommend the few good books that actually exist out there..
Prophets of the Apocalypse’ by David Haggith (completely unbiased, and gives a good insight into the whole subject)
End Time Delusions, by Steve Wohlberg. SDA.. very good ideas here.
I have given up trying to find any decent books on this subject, as the field is swamped with totally biased rubbish.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Most of the replies here make the same mistake I mentioned in my first post. They advise starting a study of eschatology in the Book of Revelation.

While I do not agree with his conclusion, I do agree with the posted who said that the Revelation should be studied last, not first. But that poster said start with Matthew. In doing so he left out the great bulk of end time prophecy.

I say start with Isaiah, and go through all the old testament prophecies first. Most of these are stated in plain language, not in deep, hard ti understand symbols. Then, when you finally get to the revelation, you will recognize many symbols that had been clearly explained in the book of Daniel.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.