Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Most students who use vouchers choose to attend religious schools
By Malcolm A. Kline

WASHINGTON (CNS) — Voucher participation has climbed in the past 10 years, and those who benefit the most are African-American students who attend Catholic schools, according to a recent study.

The study, "The Education Gap: Vouchers and Urban Schools," published by the Brookings Institution, noted that most students who use vouchers have chosen to attend religious schools.

It also showed that test scores for African-Americans who use vouchers jumped 3 percent in first grade and doubled that gain the following year.

The study also showed that, although Catholic schools account for half of private schools, they make up more than that proportion of schools selected by voucher students. More than two-thirds of New York City students using vouchers choose Catholic schools. In Dayton, Ohio, more than half the students choose Catholic schools, and in Washington nearly half do.

http://www.archden.org/dcr/news.php?e=226&s=1&a=4654

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
It will be interesting to see how things may change for the District of Columbia since congress acted in 2004 to give the lower-income families there school vouchers. Senators like Feinstein & Schumer can brag about the fact they helped pass that legislation while Senators like Kerry & Clinton voted against it.

There isn't a region more concentrated with African-Americans that D.C., so I really hope that the school vouchers there will serve to prove a point.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Feinstein & Schumer only voted for it because it was going to happen anyways. This was first proposed when the GOP won in 1994. Democrats voted in a block year after year to stop D.C. vouchers. Schumer in particular deserves no credit. He is the point man for PFAW in Congress which works with the ACLU to file lawsuits against every school choice inititive.

He is no longer in Congress but Floyd Flake (D-NY) deserves a lot of credit for his work on school choice. He bucked the party and the NEA when few others would.

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Voegelin said:
Feinstein & Schumer only voted for it because it was going to happen anyways. This was first proposed when the GOP won in 1994. Democrats voted in a block year after year to stop D.C. vouchers. Schumer in particular deserves no credit. He is the point man for PFAW in Congress which works with the ACLU to file lawsuits against every school choice inititive.

He is no longer in Congress but Floyd Flake (D-NY) deserves a lot of credit for his work on school choice. He bucked the party and the NEA when few others would.

It's true that it would have barely passed by a vote of 51 to 49 if all the Democrats had opposed it, but I don't think they voted for it just because it was going to pass. If so, then I would think that Kerry, Edwards, Clinton, and some others that should be trying to position themselves as moderates would have voted for it.

Appropriations. HR 2673 (Roll Call 3)
The Senate adopted an omnibus spending bill with some fiscal restraint, and providing for vouchers to cover tuition at private schools in the District of Columbia.
The bill was passed (65-28)
ACU supported this bill
This member voted in support of ACU's position
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00003

YEAs ---65
Akaka (D-HI)
Alexander (R-TN)
Allen (R-VA)
Bennett (R-UT)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Breaux (D-LA)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Campbell (R-CO)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carper (D-DE)
Chafee (R-RI)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dole (R-NC)
Durbin (D-IL)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Frist (R-TN)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hollings (D-SC)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
McConnell (R-KY)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Miller (D-GA)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Nickles (R-OK)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Santorum (R-PA)
Schumer (D-NY)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Specter (R-PA)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Talent (R-MO)
Thomas (R-WY)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)

NAYs ---28
Allard (R-CO)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Byrd (D-WV)
Clinton (D-NY)
Conrad (D-ND)
Corzine (D-NJ)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Ensign (R-NV)
Feingold (D-WI)
Graham (D-FL)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
McCain (R-AZ)
Reed (D-RI)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Snowe (R-ME)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 7
Baucus (D-MT)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Domenici (R-NM)
Edwards (D-NC)
Hagel (R-NE)
Kerry (D-MA)
Lieberman (D-CT)

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
TeddyKGB said:
So the schools that get to pick their students have a better-performing student body.

Is this supposed to be surprising?

HUH? The private schools are not picking their students. Parents choose which private schools to send their children to. There's a Catholic school in my area that has non-Catholic students, for example. Some of the Catholic schools have Muslim students and even children of gay couples.

Upvote 0

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MaryS said:
HUH? The private schools are not picking their students. Parents choose which private schools to send their children to. There's a Catholic school in my area that has non-Catholic students, for example. Some of the Catholic schools have Muslim students and even children of gay couples.

Sorry, but this is untrue. Private schools do select thier students.
Just because they don't discriminate does not mean that they don't select thier students. I went to a prestigous Jesuit highschool, and it had a quite a thourough admissions proccess. There was a standardized test that was similar to the ISEE, but was called something else, then there transcripts with my junior high grades on them that I had to submit. In addition I had to write two essays and be interviewed by a member of the school. Public schools if you live in the district your in.

It really does make sense that a school that can use an admissions program that is essentially the same as the one universities use would perform better. The students that are accepted want to be there, and have a proven academic track record.

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
419gam said:
Sorry, but this is untrue. Private schools do select thier students.
Just because they don't discriminate does not mean that they don't select thier students. I went to a prestigous Jesuit highschool, and it had a quite a thourough admissions proccess. There was a standardized test that was similar to the ISEE, but was called something else, then there transcripts with my junior high grades on them that I had to submit. In addition I had to write two essays and be interviewed by a member of the school. Public schools if you live in the district your in.

It really does make sense that a school that can use an admissions program that is essentially the same as the one universities use would perform better. The students that are accepted want to be there, and have a proven academic track record.

Around here, the big Catholic school gives scholarships to top athletes and students, and as such it's known for being top in sports and academics. Little surprise it's known for these sorts of things.

The fact that students on vouchers tend to be students who have parents who want them to succeed, and tend to have a little more determination than the average student would also be a reason why these schools tend to excel, as the public school system struggles because it's left with a lot of carefree students.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Catholic schools typically don't "pick" their students. Anyone who will pony up the money is able to attend, including non-Catholics.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Any parent who cares about the education of his child knows that there is better discipline in a religious school of just about any stripe. Better discipline results in nearly no disruptive behavior which is what the public schools are fighting now. If the teacher is the jailer, when does he/she get to teach anything.

I hope this works in D.C. That poor city really gets overlooked!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
newlamb said:
Catholic schools typically don't "pick" their students. Anyone who will pony up the money is able to attend, including non-Catholics.
Not so here. Our Catholic high school gives "scholarships" based on parent income and, really, how much they want the child or children.
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Any parent who cares about the education of his child knows that there is better discipline in a religious school of just about any stripe. Better discipline results in nearly no disruptive behavior which is what the public schools are fighting now. If the teacher is the jailer, when does he/she get to teach anything.
Again, I think religious school discipline has at least as much to do with the quality of the student body. It's not like they get the most competent teachers by paying 20-30% less than public schools (around here anyway).

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
newlamb said:

I agree!!!

Better discipline results in nearly no disruptive behavior which is what the public schools are fighting now...

I dissagree!!! ;) Well in the area I live anyway, I just pulled my children out of a christian school after 8 years. It was getting so small, and the ones who were there were very disruptive.
Here in California private school teachers don't need the credits and education that the public teachers need to teach, also at the private school my boys went to, the teachers pay was very low and could get fired so easy. Now this was a elementary school.

We are looking into the private High Schools now and at certain schools, yes they do pick the children coming in. They have to take tests, and major backround grade checks.

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
newlamb said:

Where I live, that's simply not true. The school is quite willing to push top athletes and students to enroll, and is willing to go so far as to give out full-rides. It's no surprise they excel... the student body has active parent participation (parents who'd be involved no matter what school their kid was at), and a student body that tends to have more talent.

Upvote 0

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
newlamb said:

Just from my personal experience, that is absolutely not true.

I see my cousins and friends in China who sit in classrooms with 50+ students, with underfunded facilities, who can do algebra in the sixth grade, and calculus by junior year, some surrounded by high rises, while others by farmland, as the result of top standards (Chinese gov't nationalizes their curriculum) set by society, and pressure from parents to do well. Religion has no affect on the quality of schools, money helps, but the overriding factor is motivation from students and teachers alike.

I also went to a top private college and we had about 50% go to public schools and 50% go to private schools. Few of us felt there was any difference between the two different school systems. What made the difference between a good school and a mediocre one was not how the school was funded but how selective the schools were in picking their students.

Students who went to schools that were either selective in their admissions policy whether through entrance exams (private schools) or through property taxes (public schools) tended to end up with a better education than those that went through a less discriminating school.

In the end, it's not where the money that comes from which makes a school great, it's the quality of the student body, and the willingness of the students' parents to help their children to achieve high academic success.

Schools that reside in expensive school district tend to have parents who have the abundence of resources to help their children do well, and the parents tend to be more educated themselves, making them more willing to participate in their children's educational lives, as well as give children the environment to succeed academically. Wealthy districts with good public schools tend to attract academically focused parents. Thereby, public schools are hit or miss based on the quality of the student body.

The high cost of admissions into our nation's most selective private schools (Exeter, Phillips etc), and/or rigorous entrance exams, also ensures only high achieving students with ambitious parents are able to enter their hollowed hallways. In this way, only high achieving parents, with ambitions for their little darlings are selected over Joe Sixpack who doesn't care a rat's #$! that their kid just failed math.

As I stated before, I went to a top private college, now I'm taking a few graduate classes at my local public college. Is the quality of teaching higher at my private college? You bet. But not because one is public and one is private. It's because the academic quality of students coming in is lower at the public school because of the nature of the system.

The public school has to accept everyone who has a high school diploma and lives in the state, while my private school does not. Hence, my private school attracts a high caliber of student body and can adjust their curriclum to be more rigorous to fit their high achieving students.

My public college does not have that luxury.

However, this does not say anything about the professors who teach at public schools. The quality of the curriculum is really reflection of the student body, not the teaching system in the respective institutions.

I don't think school vouchers will resolve this problem with public schools (and education in general) because it doesn't hit at the root of academic problem: indifferent students and parents. No amount of vouchers in the world will turn a child around the student and/or parent are not interested in making that change.

In this way, I don't see school vouchers as a cure for our public schools at all. It's an easy out for some people, while others happily see money flowing into (their) religious coffers. But that says nothing about the problem with low achieving kids. Kids don't aim high because they are not told to. In this way, as much as I detest Bush's policies, I think he is going the right way with improving and nationalizing academic standards. I believe that just electing to set high goals will motivate some low achieving students to do better, even if they have uncaring parents.

Most of this is just from my experience of course. But having tutored kids in inner cities, and gone to a school with kids from some of the most elite private schools in the country, and having attended several different public schools throughout my elementrary and high school years, I believe the fault of poor public school performance lies not with the teachers themselves per se, but with the unmotivated students and their nonresponsive parents that, along with underfunded teachers, makes for a poor academic environment.

Taking money away from public schools doesn't help the problem, but I also don't think just pouring more money into the school system helps either. We need to begin by encouraging students and parents to see the value of an education. Kids need to know it's cool to be smart, to be top of the class. At my cousins' schools in China, the coolest, most popular kids were those that did well in school, that scored tops in their entrance exams---ok, that may be too extreme, but a bit of this veneration of education could go a long way to improving our nation's schools, both public and private.

Upvote 0