Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
President Barack Obama has signed a bill eliminating all known uses of the term "oriental" from federal law.

The bill, which was sponsored by Congresswoman Grace Meng (D-NY), was passed by the House of Representatives unanimously on Feb. 29 and again by the Senate on May 9. It was co-sponsored by 76 members of Congress, including all 51 members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus.

Sen. Mazie K. Hirono (D-HI), who sponsored the bill in the Senate, said in a statement that she was "proud to have seen this effort through."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...bill-eliminating-oriental-federal-law-n577811

Since the term is offensive, should we boycott all restaurants with the name "Oriental" in it? And maybe just stick to Persian rugs?

Last edited:

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...bill-eliminating-oriental-federal-law-n577811

Since the term is offensive, should we boycott all restaurants with the name "Oriental" in it? And maybe just stick to Persian rugs?

I was going to ask about that ("oriental" rugs)

Isn't there a movie called "Orient Express"?

He really wants to go down that rabbit hole, eh?

No. Those are actually correct usages of the word.

From Dictionary.com:

Usage note

Asian is the most commonly used term referring to people in or from Asia, especially East Asia. In American English, Oriental as a noun or adjective applied to people is outdated and has become a sensitive term to be avoided. It is associated with a bygone era in which Asians had subordinate status and their culture was perceived as strange and exotic. Also, the origin of the term Oriental represents a Eurocentric view of geography, since the Orient, or East, is east of Europe.

However, Oriental is a neutral, inoffensive term when used as an adjective describing Asian culture or things from Asia. Similarly, the term Asiatic is usually offensive when referring to people, but neutral when referring to Asian culture, animals, etc. Though Asian is an acceptable ethnic designation in most contexts, it is best to be as specific as possible, rather than to group all Asians into a single cultural identity. In general, people of South, Southeast, and East Asian origin prefer to be identified by their country of origin: for example, Indian, Pakistani, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, or Chinese. The people of the Middle or Near East and Polynesia are not referred to as Asian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that historically it has ever been considered derogatory or was ever meant to be

We can (imperfectly) compare it to the word "Yankee". Depending on the context it can be a slur. If you were in another country and people there kept pointedly calling you Yankee, it might make you uncomfortable. You might be correct in deriving that the word was meant to mark you as unwelcome, disrespected, or the butt of some unspoken joke.

It's an imperfect comparison though, because Americans may refer to themselves as Yankees and feel no insult if they hear the term used in friendly circles inside the U.S. People from Asian countries, however, don't refer to themselves as Oriental.

Add to that the unwelcoming and disrespectful atmosphere that was present in the U.S. toward Asian immigrants when the term was in popular usage and you can understand why its better to just discontinue using it in government documents. Its a small step that can ease some bad feelings. Going back to the Yankee analogy, imagine being called Yankee for a long time in another country and then realizing that people had stopped and were now referring to you by name. It would be a small thing, but it would feel much better, wouldn't it. It would mean something significant had changed.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...Maybe I should start pondering on things that might offend me that 'other' people say.

Or we could ponder whether there are things we say that might be needlessly or carelessly offending others. Perhaps we could cheerfully make changes without others having to repeatedly express offense.

Just sayin'. :)

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or we could ponder whether there are things we say that might be needlessly or carelessly offending others. Perhaps we could cheerfully make changes without others having to repeatedly express offense.

These days just about anything one says will offend somebody.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It was an Asian who penned this bill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to be clear, this only applies to use of the word in federal documents. No one had actually banned any words from the English language.

You are still free to be a culturally unaware, insensitive jerk that uses outdated terms, all you like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just to be clear, this only applies to use of the word in federal documents. No one had actually nabbed any words from the English language.

You are still free to be a culturally unaware, insensitive jerk that uses outdated terms, all you like.

Including those who sell certain rugs and own certain restaurants. But I wonder, if someone is on the phone in public discussing where to have lunch, should they lower their voice when saying the Oriental Garden?

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
For the same reason that "negro" and "colored" are considered insensitive and offensive in regard to people. The term "coloured" is perfectly acceptable in South Africa which refers to persons of mixed European and African heritage, in North America "colored" and "negro" aren't acceptable because they point back to an uglier time in our history. Where these terms were used by people in power as terms of oppression.

As an overweight person I don't particularly like being called "fatty", you're absolutely free to call me "fatty" if that's what you want--but don't pretend to be shocked when doing so isn't considered acceptable by me or anyone else.

I have every right to call your mother anything I darn well please, and use every profanity I can think of. But I'd be a real idiot not to think it might offend you, her, and many other people.

If you want to complain that you don't get to be a jerk* to people without reprimand, well then at least be honest enough to admit that what you want is to be a complete and total jerk*.

*and by jerk I mean a seven letter word.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0