Not open for further replies.

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
does anyone think in tongues sometimes? I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like thinking in your head, without making it verbal?

I started praying in tongues one time and at the time, I had never heard of this, and I didn't know what was going on, but I couldn't stop.

also, do some people repeat something specific over and over sometimes?

thanks

mle

4lifeinchrist
Dec 28, 2003
Squamish
✟11,153.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wonder111 said:
does anyone think in tongues sometimes? I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like thinking in your head, without making it verbal?

I started praying in tongues one time and at the time, I had never heard of this, and I didn't know what was going on, but I couldn't stop.

thanks

I think in tongues when I can't pray out loud in tongues, like in the bank line up for example. Or when someone else is talking and I need God's help to respond to what they are saying.

I have heard of this before. Praise God !!!I bet that was awesome!!!!

I repeat phrases sometimes and I have heard new languages frome time to time also.

Reactions: wonder111
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe that when we have no choice, we can pray silently in our minds/hearts whether in tongues or English.

But I also believe that if possible, it should be vocalised, whether in a soft whisper, in a normal conversational volume or in a loud shout.

The Bible just has a lot to say about speaking out audibly using our tongue, not silently using our minds.

Upvote 0

matty c

Mar 17, 2004
Petaluma, CA
✟7,990.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
can someone explain what exactly speakin in tongues is/is like? i've heard it used before but more along the lines of one speaking to a crowd of different languages and everyone understands. the words that come out of the speakers mouth is the language of the listener. is that it?

Upvote 0

Faith_04

Feb 4, 2004
IL
✟136.00
Faith
Christian
wonder111 said:

thanks
Ya know that's funny because just over a month ago I asked the same question in a thread. See I'm new at the the "baptism in the holy spirit". I was raised baptist. So of course I was raised that "speaking in tongues" is not "of today", but i've done a lot of studying in God's word and wanted to search it myself. God has revealed to me that this is real.
So about a month ago I asked to be filled. Well nothing happend that day I didn't speak in tounges or any thing. Though a couples of days later .
I was lying in my room crying out to God over some things I was struggeling with. All of the sudden I started speaking in tongues in my head. It was unexplainable and I can't put it into words . Like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Ever since then it hasn't happend and I've gotten discouraged thinking maybe I wasn't speaking in tongues etc. So lately I've been really confused . I think if this was of God then why is it so confusing some times ya know? I know God is not the author of confusion, and I know in my heart that that night I was speaking in tongues.
Anyway I'm going to stop blabbing. I just want to know why I did that night and not now? From what I've read and heard from other poeple I know it just doesn't "come" and then "leave" or does it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All right I am pentecostal so while I post this I want people not to get offended. Speaking in tongues is only one gift, and it is a gift I believe that the church uses wrongly many times. It is supposed to be used to edify unbelievers yet it is not being used to that extent in many cases, what is supposed to be the norm has become very rare.

The tongues I hear today, I believe many are genuine yet I believe that God would desire tongues to be used with interpertation or so the people listening can understand. Are there other purposes? Yes there is but one should be wise in how they function in the divine gifts they are given. And if one operates in tongues but does not operate in love, the gift of tongues is null and void in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
enoch son said:
The gift of tongues and the infilling with tongues are not the same thing.
How so my friend, the distinction is not made very clear in scripture, you have tongues, right a gift imparted to some at the initial infilling of the Holy Spirit.

One must also not forget that the Holy Spirit has always been with us, but we have to come to Christ for him to live in us and we have to be willing to let him use us and baptize us.

Upvote 0

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
all I can say is that I probably would be skeptical. However, before I even knew what it was, I was dealing with some heavy issues in my life, and one night I was desperately seeking help, I guess I was praying but looking for God for sure. At that moment there was this overwhelming love and presence in the room and I was filled with it. I started crying but in a happy way, and that is when I started speaking in this 'language'. My conscious mind thought it was ridiculous, but my spirit wouldn't stop, it was so right.

I found out a few months later from a Christian friend that many people do this, and when I heard it, I was a believer, because it sounded exactly like what I was saying. And It completely changed my life, a huge weight was lifted

Reactions: mle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

starry emzy

On Fire For God!!!!!
Apr 12, 2004
Australia
✟15,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
wonder111 said:

thanks
There is one lady in my church who prayes in tounges all the time and every time and when she does she always goes

ahhhbabababababa :) she's an awesome lady

she will speak other stuff but she will often do that :)
luv em

Reactions: wonder111
Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
Faith_04 said:
Ever since then it hasn't happend and I've gotten discouraged thinking maybe I wasn't speaking in tongues etc. So lately I've been really confused . I think if this was of God then why is it so confusing some times ya know? I know God is not the author of confusion, and I know in my heart that that night I was speaking in tongues.
no, God is not the author of confusion, the enemy of our souls is - and i would guess in this instance the emeny was trying to get you to be so confused over this that you stop seeking this gift.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 but one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation. 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy;

may i suggest that meditate on the meaning of this passage?:

Luke 11:11"Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? 12"Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? 13"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly * Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

that's a promise from God. God is not a man that He should lie, so you can trust Him on this!!!! just be sure to ask God and nobody else!!!

Upvote 0

Faith_04

Feb 4, 2004
IL
✟136.00
Faith
Christian
Hey LynneClomins,
Thank you for your sincerity and encouraging words! You reminded that the only One that can erase the doubt in my heart is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Who's the only One who can save me from the pit of doubt and lies that Satan tries to surround me with.
I need to get my eyes refocused on Him, seek, and meditate on His word. I know I could go to every one I possiably can think of to try to get an answere from on "why" and "what if" . Though, in reality He's the only One that can help me deep down with in and change my heart! Thanks again!!
Rashelle

Reactions: LynneClomina
Upvote 0

TwistrAndy

TwistrAndy
Mar 1, 2004
Huntersville, NC
✟414.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've always thought of the the gift of tongues as two different parts. One is the gift of tongues talked about that another interprets before the church, to edify it, and that was the Holy Spirit. And the other, was the "praying" type where your spirit prayed to God, and the reason it was in a different "language" is because your spirit is bypassing your brain and praying from the heart. The verses that Lynn gave, gives adequate proof, that there are 2 different types of speaking in tongues. One is for the church edification and the other is from the spirit, the heart, to lift you up.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.