It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I quickly searched the forum about this, it may have been covered already so forgive me but...

When I'm in church, I don't close my eyes during prayer and I feel the odd one out as it looks like most (if not all) do. I believe the Bible doesn't offer much on the subject either and most tend to pray eyes closed out of respect and/or to concentrate on the prayer.

I just want to look at the world around me and see the beauty of God, the cross in our church, the green fields and blue sky out the windows.

Do you feel the same as me?

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I quickly searched the forum about this, it may have been covered already so forgive me but...

When I'm in church, I don't close my eyes during prayer and I feel the odd one out as it looks like most (if not all) do. I believe the Bible doesn't offer much on the subject either and most tend to pray eyes closed out of respect and/or to concentrate on the prayer.

I just want to look at the world around me and see the beauty of God, the cross in our church, the green fields and blue sky out the windows.

I used to do that, but these days I consider prayer so serious that I will close myself off from all distractions to give (to the best of my ability), my mind to hearing, thinking and agreeing with what the prayer leader is saying. I don't think anyone would be offended if you had your eyes open.

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Open or shut, whichever is fine. Sometimes, when there are destractions around, especially in church where people-watching or elaborate decor may come into play, closing your eyes may help you concentrate on the prayer. I do like to appreciate nature while thanking God for the same. Still, I'd be more inclined to close my eyes in a Catholic church where idols are on display. I wouldn't want to be staring at them while praying to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kennyjoseph__

I am a child of God and He calls me friend
Apr 21, 2011
Singapore
Visit site
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I close my eyes when i am praying or worshipping to prevent distraction and focus my attention to Jesus totally. Anyway. you can always enjoy His creations anytime after praying. Seek Him with all your heart and all your soul and you will enjoy He Himself rather then the things He created. Isn't it much more wonderful to admire Jesus than to admire His creations? ;)

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I close my eyes now, but when I was learning to pray I would sometimes write my words and so of course my eyes were open. I say you should do whatever is comfortable to you. The important thing is that you do pray as part of your relationship with God.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,469.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The pastor who leads the Christian ministry on campus says that there is no biblical requirement to pray with one's eyes closed. You can do what you want. :) As for me, I've tried praying with my eyes open, and I have a harder time focusing.

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for all your feedback :)

I've worked out that if I'm in church listening to a prayer I keep my eyes open and take in the wonder around me. As for praying myself, like some of you say, the eyes closed scenario does help you to concentrate on what your praying about - being new to it all, the words don't flow too freely but closing my eyes sure helps with it.

Again thank you all and, thank you God!

:amen:

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I do both, sometimes there are advantages in having your eyes open.
You might miss Gods work happening, if God healed someone you prayed for wouldn't you like to see it happening.
My pastor told me he keeps his eyes open when praying for people, he has had close calls when the person strikes out at him, or at least the demon in them.

Upvote 0

Andrew B.

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2008
✟27,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever works for you. From what I understand, some people can focus on thought better if they are looking down, or looking up, depending on their preference. I noticed the last time I prayed I was looking straight ahead, but not really focused on what was in front of my. My focus was on the prayers. But usually I bow my head and either close my eyes or leave them open.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...being new to it all, the words don't flow too freely but closing my eyes sure helps with it.

Just talk as if He is your friend, because He is. Don't worry too much about the words because He already knows what is in your heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I generally pray with my eyes closed but not always depending.

I don't think there's a strict guideline on this because we are all different individuals who will approach God in different ways which work stronger for us.

Upvote 0