US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I run into this issue alot, too many churches and Pastors I think are charlottons/ egotistical scammers. I don't attend regular churches anymore just pray and read bible because whenever I go the church ends up being a lie and the Pastor's abuse the congregation and are power hungry. I am a strong believer in Christ Jesus and the Spirit of God though.

There's a prayer line that opened up and I checked the Pastor's website and he calls himself an Apostle. I highly disagree with giving yourself that title. I want to do the prayer line or connect to the body of Christ but should I connect with people who might not be on one accord in the same faith with me?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I run into this issue alot, too many churches and Pastors I think are charlottons/ egotistical scammers. I don't attend regular churches anymore just pray and read bible because whenever I go the church ends up being a lie and the Pastor's abuse the congregation and are power hungry. I am a strong believer in Christ Jesus and the Spirit of God though.

I hear a lot of people say similar things, but the fact is that for every egotistical or exploitative pastor, there is another who is a dedicated servant of the Lord.

Before concluding that it's necessary to "go it alone," anyone who feels as you've described to us needs to have exhausted every reasonable lead--every normal Christian congregation within a normal driving distance, that is.

You don't say how many churches you've checked out, but I'd urge you to make a thorough examination of your prospects before falling back on something like the internet or a prayer line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,277,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with much of what you've written but then so do many others some of which have gone into ministery. Its worth it when you find those congregations.

There's a prayer line that opened up and I checked the Pastor's website and he calls himself an Apostle. I highly disagree with giving yourself that title. I want to do the prayer line or connect to the body of Christ but should I connect with people who might not be on one accord in the same faith with me?

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hear a lot of people say similar things, but the fact is that for every egotistical or exploitative pastor, there is another who is a dedicated servant of the Lord.

Before concluding that it's necessary to "go it alone," anyone who feels as you've described to us need to have exhausted every reasonable lead--every normal Christian congregation within a normal driving distance, that is. You don't say how many churches you've checked out, but I'd urge you to make a thorough examination of your prospects before falling back on something like the internet or a prayer line.

What about foundational differences like I believe in the holy ghost speaking in tongues because I received it at age 14 and very few churches believe in that. So I go only to full gospel churches but that's when I see things like Pastors yelling and throwing things and acting a mess.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Herein is yet another complicated problem I've got an illness that makes me smell, which i somehow developed in the last 3 years so I'm also not a favorite in anyone's church Lol. I feel like the enemy has tried to do so much to cut me off because of how bad I desire to teach the word and be apart of the body of Christ and how I want to be like David "after God's very own heart." My whole life is isolation when I should be connected because I have work to do for God.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What about foundational differences like I believe in the holy ghost speaking in tongues because I received it at age 14 and very few churches believe in that. So I go only to full gospel churches but that's when I see things like Pastors yelling and throwing things and acting a mess.
This -- having a congregation that is doctrinally correct -- is a valid and important consideration, I agree. I would not recommend joining some cult, for example, just to have a local church you could call your own.

I would recommend, however, that no one in your situation demand 100% agreement as a condition of even attending regularly without seeking membership. If we were to poll the members of almost any congregation, we'd find that they each disagree with something or other that that church holds to officially. I know Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, and, yes, Pentecostal Christians, in that situation. But the benefits usually outweigh that problem IF the doctrine in dispute is not a critical one.

So, what's "critical" in your case? If speaking in tongues is important to you (and it is), don't foreswear it. But there are many Pentecostal churches that engage in tongues speaking and then there are many others that don't discourage it although they don't make it part of their regular worship services. I know, for example, whole fraternities of Roman Catholics who are charismatics, speak in tongues and believe in the reception of other gifts of the Holy Ghost.

In other words, there often are ways to approach the issue that you've described -- and which I sympathize with -- before you conclude that a local, home church is not possible for you. I assure you that many people have wrestled with the same issue and finally solved it short of giving it up and just relying upon internet fellowships or something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

lighthouse4031

Jan 17, 2016
USA
✟15,438.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Before concluding that it's necessary to "go it alone," anyone who feels as you've described to us needs to have exhausted every reasonable lead--every normal Christian congregation within a normal driving distance, that is.

You don't say how many churches you've checked out, but I'd urge you to make a thorough examination of your prospects before falling back on something like the internet or a prayer line.

I completely agree. Though there are wolves in sheep's clothing, there are also shepherds ready to lay down their lives for Christ. I too have seen many lies, acting and deceit, but no one said it would be easy.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

There's a prayer line that opened up and I checked the Pastor's website and he calls himself an Apostle. I highly disagree with giving yourself that title.

*Why do you disagree with him calling himself an Apostle?
apostle means: one who is sent out... a messenger or ambassador...and in a lesser sense, disciple.
All followers(believers/saved) of Jesus are be apostles...
we are to be "proclaiming the gospel" etc
according to: Matthew 5:13-16.)

Granted, not all of us do it very well...those who are
more mature in the faith are to
"bear" those who are weak in the faith.

I want to do the prayer line or connect to the body of Christ but should I connect with people who might not be on one accord in the same faith with me?

*Honestly...
I've been gathering with many believers who aren't
like-minded, this has been going on since I was old
enough to pay attention.

I've been part of many churches in the USA and here
in Canada... believe me, there's folks who believe in
miracles, and those that don't.
There are folks who believe in gifts of the holy spirit are
for today and there are those that don't.
I know people who don't believe in remarriage(regardless of the reasons)...there are folks who believe there are biblical reasons for divorce.

We've been part of the pastoral care team at church for a few years (almost 3 years) and we've encountered all sorts of beliefs with those at the church we attend...however those who hold different
beliefs continue to be part of this body of believers since we all agree on the essential of the faith.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
but the big problem is the illness, right? i mean if it wasn't for that, you would feel much more comfortable around people to begin with.

Mar 2:4-12 KJV
(4) And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.
(5) When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.
(6) But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,
(7) Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?
(8) And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
(9) Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
(10) But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,
(he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
(11) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
(12) And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

people get saved by placing faith in what Jesus did for everyone at the cross over two thousand years ago, right? but not everyone receives salvation, even though it's God's will that 'everyone come to the knowledge of salvation' - why would healing be different? what if Jesus released the power to physically heal everyone over two thousand years ago at the whipping post? remember, He said: 'is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk'

Mat 8:16-17 KJV
(16) When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
(17) That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Isa 53:5 KJV
(5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1Pe 2:24 KJV
(24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

look at Isa 53:5 - 'he was wounded for our transgressions' - forgiveness of sins; and 'with his stripes we are healed' - and the Holy Spirit through Matt 8:16-17 interprets this to mean physical healing

did you ever look into your wallet when your money was tight, and found more money than you thought was there? maybe kicked yourself for not realizing that you already had it?

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums