twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Prayer seems to be such a personal subject yet it is one of the most misunderstood truths of the Scriptures. The thread on the prayer closet got me thinking about what people think prayer is and what it is not.

I know that myriad of books have been written about prayer but it still seems to be a subject that puzzles the average Christian. I know that there are some here who are or were pastors and I wanted to start a thread to give answers to the question of what is prayer and what is not.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nice Topic, looking forward to this.

I think prayer is communication with God.

I believe there should be reverence on our part.

God knows all our requests before we even bring them to Him. At the same time, Jesus prayed so much, even spent nights in prayer. Jesus modeled prayer for us also in the Lords Prayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As has been said above by the two who posted in this thread prayer is communication with God. Still the first thing we need to understand about prayer is that God has communicated with us by His Word in His Son. Our prayers should first always be according to the Word. When the Spirit speaks He speaks by the Word and He always speaks about the Lord Jesus. (John 16:13-14) Therefore our communication with Him, our prayers, foremost is the cry of our hearts in response to His Word of promise given to us in the Son.

What prayer isn't is trying to twist God's arm in order to get Him to do something that He hadn't already promised to do. We are never to seek for God to do something that is not already promised to us in His Word.

I will wait to see if there are more responses before I continue. I have much more to say but I would like to hear from others.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agree with what others have said. Also, prayer causes things to happen that otherwise would not happen! God acts based on our prayers, otherwise He would not due to His gift of free will. That is why prayer is such a powerful tool, and not only that but a powerful weapon. Nice thread.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Agree with what others have said. Also, prayer causes things to happen that otherwise would not happen! God acts based on our prayers, otherwise He would not due to His gift of free will. That is why prayer is such a powerful tool, and not only that but a powerful weapon. Nice thread.
Is this your opinion or can you back it up with the Scriptures? If what you say is true then God reacts to what man does and that makes Him little more than a man. Moreover it would entail God changing which is against the Scriptures.

God acts according to His purpose of grace in Christ Jesus the Lord.

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is this your opinion or can you back it up with the Scriptures? If what you say is true then God reacts to what man does and that makes Him little more than a man. Moreover it would entail God changing which is against the Scriptures.

God acts according to His purpose of grace in Christ Jesus the Lord.

Great point.

But Ezra prayed and fasted and God answered her prayers.

I'm sure this was according to the Will of God, but Prayer and Fasting was the means to having God act.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah sorry I was a little confusing. Im not in any way giving credit to men for anything, all good things He is due credit for. That being said, the power of prayer can be noted and is referenced all throughout scripture. James 5:16-18 is just one, solid, example.
And i just have to ask, how does God reacting to man make Him little more than a man? Im guessing you are saying it as if God is taking orders from us...? Thats definitely not what I was saying. James 4:2 says 'you do not have because you do not ask'...what if they never ask? But what if they do?
I believe God will wait to act until His people pray but im not saying He is dependent on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Great point.

But Ezra prayed and fasted and God answered her prayers.

I'm sure this was according to the Will of God, but Prayer and Fasting was the means to having God act.
Prayer is for us not in order to inform God. He knows our needs before we ask. Matt. 6:8
Paul mentions fasting one time in 1Cor.7:5 and gives no instructions concerning it. But I want to do a little more study before I get into that.

Ezra did proclaim a fast before he set out for Jerusalem and God protected them on their way but I think you might be speaking of Hannah who prayed for a child but it says nowhere that she fasted.

Remember that we as believers have full access to come boldly, without fear, to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. We need not do anything to make our approach to God more acceptable. This I know, fasting is not for God but for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah sorry I was a little confusing. Im not in any way giving credit to men for anything, all good things He is due credit for. That being said, the power of prayer can be noted and is referenced all throughout scripture. James 5:16-18 is just one, solid, example.
And i just have to ask, how does God reacting to man make Him little more than a man? Im guessing you are saying it as if God is taking orders from us...? Thats definitely not what I was saying. James 4:2 says 'you do not have because you do not ask'...what if they never ask? But what if they do?
I believe God will wait to act until His people pray but im not saying He is dependent on it.
In Ezek. 36:22-38 the Lord tells the Israelites that He will do some things and that they will do some things. He makes it clear that what He intends to do for them and the result will be that they will honor and worship Him. Still in verse 37 He tells them that even though He will do these things He will be asked of then to do them. He says that He will do them and that they will ask of Him to do it.

God does not wait on us He has appointed a time for everything, Eccl.3:1, and all things are done by Him exactly as He has determined for them to be done.

(Rom 11:36) For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

When James said that you have not because you ask not he wasn't telling us that God waits for us but that we ought to ask but ask according to the Word not according to our earthly desires.

Upvote 0