Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have one somewhere.

God bless
When you used it how did you use it? I think that some Lutherans thought it was an item of superstition And I think they thought I might believe it has certain powers. I told them it’s just a reminder that Jesus is always with me, I’m never alone and what Jesus has done for all of us. It’s also comforting to hold.

I had a panic attack today and it was soothing to hang onto the cross until the attack started to pass.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you used it how did you use it? I think that some Lutherans thought it was an item of superstition And I think they thought I might believe it has certain powers. I told them it’s just a reminder that Jesus is always with me, I’m never alone and what Jesus has done for all of us. It’s also comforting to hold.

I had a panic attack today and it was soothing to hang onto the cross until the attack started to pass.

That is where the comfort is found ...
in 'clinging to the cross' ...

It is superstition, if one thinks there is 'magic' power in a wooden cross.
But, if one holds onto it in faith, believing in the Christ Who died on the cross for us ...
knowing He alone can carry us thru the storms of life ...
that is where the comfort comes.

This is a non-denominational 'practice' ... and not exclusive to wooden crosses.
Many find holding onto any cross will have the same quieting 'effect' on one's soul.

Years ago, I had a goldtone cross that was comforting to me in difficult times.
But it is about faith ... about a clinging to God ...
and not about 'magical' powers.

... Panic attacks can be awfully uncomfortable.
Glad that drawing near to Jesus, thru the wooden cross, was helpful to you.
Jesus is Wonderful like that!

:heart:

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I use it to look at it. Sorry that doesn't answer your question.

I don't think it's superstition.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Got this blurb about it from the web:

In the new testament, olive trees sheltered Jesus as He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before His crucifixion.
Olive wood comfort crosses are designed to fit in your palm, purse, or pocket and serve as a reminder of Christ's eternal presence and loving sacrifice.

For me, its just easier to stare lovingly or rather, to gaze upon, with great love, the crucifix at the end of my rosary.

Perhaps an olive wood rosary? do they make those?

Id be afraid I would easily drop and lose a palm sized wooden cross

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Got this blurb about it from the web:

In the new testament, olive trees sheltered Jesus as He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before His crucifixion.
Olive wood comfort crosses are designed to fit in your palm, purse, or pocket and serve as a reminder of Christ's eternal presence and loving sacrifice.

For me, its just easier to stare lovingly or rather, to gaze upon, with great love, the crucifix at the end of my rosary.

Perhaps an olive wood rosary? do they make those?

Id be afraid I would easily drop and lose a palm sized wooden cross
A few years ago a priest who’d just gotten back from the Holy Land gave me an olive wood rosary he bought there. Another friend or friends gave me a couple after visiting, too. You can buy them on the internet as well. Whether the ones from the internet (or my cross too, for that matter) are authentic or not, I don’t know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0