Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I also came out of dispensationalism - but I would characterize myself as more of an amil than a postmil. However, that isn't to say that I've completely closed the door on other eschatological perspectives (within reason, of course).

Upvote 0
M

mothcorrupteth

I'm classical postmill, i.e. the postmill of Calvin, Bullinger, the Puritans, and the Covenanters. I decided to examine the arguments for it in more detail after going through a bout of depression and found that the basis for postmillennialism wasn't nearly as flimsy as its opponents made it out to be. But I had been a Calvinist for a few years by then.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc
All Amillenialists are Postmil in the sense Amillenialists believe the millenium is now in the present so if Jesus comes in the future, it would be post.

I think that is where the difference between an optimistic Amil and classical post mil comes in. An Amil (more negative or positive) tends to see both negativity and positivity in the present millenial age (with their unique spins on it) but ultimately sees the return of Jesus Christ to be immediate (it could happen at any time). While classical post millenialism (which I think is different than what Calvin and bullinger taught- i disagree with the above post) tends to see the Church in its infancy now and there is a lot more that needs to happen and they expect more or less a christianized earth which ends with Jesus' physical presence. That seems to be the historic position.

As for myself, I am Confessionally Reformed and just a normal Amil.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2010
Québec
✟7,758.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Bloc
I'm classical postmill, i.e. the postmill of Calvin, Bullinger, the Puritans, and the Covenanters. I decided to examine the arguments for it in more detail after going through a bout of depression and found that the basis for postmillennialism wasn't nearly as flimsy as its opponents made it out to be. But I had been a Calvinist for a few years by then.

Yeah, as previously mentioned... you'd be hard press to say Calvin was postmil. Most say he was Amil. The puritans were all over on this one. We have in the assembly minutes those arguing for historic premillenialism (and the language keeps it barely open to that position). I'm not sure about Bullinger or the Covenanters, but concerning the second group- it is not wise to make a generalization about any large group of people. Look at the Puritan Richard Baxter who you cannot say with certainty believed in sola fide! Yet there is no doubt he was a puritan.

Be careful relying on Iain Murray as a source for historical theology. I love him and his books but he is not an historical theologian or a theological historian. He paints a very good narative (I call him the Kenn Burns of Reformed Litterature), but very clearly has an argument or thesis in all of his works. There is nothing wrong with that, but it isn't objective critical history which has a goal to present the picture as it was through one of several pre -established narratives (economics, theology, class struggle, sexism, etc...) which is a lot less exciting.

Upvote 0

DocNH

Feb 13, 2008
US
✟7,821.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No Post-tosties here (Optimist AMill, believing thing gets better and better with obedience ...), but for a more complete description of the views see:
Millennial Views

If you are studying Revelation here are some basic notes:
Outline of the Book of Revelation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums