Possibly my dumbest question yet...

S

Soma Seer

This question is for EO adherents, but if anyone can answer it for the EC faith, as well, that would be great! (Two birds, one stone kinda thing. ;))

So my question is this: is it acceptable for women to wear dress pants in EO (and EC) churches? On some church websites, I see them wearing dress pants; on other sites, it seems like every female is wearing a dress or skirt.
Does it depend on each parish, or are dress pants typically allowed in all EO (and EC) parishes?

Thank you,

SS

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Anathema! Anathema! Anathema marantha!

No, just kidding. It depends where you are. If you're at a monastery, you should wear a long skirt and long sleeves and a head scarf (and men should wear long pants and long sleeves). Elsewhere, it depends. A typical ROCOR parish is more likely to expect a dress code - skirts and a head scarf - while a Greek parish is more likely to do whatever. Those are just generalizations, though! It really all depends.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anathema! Anathema! Anathema marantha!

No, just kidding. It depends where you are. If you're at a monastery, you should wear a long skirt and long sleeves and a head scarf (and men should wear long pants and long sleeves). Elsewhere, it depends. A typical ROCOR parish is more likely to expect a dress code - skirts and a head scarf - while a Greek parish is more likely to do whatever. Those are just generalizations, though! It really all depends.

This.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Have to agree - ROCOR Parish I wear a head scarf

Holy Protection Monastery I had a fairly long skirt , well below my knees and 3/4 sleeved blouse and head scarf.

GOA Church - what I normally wear - skirt , short sleeved blouse and no head scarf.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
this is usually dependent on the priest, although most parishes I have been to allow for women to wear pants, and I know that most would not fault a visitor for wearing pants even if they were more conservative like a ROCOR parish. if you wanna know, your best bet is to call or email the local priest and ask him ahead of time.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is usually a reasonably strict dress code enforced in the monasteries, but in the churches it will usually be left up to the individual's conscience. For example, my wife dresses differently now than when we first began attending the Orthodox Church. Her choice of attire didn't change overnight but it was a choice she made on her own with no pressure from anyone else. No priest said anything to her about changing what she wore, she simply no longer felt comfortable wearing what she used to.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with all the above.

Even in a ROCOR parish where typically women wear skirts and scarves, there are always visitors and newish people who come in pants but usually (almost always) if they decide they like our parish and want to be part of us, they gradually conform to the prevailing conservative style.

Monasteries.... for some, if you show up in pants they will find some old wrap-around skirt for you to wear over your clothes and will give you a scarf, too. Some monasteries also require women to wear socks.

The ROCOR cathedral in San Francisco.... they also have skirts and scarves for unprepared visitors and enforcers, too.

At my old Greek parish, the women wore very nice outfits, usually a dress but sometimes classy pantsuits. They dressed up. At my ROCOR parish, some dress up but there is more of the bohemian/ hippy/ Siberian peasant look going, which I think looks very nice on just about everyone. I have never been to an Orthodox church of any kind where women were wearing jeans and T-shirts*, like you see in evangelical meetings.

*Except visitors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our (Greek) Church actually has a dress code posted on the website. I don't think it mentions pants or dresses/skirts for women though. I know it does mention T-shirts, but visitors have showed up in them, and no one says anything.

Most of the women in our parish wear dresses or skirts, but several do wear pants - particularly a few elderly ladies. It's not a problem either way.

ETA, now I remember. It asks that they NOT wear shorts. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When in Rome....

Even within a Parish, dress can vary dramatically depending on several factors. At a weeknight service, you might see people dressed more informally because they came directly from work. On Sunday morning, normally most people put their "best", but during the summer months might men might not wear a jacket and tie because of the heat factor. At Vespers you might be more likely to see less formal dress because even on Saturday evening people come as they are after a day of running around. Even on Sunday, so people might step it up a notch for special feast days. For example, we usually buy a new dress for our girls to wear to the Pascha service. Certainly not necessary, but they generally have grown out of the previous years dress by then, so it's natural.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As an EC who is used to going 'Orthodox' , I think some of the Churches I've been to would not enjoy being referred to as being 'perhaps amidst sectarians '

It's just a local tradition - and I think should be respected .

I know our Ukrainians won't be seen at Pascha and Nativity in anything other than their beautifully embroidered shirts and even the priests join in that :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pants are fine. If you're at a place that disagrees, you are either in the Old Country or perhaps amidst sectarians; I'd be wary if I got that response.

or just in a more traditional place, that is not Old Country or sectarian, and should not be wary of a response like that. I was not wary when I went to St Anthony's in Florence, and women were in skirts and covered their heads, men had long sleeves and no logos, and men and women were separated in the Church during the services.

as stated earlier, when in Rome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We get everything in my parish. As long as it's modest, no one takes any notice. Some cover their heads, some don't. Some wear long skirts, some jeans or slacks, some shorter dresses. One lady usually comes in workout type clothes (modest) because that's just what she always wears.

Mary

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
or just in a more traditional place, that is not Old Country or sectarian, and should not be wary of a response like that. I was not wary when I went to St Anthony's in Florence, and women were in skirts and covered their heads
Ah, but you are talking about what people did there, not what they commanded visitors to do in your presence. There is a great difference.

"For the Christians are distinguished from other men neither by country, nor language, nor the customs which they observe. For they neither inhabit cities of their own, nor employ a peculiar form of speech, nor lead a life which is marked out by any singularity. The course of conduct which they follow has not been devised by any speculation or deliberation of inquisitive men; nor do they, like some, proclaim themselves the advocates of any merely human doctrines. But, inhabiting Greek as well as barbarian cities, according as the lot of each of them has determined, and following the customs of the natives in respect to clothing, food, and the rest of their ordinary conduct, they display to us their wonderful and confessedly striking method of life."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most women do not wear a headscarf at my Serbian parish. My priest and his wife, Protenica, they don't encourage the practice. Most women wear skirts, but some wear nice pants. The deacon's wife never wears a skirt or dress, always pants. But nobody dresses like a stoned surfer. Pants worn are nice slacks, mostly button-up shirts or polos usually. The only thing that gives me the willies is some of the tats in our church. Ugh. I hate tattoos! A few of the young people sport the Marvel comics on their arms. Thankfully not too many! ^_^

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but you are talking about what people did there, not what they commanded visitors to do in your presence. There is a great difference.

no, the monks there insisted. one would not be allowed on if one were not in the proper attire.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's kind of funny. I started wearing a head covering a while back. Not for the most holy of reasons. Frankly, because I BADLY need a haircut, and if I wash my hair before Church it was frizzing out on the sides and got to the point that it was often hard to see. So, I thought maybe the best way to fit in and control it before I embarrassed myself was a head covering. Some women in my Church wear them.

I have found I prefer it, because it is Scripturally prescribed. It probably makes me look a little funny, because I don't have the very fashionable coverings and I'm not that good at tying them. I don't think it makes me "holier" than anyone, and I'd prefer not to stand out anyway. But no one seemingly objected, and Fr. M. happened to mention in one of our classes when someone brought up a gentleman that is rather demonstrative in his worship that as long as one is not disruptive, varying expressions of personal piety are accepted within the Church, and used a headcovering as example.

Yesterday, first time back at my parish in a month, the Church was PACKED. I'm not sure why? It seems we had lots of visitors, and perhaps lots of people visiting those in the Church. But some were complete strangers. And NO ONE AT ALL wore a head covering! We have at least three other ladies who ALWAYS do, but two of them did not come, and the other was there but was not wearing one for the first time ever, and also she did not observer other things she normally does. But she's normally alone, and there was a young lady with her, so I suspect the changes were probably for the young lady's benefit.

It did manage to make me feel a little out of place. Especially since I finally got something besides the tiny scarf I normally wear.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married