✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends.

If I set aside time to go and pray, often I'm standing. I still hold a prayer book for most of my prayers - I haven't memorized many of them yet. Sometimes my intention (or my need) is to kneel or even prostrate - depends on the prayer and my need, I guess. Other than holding a prayer book or making the sign of the Cross, I don't usually do anything with my hands. But sometimes I lift them up.

If I pray at other times, I might be sitting, or standing, or while I'm doing chores, and my hands are usually involved with whatever I'm doing.

I don't really do the clasped-hands praying like you often see in pictures. I guess I did when I was little, sometimes, because it seemed like the "thing to do", but I don't anymore.

Unless I am kneeling, in Church, and the back of the pew in front of me means my hands are usually in front of my face somewhere, so I might fold them under my chin. Most often I bow my head and my hands are more like crossed over my forehead.

If I go away with the intent to pray, usually in my bedroom. Otherwise, wherever I happen to be. As for when, I usually seem to pray best in the evening, but I aim for other times of day. Which reminds me, I often pray laying down before I sleep too.

I think point being, there is no real formula. But at certain times, there are certain positions that help me more. If I were not sure, I'd probably try whatever feels natural and then try other things too, and see what benefit came of it.

I'm supposing you could ask a priest, but I would guess they would probably say it doesn't matter overmuch? I think that you pray is so much more important than what position you are in, or where your hands are.

Just my opinion, of course.

Upvote 0