"Pope Francis was last straw": Magdi Allam, high-profile Muslim convert baptized...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... by Pope Benedict, leaves Catholic Church

High profile Muslim convert quits Catholic Church

Magdi Cristiano Allam, an Egyptian-born Muslim whom Pope Benedict publicly baptised at Easter five years ago in St Peter's Basilica has announced that he is leaving the Church because it has taken too soft a stand against Islam.

"My conversion to Catholicism, which came at the hands of Benedict XVI during the Easter Vigil on 22 March 2008, I now consider finished in combination with the end of his pontificate," Mr Allam wrote on Monday in the right-wing Milan daily, Il Giornale.

The 61-year-old journalist and right-wing politician has long been an Italian citizen. He said he had pondered his decision to leave the Church for some time. However, he affirmed that the "last straw" was the election of Pope Francis, which he said was proof that the Church is "troppo buonista" - excessively tolerant.
"Pope Francis was last straw": Magdi Allam, high-profile Muslim convert baptized by Pope Benedict, leaves Catholic Church...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I read this in the secular press, the comments wondered if he was really a convert. His 'conversion' seemed to be more political than Christianity centered.
:confused:
Only God knows for sure. I do remember his conversion. Maybe he will return to the Church at some point.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Magdi Allam still a Catholic?

Magdi Allam, “a prominent Muslim-born journalist baptized by Pope Benedict XVI” has now blogged about “leaving the [C]hurch because it is too ‘weak with Islam.’” Maybe it’s just me, but this modern proclivity to parade one’s spiritual angst in the blogosphere is wearing pretty thin. Besides, as Chesterton remarked...

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How could he have been pondering leaving "for some time" if he was just baptized 5 years ago? Did he start pondering the day after his baptism?

5 years?
what a nonhacker
is that a common saying among people? nonhacker?
as in some one who can not "hack it" can not keep going
a quitter
anyways

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think he hasnt yet removed all of the Islam 'thinking' yet in order to fully embrace Christianity.
I think he is more eye for an eye...
God bless him - and strengthen him and fill him with graces so he is able to put away the old ways.

And if he leaves - the Eucharist may call him back.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and for in case he reads this [not likely] - i hope he understands we 'pray' and 'love' our enemies - even if we see their faults.
For they too need prayers and saved - God willing and through prayer.

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

"Pope Francis was last straw": Magdi Allam, high-profile Muslim convert baptized by Pope Benedict, leaves Catholic Church...

This kind of thing will always happen when you have people converting for politics and out of opposition for where they are coming from. When I see things like this, I can't help but think he was originally motivated more by quasi-political hatred for Islam then love of Christ, which is why the foundation of his faith fell out with the lack of a hardcore anti-Islam line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

truth325ad

Mar 31, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

don't let the door bruise him on the way out. his ideals is of the devil. where does it teach in the bible to hate. he is OK with the church not openly bashing devil worshipers (Don't have to everyone knows it wrong) but he wants it to attack people who worship the same god as we. the most high. good ridden we need more people like him to leave. he should spend more time getting his self right with god rather then worrying about other peoples faith.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Just in regards to whether he was really converted, etc. People can be really converted and then fall away (in this case into schism or heresy, it seems). We don't believe in OSAS or anything like that, whose proponents have to explain away the phenomenon of converts falling away by questioning whether the person was actually converted.

Reactions: MKJ
Upvote 0