Pope Francis: Small Ideological Groups Oppose Same-Sex Blessings; Africa a ‘Special Case’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘In the Church, there have always been small groups that manifest reflections of a schismatic nature,’ the Pope said. ‘One must let them carry on and pass away... and look ahead.’

Pope Francis suggested that the opposition to the Vatican’s approval of nonliturgical blessings for same-sex couples mostly comes from “small ideological groups” with the exception of Africa, which he said is “a special case.”

“Those who vehemently protest belong to small ideological groups,” Francis said in an interview on Monday with the Italian newspaper La Stampa, according to an English translation from the Church-run Vatican News.

Regarding the bishops in Africa, who have expressed some of the strongest criticisms of such blessings, the pontiff said they are “a special case” because “for them, homosexuality is something ‘ugly’ from a cultural point of view; they do not tolerate it.”

The Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith (DDF), led by Cardinal Víctor Manuel Fernández, published a declaration on Dec. 18, 2023, titled Fiducia Supplicans, which prompted the backlash. The declaration permits “spontaneous” pastoral blessings for “same-sex couples” and other couples in “irregular situations” but does not allow liturgical blessings, recognition of civil unions, or any actions that would make the blessings appear like a marriage.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
‘In the Church, there have always been small groups that manifest reflections of a schismatic nature,’ the Pope said. ‘One must let them carry on and pass away... and look ahead.’
That's sort of the plan for normal Catholics (laity, priests, bishops, bishop's conferences, cardinals, whole Rites, whole continents,) with pope Francis. We can't get through to him and we don't have a canon law option to remove him so we need to let the biological option stop him.
Pope Francis suggested that the opposition to the Vatican’s approval of nonliturgical blessings for same-sex couples mostly comes from “small ideological groups” with the exception of Africa, which he said is “a special case.”
I'm seeing a pattern here. A small ideological group has promoted 'non-liturgically' blessing' 'couples' in 'irregular' relationships' (not just same sex) and then accuses everybody else of being members of 'small ideological groups'.
“Those who vehemently protest belong to small ideological groups,” Francis said in an interview on Monday with the Italian newspaper La Stampa, according to an English translation from the Church-run Vatican News.

Regarding the bishops in Africa, who have expressed some of the strongest criticisms of such blessings, the pontiff said they are “a special case” because “for them, homosexuality is something ‘ugly’ from a cultural point of view; they do not tolerate it.”
Such benighted Africans, who if they could only get beyond the limits of their inferior cultures would see the wonders of our glorious kind of sex and get right on board with the rest of the Church. Is that the Church I signed on for? I don't think so.

Maybe I'm wrong and Fiducia Supplicans makes total sense. Maybe James Martin was right after all. Maybe I'm just a theological troglodyte. Maybe I listen to all the wrong cardinals like Sarah and Zen and Burke and Muller. Maybe I should be in tune with Fernandez and Cupich and McElroy and Hollerich. After all popes Benedict and John Paul are dead and gone. We have a new Magisterium. I am so not impressed.

Upvote 0