Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The meeting comes weeks after reports that Pope Francis had stripped Cardinal Burke of his Vatican housing and salary privileges.

Pope Francis on Friday had an audience with Cardinal Raymond Burke, the Vatican said, several weeks after a flurry of reported controversy involving the pontiff and the 75-year-old U.S.-born prelate.

A release from the Holy See Press Office briefly mentioned that the Pope had met with Cardinal Burke in an audience on Friday morning. No reason was given for the meeting, nor were details of the audience shared by the press office.

The cardinal on Friday declined to comment on the meeting.

The meeting comes weeks after reports that Pope Francis had stripped Cardinal Burke of his Vatican housing and salary privileges, with the Holy Father allegedly claiming that Cardinal Burke was a source of “disunity” in the Church and that he was using the privileges afforded to retired cardinals against the Church.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The meeting comes weeks after reports that Pope Francis had stripped Cardinal Burke of his Vatican housing and salary privileges.

Pope Francis on Friday had an audience with Cardinal Raymond Burke, the Vatican said, several weeks after a flurry of reported controversy involving the pontiff and the 75-year-old U.S.-born prelate.

A release from the Holy See Press Office briefly mentioned that the Pope had met with Cardinal Burke in an audience on Friday morning. No reason was given for the meeting, nor were details of the audience shared by the press office.

The meeting comes weeks after reports that Pope Francis had stripped Cardinal Burke of his Vatican housing and salary privileges, with the Holy Father allegedly claiming that Cardinal Burke was a source of “disunity” in the Church and that he was using the privileges afforded to retired cardinals against the Church.

Continued below.
This may be the meeting that SHOULD have happened two months ago or more.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Continued below.
I didn’t realize they hadn’t talked in SEVEN YEARS. Even bishops have their scheduled visits (in groups with individual time) every five years. It’s a bit crazy that you don’t find time to talk with someone who is after all an advisor.

And I agree about the cardinal’s sense of humor.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Assuming we're both on the same Guardian page, it seems Pope Francis has asked Cardinal Burke to replace Cardinal Tucho Fernandez as the prefect for the Dicastry for the Doctrine of the Faith, as Cardinal Fernandez appears to have foot in mouth disease.

Whether Cardinal Burke will get his apartment back (if he ever left it) remains unsaid.

Meanwhile the rest of us laity (including ex-Protestants who joined the Catholic Church) are left wondering what the magisterium actually does in its spare time. There hasn't been much that I've found inspiring.

As my old Presbyterian pastor said to me once (and I make no apology for his words) - "The Church can be pretty stupid at times".

Post Script - When I do a search for the alleged Guardian headline about the Pope reversing his decision regarding Burke, I don't seem to get a response?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Assuming we're both on the same Guardian page, it seems Pope Francis has asked Cardinal Burke to replace Cardinal Tucho Fernandez as the prefect for the Dicastry for the Doctrine of the Faith, as Cardinal Fernandez appears to have foot in mouth disease.

Whether Cardinal Burke will get his apartment back (if he ever left it) remains unsaid.

Meanwhile the rest of us laity (including ex-Protestants who joined the Catholic Church) are left wondering what the magisterium actually does in its spare time. There hasn't been much that I've found inspiring.

As my old Presbyterian pastor said to me once (and I make no apology for his words) - "The Church can be pretty stupid at times".

Post Script - When I do a search for the alleged Guardian headline about the Pope reversing his decision regarding Burke, I don't seem to get a response?
Either April Fools or an absolute miracle. I believe in miracles but the more likely answer by far is that someone is pulling somebody’s leg. How I wish the story were true.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Please tell me this 04/01 story is not "Happy April Fool's Day!!!!"
I’m so sorry. I wish it was true. If it was true the Pillar would already have been all over it. Instead they have a story about how cardinal Fernandez is about to release another document. He says it will be less controversial. Ha!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The new document Cardinal Fernandez is releasing states that he is doing a swap with Cardinal Burke.

He's moving into Cardinal Burke's apartment and Cardinal Burke is taking over his chair.:sleep:
I wish.

It would be a smart thing to do, by the way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I really dislike April Fool’s day btw. :rolleyes:
If pope Francis really did this, an actual 'come to Jesus moment', there are a WHOLE LOT OF OTHER cardinals he would also have to replace.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0