Pope Francis, in Shift for Church, Voices Support for Same-Sex Civil Unions

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Pope Francis, in Shift for Church, Voices Support for Same-Sex Civil Unions
Pope Francis, who since the beginning of his pontificate has taken a more tolerant tone toward homosexuality, appeared to break with the position of the Roman Catholic Church by supporting civil unions for same-sex couples, according to remarks Francis made in a new documentary that debuted in Rome on Wednesday.

Speaking about pastoral outreach and care for people who identified as L.G.B.T., Francis directly addresses the issue of civil unions in the film.

“What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered,” Francis said amid remarks in which he otherwise reiterated his support for gay people as children of God. “I stood up for that.”

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Compassion is good.
But compassion for the wrong reasons is still wrong.
That's not compassion, that's aiding and abetting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Compassion is good. But compassion for the wrong reasons is still wrong.
What is wrong with civil unions? They are only recognized by the state, not the church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Francis directly addresses the issue of civil unions in the film.

“What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered,”
How naive the Pope must be to think that this approach has a ghost of a chance of succeeding. :rolleyes: It didn't before, so why would it now?

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,756.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,163.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that what Pope Francis says corresponds with Jesus' Gospel message: Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. I think that Pope Francis understands that it is in the context of loving relationships that we come to know God. "God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God and God in him."
Although the Church (and by the way, "the Church" does not disagree with Pope Francis, who is the policy maker for the Church) may consider the sexual aspects of a gay relationship disordered, living in a loving relationship contributes to human growth and fulfillment and, in general, makes us more compassionate and loving towards the rest of our human family.
We experience God's love through the love of others, and, as the song says,
It only takes a spark

To get a fire going
And soon all those around
Can warm up in the glowing
That’s how it is with God’s love
Once you’ve experienced it
You’ll spread His love
To everyone
You’ll want to pass it on

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Compassion is good.
But compassion for the wrong reasons is still wrong.
That's not compassion, that's aiding and abetting.
So you don't believe the Pope is the Vicar of Christ? Or you believe that the Vicar of Christ is wrong?

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Also I have seen a horrible thing in the prophets of Jerusalem: They commit adultery and walk in lies; They also strengthen the hands of evildoers, So that no one turns back from his wickedness.

Acceptance of sin strengthens their hand. This is wrong.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Also I have seen a horrible thing in the prophets of Jerusalem: They commit adultery and walk in lies; They also strengthen the hands of evildoers, So that no one turns back from his wickedness.

Acceptance of sin strengthens their hand. This is wrong.
So what do you propose to do about it? What do you think should be done?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what do you propose to do about it? What do you think should be done?

I have to be honest.......the pope should be removed. If the leader of the church can't follow the word of God he will currupt the others. If it's not possible to remove him the congregation should walk out.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How naive the Pope must be to think that this approach has a ghost of a chance of succeeding. :rolleyes: It didn't before, so why would it now?
Because time change? Gay marriage did not have a shot in hell 50 years ago. Now it is becoming the norm in many places.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have to be honest.......the pope should be removed. If the leader of the church can't follow the word of God he will currupt the others. If it's not possible to remove him the congregation should walk out.
Well, I don't think he has said anything that is contrary to the word of God. A civil union-law would not necessarily conflict with the Christian faith. It would depend on the specific terms of the law to be enacted, I think. We would need a bit more detail about exactly what he has in mind, what he would permit, or not permit, to see if he is in error, I think. As it is now we just have some very general statements made by him.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
LOL! That's about 1.2 billion congregants.

• Useful
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I don't think he has said anything that is contrary to the word of God. A civil union-law would not necessarily conflict with the Christian faith. It would depend on the specific terms of the law to be enacted, I think. We would need a bit more detail about exactly what he has in mind, what he would permit, or not permit, to see if he is in error, I think. As it is now we just have some very general statements made by him.

I don't know if what was said is true but with the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL! That's about 1.2 billion congregants.

There will be a great falling away. Who's to say what will cause it. It could happen at anytime.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So you don't believe the Pope is the Vicar of Christ? Or you believe that the Vicar of Christ is wrong?
The pope is infalliable don't you know? That means that every single word said by a pope in the history of the world is correct.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because time change? Gay marriage did not have a shot in hell 50 years ago. Now it is becoming the norm in many places.
Yes, but the gay lobby, gay activists, absolutely refused to accept what the Pope is talking about.

Their demand was that gay unions be treated--and called--the same as the marriages of opposite sex couples. To use a different term or title was considered by them to be demeaning and, therefore, unacceptable.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There will be a great falling away. Who's to say what will cause it. It could happen at anytime.
I don't see that there are many Catholics who would chuck their religion and become right-wing Evangelical Protestants just because of what the Pope said about civil unions.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0