Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would not accept arguments from authority from Fr. Goring or Michael Lofton, although one could certainly do worse.

When it comes to YouTube, I would say Fr. Gregory Pine is very precise and careful. Cardinal Müller is top-rate. Dr. Larry Chapp is worth listening to when he is having a good day, and he often interviews guests who are deeply knowledgeable. When he publishes with news agencies he is most careful and clear.
Some of you would not accept arguments from authority from the pope himself let alone a parish priest or a lay-theologian (just a joke).

If something makes sense to me it makes sense to me. If I disagree with it I disagree. I don't particularly care who the author is unless it is my bishop or the magisterium. But when I see a "traditionalist" priest expressing a positive view with respect to a document like Fiducia Supplicans it does carry a little extra weight with me, because he is taking a lot of flack in his own community for it and going against what one might typically expect from him. In those cases I suspect that he is analzying from a perspective of objectivity (although nobody knows for sure).

Thank you for the suggestions. I have not listned to Larry Chapp in particualr so I'll add him to my YT.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't know why a few of you keep bothering. Do people really lack the insight to see disingenuous nonsense when it's right in front of their face again and again and again? The document could have said that gays can get blessed in the act of Sodomy, and the neck beard and fedora would come out to tell you why it's right and you're wrong for interpreting it that way all the same. Just stop. Wolves will always get into the henhouse.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am saying that your argument entails this absurd consequence. If you are going to depend on a premise which dissociates "coupleship" from sexual activity, then you have to answer my counterargument which shows the strange consequences of such a move. If the pre-sexual same-sex couple is not engaging in sexual acts, then on your view there is nothing disordered in their coupleship.

Suppose you don't point at anyone, but just say, "Hey John, look at that couple." Both sets of two people are in plain sight. Which people will John look at? (Note that all you keep doing is denying the definition of "couple" that you provided from Merriam-Webster.)

Then the document should have been written about blessing friendships, as I already noted. If their sex were "tangential" then the document would not have spoken specifically of their sex. To speak about "a same-sex couple" is to speak about a sexed couple.

Yes, it is ludicrous because the document is about blessing those who are sexually active in extramarital relationships. That is why the document is about both heterosexual couples in irregular situations, and same-sex couples. You seem to have missed this entirely, early on. The whole reason the blessing is controversial and the document is so careful is because the object of the blessing has, up to now, been illicit. That is why it is an "innovation." That is why a new theology of blessing is being proposed. It is illicit because of the connection of the coupleship with sinful sexual acts.

(I use the neologism "coupleship" to prescind from the couple vs. union question)

Yes, because no one thinks blessing individuals is a problem. If the document wanted to do this it could have said, "As you already know, you can bless sinful individuals as long as you are not blessing their sins." That would have avoided all of the controversy. But it wouldn't have helped the German situation.

I suggest reading it again. The subject is consistently the two as a single unit, as a single couple ("themselves," "their own status," "their lives," "their relationships," etc.). There is no indication at all that separated individuals are being blessed. In fact there is perhaps no way, using common language, to further emphasize that the two being blessed are united.

Correct, but the exact same logic applies to blessing the couple (and that is how I stated it earlier in the thread). If the blessing succeeds then apparently the couple that is being blessed will no longer be a couple. It is precisely the same logic.

Note well that saying, "It can't be X because then the document would be self-contradictory," is not even a relevant response to our charge that the document is self-contradictory. In logical terms this is the informal fallacy of begging the question. Instead you are required to show, organically, that the document does not contradict itself. You can't just assume that it doesn't contradict itself and then redefine the literal sense of the words and clauses to fit your pre-determined conclusion.

Sure: the blessing of a married couple that I cited earlier would be an example of a relationship receiving an actual grace.

Okay, fair enough.

Fair enough.

I haven't read or watched much outside of the document itself, but I did read the article about Cardinal Fernández' clarifications on Pillar Catholic. It was almost as evasive as the document itself, but there he takes a different tack than you do. He basically says that the non-sexual parts of the relationship are being blessed. He also speaks of "blessing irregular couples," which is useful and transparent, explicating precisely what I have been saying about the extramarital nature of both sorts of relationships.

Yes, this is correct and incisive. But for me (and for Thomists) a "union" is not reified, nor does it mean "civil union." A union is simply that which unites the couple (or any group of people). So to bless brothers is to bless a union; to bless a married couple is to bless a union; to bless friends is to bless a union, etc. A union when it comes to a couple is more or less the same as the relationship, with some slight philosophical differences. What is at stake is the nature of the union in question.

So I would interpret Fernández as intending to bless the non-sinful aspects of the union, and my objection would be that the union of a couple, according to Merriam-Webster, is ordered to engagement, marriage, and the sort of romance that attends those realities (sexual romance). Now there are non-sexual aspects to the sort of union which unites a couple (i.e. romantic union), but if Merriam-Webster is right, then to bless these non-sexual aspects of the union without blessing the romantic essence of the union, would be like blessing a tree without blessing the roots, trunk, branches, leaves, sap, or bark. Or blessing a car without blessing the engine.

At a deeper root are abstruse debates about the legitimacy of non-sexual, same-sex, "romantic" relationships. But these debates are so obscure and infrequent that I would be surprised if the document is referencing them, much less taking a strong stand on such an underdeveloped theological question. Honestly, I think the document is painfully imprecise, underdeveloped, imprudent, and premature. And I think there is every reason to believe it is incoherent/self-contradictory, even though there are tiny possibilities that it is not.

More basically, here is a comment I posted to Trent Horn's YouTube video, which I skimmed:

"Can Horn defend his claim that there is a relevant difference between a couple and the union that unites them, such that one could bless the couple qua couple without blessing the union that constitutes their pairing? Such an idea strikes me as dubious."
To clarify your view on a couple things:

The Responsum states "For this reason, it is not licit to impart a blessing on relationships, or partnerships, even stable, that involve sexual activity outside of marriage (i.e., outside the indissoluble union of a man and a woman open in itself to the transmission of life), as is the case of the unions between persons of the same sex. The presence in such relationships of positive elements, which are in themselves to be valued and appreciated, cannot justify these relationships and render them legitimate objects of an ecclesial blessing, since the positive elements exist within the context of a union not ordered to the Creator’s plan."

1) To me, the statement above appears to come into direct conflict with your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans. Thus, I assume your view is that Fiducia Supplicans has efectively abgrogated the Responsum. Is this correct?

2) If we assume that the Responsum has not been abrogated - is your view that the object of the blessing in Fiducia Supplicans is the "coupleship" tenable?

3) If you believe that your interpretation of Fiducia Supplicans can be reconciled with the Responsum - how do you do that?

4) My other question is - how do you distinguish your argument from the situation where someone says "Bless a sinner but not the sin"? Here, committing a sin is an essential element of what makes a person a "sinner". If "blessing a couple" must entail blessing that which makes them a couple, why cannot the same argument be made against "blessing the sinner"? That is, why would you not say "To bless the sinner is to bless what makes him a sinner (him having committed sins). Thus, sinners cannot be blessed because by definition this includes blessing his sin"? I think the logic here is exactly the same as the core of your argument, and that you can see what the problem with this is. When people say "bless the sinner" they are talking about blessing the sinner with respect to his person-hood, not with respect to what makes him the sinner (his sins). That is, if I say "bless a sinner" most people will naturally conclude that this means "bless a sinner qua person" not "bless a sinner qua sinner". Your argument seems to assume that "bless a couple" in the document must mean "bless a couple qua couple" - but where do you see that in the document?

I stole this "qua" phrase from you by the way. I like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why a few of you keep bothering. Do people really lack the insight to see disingenuous nonsense when it's right in front of their face again and again and again? The document could have said that gays can get blessed in the act of Sodomy, and the neck beard and fedora would come out to tell you why it's right and you're wrong for interpreting it that way all the same. Just stop. Wolves will always get into the henhouse.
Have you read the documents yet?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Nigerian bishops, the largest country in Africa by population, for example, have already received the teaching as you can see in the letter below:

I think the other African nations will follow suit, even those that have initially rejected the teaching. Here, pope Francis has not set rigid rules in the document, so it still leaves much to the discretion of individual bishops concerning the specific implementation, taking into account the specific cultural and other circumstances in the diocese of each bishop.
I read the Nigerian statement to say there is no possibility of blessing any same sex unions. Nothing has changed. The question is whether they have found and agreed with the cleverness of cardinal Fernandez or not. I think not. I think they maintain Catholic teaching.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Each bishop, in keeping with the faith, should say that this document has no standing in his diocese to change anything. Of course, with such a mess coming out of the Vatican, some eager bishops will bless the unblessable and demand their priests do so as well. Confusion reigns. Akita sure got this generation of bishops and cardinals right.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Serious question - if your view is that the Catholic magisterium is a pack of wolves out for the destruction of souls - how do you evangelize to non-Catholics? It's kind of like you would need to say "come join the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, who has the fullness of truth, and don't mind that the head of the church and the bishops in communion with him are out to destroy your soul."

I mean, if my view of the Church was that the magisterium was secretly out to destroy my soul, I would find another church with a different magisterium (the Eastern Orthodox perhaps).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More-

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
More-

"“Those who say so either have not read the text or have ‘bad blood,’ if you will pardon the expression. The statement clearly and ad nauseam states that these blessings are non-ritualized so that they are not interpreted as a marriage,” the cardinal told the Spanish newspaper ABC in an interview published Dec. 25."

I like the 'they didn't read it' meme. Not true with me. But it implies that there is no problem with the document. The only problem is with knee jerk people. Yeah, right.

Or for those of us who have read it (a few times now) the 'bad blood' meme comes out. Yup. People who disagree are just bad people. Yeah, right.

Couldn't possibly be that there is something wrong with the document. No way. It's got signatures on it.

IF there was no change then there would be no need for a document making a whole new category of blessings so they could bless what couldn't be blessed before. Let them get all the blessings they want in the confessional. That's always been available for everybody. Confession starts with a blessing of a sinful person who recognizes they have sinned. All manner of sinners get this blessing. Then they confess their sins, do an act of contrition, receive absolution, get a penance, and do the penance. Nobody is excluded. They get the blessing first even if they are not contrite.

The fun and games with words continues at the Vatican. This is a major blunder and they are doubling down on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Or for those of us who have read it (a few times now) the 'bad blood' meme comes out. Yup. People who disagree are just bad people. Yeah, right.
You are correct here.

But it is perfectly fine to presume that the vicar of Christ has bad blood and has purposefully made the document ambiguous to give people a license to bless sin.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You know, I've read about, I don't know, 22 pages of opinions on Sir Francis and his motivations here. Maybe it's just as simple as he's claiming:

LGBT people are here, they are part of the Church (whether you are comfortable with that or not) and they need pastoral services. They are, after all, part of his flock, and he does has responsibilities to them beyond attempting to ignore their presence.

All he's saying is, it's ok for you, Mr. Parish priest, to actually, you know, do your job and be God's representative for these people.

Past that, we're all hardened sinner here and none of use are going to stop (let's get real). I don't't think you get to threw someone out of the Church just because you don't like someone else's style of spiritual misconduct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bishop Martin Anwel Mtumbuka, Bishop of the diocese of Karonga, Malawi, delivered this powerful homily during the Christmas Vigil liturgy on December 24, 2023at St Anne’s Parish (Chiluma). Bishop Mtumbuka responds to the Declaration on the Pastoral Meaning of Blessings (Fiducia Supplicans). The Bishop has since asked the faithful in the Diocese to ignore the document in its entirety.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, I've read about, I don't know, 22 pages of opinions on Sir Francis and his motivations here. Maybe it's just as simple as he's claiming:

LGBT people are here, they are part of the Church (whether you are comfortable with that or not) and they need pastoral services. They are, after all, part of his flock, and he does has responsibilities to them beyond attempting to ignore their presence.

All he's saying is, it's ok for you, Mr. Parish priest, to actually, you know, do your job and be God's representative for these people.

Past that, we're all hardened sinner here and none of use are going to stop (let's get real). I don't't think you get to threw someone out of the Church just because you don't like someone else's style of spiritual misconduct.
I knew you’d be back. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I ain't dead yet.
To Misquote President Clinton: "It's the culture, Stupid". First sentence of the article:
Most reverend John Kobina Louis, the Auxiliary Bishop of Accra Archdiocese has said Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI+) practices are an abomination to Ghanaian culture as such they must not be encouraged in Ghana.
The Rev Louis isn't taking a stand on the theology of the Pope statement, he's making a statement about the culture of Ghana. Ok, cool. But we don't all live in Ghana. 2 billion Catholics live in societies scattered all over the world, and the theology of the Church isn't based on any of those cultures. It has its own.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ain't dead yet.

To Misquote President Clinton: "It's the culture, Stupid". First sentence of the article:
You keep saying you NEVER come back but you always do. It’s weirdly reassuring. :wave:

Upvote 0