Polygamy and Orthodoxy

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Exactly what kind of advice are you looking for? I read your first post, I didn't really see any specific request for advice, can you explain more?

Regardless of what kind of advice you are seeking, I doubt it you'll find anyone here that will say to you that being in a polyamorous relationship is "a ok" and give you advice about how to deal with those kinds of relationships.

So the advice will be if you are an Orthodox Christian is to not engage in such relationships. If you are looking for why we don't allow multiple spouses, there are tons of material out there on what is marriage according to the Orthodox Church. I'm sure you can avail yourself of those resources.

As for your age, I do agree with you on that. Rumeister has a somewhat light obsession with pointing out that if you are young, you are automatically less knowledgeable than he is by virtue of his age (he's in in 50's I think) I'm in my 30's so he probably thinks I have no idea what I'm talking about either.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As for your age, I do agree with you on that. Rumeister has a somewhat light obsession with pointing out that if you are young, you are automatically less knowledgeable than he is by virtue of his age (he's in in 50's I think) I'm in my 30's so he probably thinks I have no idea what I'm talking about either.

I think Rusmeister is simply pointing out that we're getting mixed signals from this poster. He claims to be 25, and also said he has been an alcoholic for ten years (which means he was a 15-year-old alcoholic- it's very possible- but if he was an alcoholic and in a polyamorous relationship then he needs advice we're not qualified to give here), and referred to me as being younger than himself, and I'm 39.

Also- I don't see how someone can say they're not even baptized yet still be Orthodox? Is he a Catechumen? He needs to talk to a priest, not us.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

4 He answered, “Haven’t you read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall join to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh?’ 6 So that they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, don’t let man tear apart.”

Straight from Christ, one woman one man...that is it.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
<Staff Edit> While Judaism remained polygamous (but began to disapprove though not forbid as a matter of law) it seems very early that Christian practice adopted monogamy. Paul's epistles and the Lord's commands give some hint as to why but I do not think there is any immediate definitive answer as to why the new covenant differed from the old. I have often puzzled as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mod Hat On

Thread reopened and undergone a thread cleanup. If your post is gone that is the reason. I will remind everyone not to flame/goad each other. Address the post not the poster. Please adhere to this otherwise this thread could end up being permanently locked. Thank you.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0