Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Cussing isn't forbidden by the Orthodox Church... Can I cuss now?

I think the week long vote is a bad idea btw. This needs a yes or no soon. This isn't healthy for anyone #*@€¢£!

We could end it earlier if most of the active members of the forum have voted. I think that is the case. I do not see many who post here missing. I originally had it set for 3 days but wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to vote.

But if discussion just goes in circles and most regular posters have voted, it should be closed before the weekend. Because there would be no point in having it escalate when the outcome will not change.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟637,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We could end it earlier if most of the active members of the forum have voted. I think that is the case. I do not see many who post here missing. I originally had it set for 3 days but wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to vote.

But if discussion just goes in circles and most regular posters have voted, it should be closed before the weekend. Because there would be no point in having it escalate when the outcome will not change.
I'm picking at nits here, and I know that but I have an organizational suggestion for the rule.

As it exists of this moment: I would suggest moving the very first sentence to be the second sentence in the next paragraph. That would put similar thought together.
No rewording, merely moving one sentence. I bolded the moved sentence.

This reordering would read thusly:
Supporting the dignity of African Americans as equal and in the Image of God does not require the support of BLM. The movement to draw attention to the systematic inequality that many face does not require one to support the BLM organization.

BLM has a mission statement against the faith of this area, promotion of the organization is not allowed. The organization Black Lives Matter promotes the LGBTQ agenda as part of their mission. Promoting that black lives matter and they are, as all of us, made in the Image of God is allowed. Promoting social justice in line with the teachings of Christ is allowed. But supporting the organization BLM is not.

Such actions will be considered a violation of the statement of faith for supporting things not in line with our beliefs.

Images will depend on their context. Trademarked images of BLM and publicity from them will not be allowed. A picture relevant to a theological discussion of the topic that happens to have the words in signs, would be fine as long as they are not used repeatedly to goad.

Please evaluate whether your thread or post is more appropriate for the political forums rather than the congregational area.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,760.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I disagree completely with this one:
Until "Black Lives Matters" is defined by our bishops as a movement which is un-Orthodox, or that support is forbidden, it is not for us to do so.

Certainly we should defer when bishops speak, but to defer all judgement UNTIL they speak is not the kind of sheepishness we are called to. We ourselves are supposed to strive to be as wise as serpents. I don't need to wait for a bishop to do so for me to condemn a murder as evil, or an attitude as evil.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟740,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now I'm nitpicking, but if I read the paragraph below I take away the fact that "non-trademarked" BLM images are in fact allowed as it specifies that trademarked images are not allowed. I'd also posit that most people have no idea which images are, or are not trademarked by BLM honestly. This isn't a statement for, or against anything. I just think that may require some clarity, or it may cause trouble down the road.

Food for thought.

"Images will depend on their context. Trademarked images of BLM and publicity from them will not be allowed. A picture relevant to a theological discussion of the topic that happens to have the words in signs, would be fine as long as they are not used repeatedly to goad."

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Now I'm nitpicking, but if I read the paragraph below I take away the fact that "non-trademarked" BLM images are in fact allowed as it specifies that trademarked images are not allowed. I'd also posit that most people have no idea which images are, or are not trademarked by BLM honestly. This isn't a statement for, or against anything. I just think that may require some clarity, or it may cause trouble down the road.

Food for thought.

"Images will depend on their context. Trademarked images of BLM and publicity from them will not be allowed. A picture relevant to a theological discussion of the topic that happens to have the words in signs, would be fine as long as they are not used repeatedly to goad."

I can work to clarify that language. I'll be able to do it a little later today. We start our homeschool year in July, so I have some history to teach in a bit.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,760.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Food for thought.

I object to references to trademarks, for the reasons I have already laid out. It is a lawyerly attempt to continue promoting the same symbols and make the rule of no effect.

• Informative
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I made some of the requested tweaking of the order of the wording.

I made a clarification about images also adding a Grace period where I will deal with issues on images with a discussion with the poster rather than a warning. I would also keep the community transparently informed of how that is going, until we get to a clarity on that.

Context and case-by-case will matter. So it is hard to blanket. So I'll volunteer my time to directly handle those to address the community's concerns on underreach or overreach. And during that time it will be a personal discussion I have with the poster and not a warning on the record until we see how that implementation is working.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you want we can define it as the Black Lives Matter Network, which is all groups who have signed on to support the main statement. That is how the three co-founders define it and ask affiliates and chapters to agree to support the statement of who they are.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,760.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please define what BLM is. You refer to the BLM organization, but there is nothing with that name. There not agreement on whether it is an organization, a movement, or a movement led by an organization. Which are you banning support for? If it is for Black Lives Matters Foundation, Inc., no problem. If it's for the entire movement, TAW is making a rule that at least one Archbishop participated in an anti-Christian march holding an anti-Christian sign.

Archbishop Elpidophoros of America joins march in Brooklyn - Keep Talking Greece

Please define precisely what we are banning.

Can I change my avatar to the Archbishop holding that sign?

I just had a look at our current statement of faith. It's fairly short and has references. This BLM statement will almost double it and is based on the opinion of members that a whole movement is identified by one group.

Keep this up and I'll urge voting for anything that has that expression. Your efforts to seek loopholes are saddening. Yes, it IS a problem that an archbishop marched. He did so, I hope, out of well-intentioned ignorance. I'll vote and urge others to vote, to ban using the archbishop to promote it. Unless you accept what we have already agreed on. They are getting and spending millions of dollars to organize a political force around the globe.
Black Lives Matter - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

walking.away.123

Mar 24, 2004
None
✟25,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you want we can define it as the Black Lives Matter Network, which is all groups who have signed on to support the main statement. That is how the three co-founders define it and ask affiliates and chapters to agree to support the statement of who they are.

That is much preferable as it doesn't seem pointed at each and every protester. However, I've decided to remove myself from the conversation. I'd remove my vote, but I can only change it. This forum used to be a place a love and support, and while there are some who are trying to show that and point inquirers in the right direction, too much of the space is filled with the results of the western world's culture wars. I feel there is fear here. It is not good for my spiritual growth.

@Davidnic I want to PM you about removing myself from this forum for privacy reasons, but your profile is limited and I don't see a way to. Could you please PM me, or point me to the right person to contact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,760.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is much preferable as it doesn't seem pointed at each and every protester. However, I've decided to remove myself from the conversation. I'd remove my vote, but I can only change it. This forum used to be a place a love and support, and while there are some who are trying to show that and point inquirers in the right direction, too much of the space is filled with the results of the western world's culture wars. I feel there is fear here. It is not good for my spiritual growth.

@Davidnic I want to PM you about removing myself from this forum for privacy reasons, but your profile is limited and I don't see a way to. Could you please PM me, or point me to the right person to contact.
I am sorry, SFB,
But sometimes love feels like a slap across the face, and not a friendly tap on the shoulder. You came in where other members had already had conflicts you didn't see, and you effectively took a side, presumably out of your laudable hatred of racism that we all share. There IS truth about this, and I think there's a little on the side you have chosen - and agree with it, and the rest is greatly mistaken about what this movement is doing in the world now. It's NOT working towards peace, or for our Lord and Savior. People who refuse to see that, despite the rioting, mayhem and murder, need a tougher form of love - confrontation - to wake them up. John Lennon is not going to fly here, much as we'd all like to be nice about this. BLM is a fast track to anarchy, and from there, to a new totalitarianism.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Nick T

Lurker
May 31, 2010
UK
✟15,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Nick,
The need for the rule may have been TRIGGERED by the choices of a specific member, but are NOT meant merely to "target a specific member", but to decide whether a thing may be done in general or not.

If that is the intent then it should've been done with a spirit of consensus to try and work out among the active posters including the member in question how TAW can accommodate a variety of political beliefs without allowing the endorsement of un-christian organisations. Instead an already-baked proposal that will very obviously (down to even a specific mention of logos and avatars in the proposal) result in the banning of that specific unpopular member was unveiled essentially for rubber stamping by an already willing majority. Forgive me but I feel I'm being asked to exercise extraordinary levels of naivete to accept that its all about generalities and the effect on this member is just happenstance. Particularly considering the vehemence we can see even on this thread that explicitly target this member by name.
But anyway its probably not profitable for me to speculate on motivations any further; I was merely expressing how I feel it looks from an outside perspective.

EDIT: I've been informed that this is in fact a CF-wide change and not TAW specific so I apologise and retract what I said above, although I still find the vehemence shown in this thread against the specific poster disturbing.

The issue of an avatar that is at once political and that is decidedly connected by a great many people with anti-Christian and anti-American acts in recent months and a definite, well-known, and well-funded organization that is open about its anti-Christian beliefs. WE have already proposed multiple ways that any member who believes in "systemic racism" could legitimately express that (though I think that it is unwise for any of us to use our avatars to make political statements) while completely disconnecting themselves from the evil associations. "Black lives are sacred, too" would do it; tell me why that is unacceptable. Adhering to the specific wording means insisting on the association, which is the whole problem.
And "trademarking" is irrelevant. Is the swastika trademarked? Is Che Guevara's image under copyright? The trouble with the lawyerly approach is that it ignores natural associations in people's minds. Setting aside the proposition that lawyers are not real people, people are not lawyers. If you fly a flag, we're not going to ask if you have a license for that. We're going to take it that you mean what the most well-known actors flying the flag have meant, and that you agree with and support them. We're not going to inquire into your articles of incorporation.
The trouble with talking about "disagreeing" and "other voices" and "variety of opinion" is that flying a flag connected to evil action and belief constitutes supporting it. It means countenancing the actions and beliefs by effective silence (where is one going to fit loud disclaimers on that same flag disassociating them from the evil?). It is trying to serve two masters. Riots are bad. Anarchy is bad. Sexual anarchy is bad. It ought to be as plain as a pig in a poke that we must not appear to support such things. That's why we have to forbid an avatar of the Ku Klux Klan or Guevara. There is no room for disagreement, or other voices, or a variety of opinion. Guevara or Communist supporters ostensibly desire good things; they hate particular evils created under capitalism and desire to end them. But despite the good intentions of many, the leadership has consistently shown their commitment to evil ends. So it is with BLM. Many people of good intention and will who hate racial injustice and desire to help end it. Their good intentions are irrelevant to what is actually done loudly and with great fanfare in their name. That's why there's no room for it.

This is how it seems to you, but it is important to realise that others do not make this association. I have many friends, both Christians and non-Christians, who are vocally supportive of the broader Black Lives Matter movement and I had never even heard that there was such a thing as a "BLM organisation" until I came onto this forum. Much less that such an organisation held anti-christian views. The associations that you and other posters who share the same political opinions as you have on this matter might seem entirely "natural" to you but as several posters have stated they are not "natural" to others. Refusing to specify and simply relying on the "natural" instinct of a certain like-minded group will only have the effect of silencing those outside of that group since they will likely find themselves under frequent accusations for not having the same "natural" repulsion against certain phrases.
This is in fact quite similar to the political correctness we see damaging public life these days. Vague, yet seemingly sensible, rules are put into place forbidding something everyone can agree is bad, but precisely because of their vagueness they can easily be used to accuse any opinion that the majority disagree with. It should not be that simply because I associate something with un-christian beliefs I can call on the mods to get it banned- there should be clearly set out objective criteria that everyone can conform to. I only mentioned trademarks because that is the wording already used in the proposal but even just something like "any slogan used in an official publication by said group" would be much better than a very vague term like "supports". Or even just saying "any reference to the recent protests must be accompanied by a specific disclaimer disavowing support for this specific group".

If there is a specific vision behind this proposal as to what phrases do or do not have "evil associations" (as you have given examples of in this thread) then this should be explicit in the wording of the rule itself so those who do not happen to share your specific knowledge of what does or does not have certain associations do not unintentionally get themselves into trouble with the mods. I should be able to comfortably have a discussion about my views on the wider discussion about systematic racism without having to constantly second guess what associations others might make with my words that I do not. Simply adding clarity on specifically what phrases/opinion/images are intended by this rule count as "support for the BLM organisation" avoids this and allows discussion to continue.

It's FINE to be against racial injustice, especially if you have been racially unjust yourself. Joseph Pearce was a white supremacist advocating violence against minorities who did prison time, met Chesterton, became Catholic, and now blasts white supremacism. But protesting against an attitude in people's hearts is vain. There is sin in our own hearts. Protesting a specific injustice is NOT vain. You can hope to achieve justice. But when you do protest against something specific (and a huge portion even of people who peacefully protest are protesting against a general attitude and avoid being specific) you have to be sure you are disassociated from those openly doing and advocating evil. A refusal to do that IS to associate yourself with them. Claiming that you are not is as silly as a person flying a swastika denying connection to the Nazis. If, say, a violent organization arose to combat abortion using known logos or symbolism, and I adopted that symbolism because I think abortion the one political issue on which there is no doubt - immediate abolition is the only answer, I would be just as guilty, however right I am to hate abortion.

I don't have a problem with demanding disassociation. I am simply saying define what this entails. For example I would not think its problematic or association with evil to say:
"While I certainly disagree with the anti-Christian agendas that the "official" BLM organisation and its affiliates promote, I am pleased that so many people have come out around the world to express their opposition with racism and hope that this movement carries forward into a lasting change against systemic racism in our society, as indeed it already is in some places with regards to law enforcement."
However it is unclear to me whether such a statement would fall foul of the new rule, since while I have disavowed the official organisation I am still supportive of the wider protests which technically they are a part of. If I am simply being paranoid then I apologise, but this is exactly my concern with this kind of vagueness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟120,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If that is the intent then it should've been done with a spirit of consensus to try and work out among the active posters including the member in question how TAW can accommodate a variety of political beliefs without allowing the endorsement of un-christian organisations. Instead an already-baked proposal that will very obviously (down to even a specific mention of logos and avatars in the proposal) result in the banning of that specific unpopular member was unveiled essentially for rubber stamping by an already willing majority. Forgive me but I feel I'm being asked to exercise extraordinary levels of naivete to accept that its all about generalities and the effect on this member is just happenstance. Particularly considering the vehemence we can see even on this thread that explicitly target this member by name.
But anyway its probably not profitable for me to speculate on motivations any further; I was merely expressing how I feel it looks from an outside perspective.

This is how it seems to you, but it is important to realise that others do not make this association. I have many friends, both Christians and non-Christians, who are vocally supportive of the broader Black Lives Matter movement and I had never even heard that there was such a thing as a "BLM organisation" until I came onto this forum. Much less that such an organisation held anti-christian views. The associations that you and other posters who share the same political opinions as you have on this matter might seem entirely "natural" to you but as several posters have stated they are not "natural" to others. Refusing to specify and simply relying on the "natural" instinct of a certain like-minded group will only have the effect of silencing those outside of that group since they will likely find themselves under frequent accusations for not having the same "natural" repulsion against certain phrases.
This is in fact quite similar to the political correctness we see damaging public life these days. Vague, yet seemingly sensible, rules are put into place forbidding something everyone can agree is bad, but precisely because of their vagueness they can easily be used to accuse any opinion that the majority disagree with. It should not be that simply because I associate something with un-christian beliefs I can call on the mods to get it banned- there should be clearly set out objective criteria that everyone can conform to. I only mentioned trademarks because that is the wording already used in the proposal but even just something like "any slogan used in an official publication by said group" would be much better than a very vague term like "supports". Or even just saying "any reference to the recent protests must be accompanied by a specific disclaimer disavowing support for this specific group".

If there is a specific vision behind this proposal as to what phrases do or do not have "evil associations" (as you have given examples of in this thread) then this should be explicit in the wording of the rule itself so those who do not happen to share your specific knowledge of what does or does not have certain associations do not unintentionally get themselves into trouble with the mods. I should be able to comfortably have a discussion about my views on the wider discussion about systematic racism without having to constantly second guess what associations others might make with my words that I do not. Simply adding clarity on specifically what phrases/opinion/images are intended by this rule count as "support for the BLM organisation" avoids this and allows discussion to continue.

I don't have a problem with demanding disassociation. I am simply saying define what this entails. For example I would not think its problematic or association with evil to say:
"While I certainly disagree with the anti-Christian agendas that the "official" BLM organisation and its affiliates promote, I am pleased that so many people have come out around the world to express their opposition with racism and hope that this movement carries forward into a lasting change against systemic racism in our society, as indeed it already is in some places with regards to law enforcement."
However it is unclear to me whether such a statement would fall foul of the new rule, since while I have disavowed the official organisation I am still supportive of the wider protests which technically they are a part of. If I am simply being paranoid then I apologise, but this is exactly my concern with this kind of vagueness.
I do want to note that the rule is being proposed by a moderator who is also going to propose a similar rule for other communities, so this is by no means that specific to individual posters in this forum, but a similar issue that exists throughout these kinds of forums. This does not however change much about your analysis, that factions are trying to hound their political opponents off the forum. We're seeing it in this thread! I particularly want to highlight the fact that accords with my experience, that the "official organization" in question is mostly irrelevant except to those opposed to it.

• Agree
Reactions: Nick T
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟120,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I just had a look at our current statement of faith. It's fairly short and has references. This BLM statement will almost double it and is based on the opinion of members that a whole movement is identified by one group.
I think this is a major problem.

EDIT: specifically, if half the rules are about the Orthodox faith and half are about not allowing Black Lives Matter, an observer coming in and wondering what the forum is about will see that and think the forum is halfway about Orthodoxy and halfway about right wing culture wars. And with the way some people behave on this forum, are they wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟637,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
..an already-baked proposal that will very obviously (down to even a specific mention of logos and avatars in the proposal) result in the banning of that specific unpopular member was unveiled essentially for rubber stamping by an already willing majority. Forgive me but I feel I'm being asked to exercise extraordinary levels of naivete to accept that its all about generalities and the effect on this member is just happenstance. Particularly considering the vehemence we can see even on this thread that explicitly target this member by name.
But anyway its probably not profitable for me to speculate on motivations any further; I was merely expressing how I feel it looks from an outside perspective..

fwiw, earlier in this discussion I was making the exact same associations. I was informed here (post #73) that it will be introduced elsewhere and is not specific to this forum.
However, subsequent postings would indicate that your suspicions are not entirely unfounded.

Upvote 0

Nick T

Lurker
May 31, 2010
UK
✟15,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do want to note that the rule is being proposed by a moderator who is also going to propose a similar rule for other communities, so this is by no means that specific to individual posters in this forum, but a similar issue that exists throughout these kinds of forums. This does not however change much about your analysis, that factions are trying to hound their political opponents off the forum. We're seeing it in this thread! I particularly want to highlight the fact that accords with my experience, that the "official organization" in question is mostly irrelevant except to those opposed to it.
fwiw, earlier in this discussion I was making the exact same associations. I was informed here (post #73) that it will be introduced elsewhere and is not specific to this forum.
However, subsequent postings would indicate that your suspicions are not entirely unfounded.

Thanks, I must have missed that. I retract the first part of my post then, but stand by the rest.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟740,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This does not however change much about your analysis, that factions are trying to hound their political opponents off the forum. We're seeing it in this thread!

Gzt, I'd like you to know that I appreciate your being here in TAW, and I don't associate you with the Marxist portion of the BLM movement. For starters I recall you had that logo long ago, and at a time when I believe it truly stood for what it originally stood for which is that black life does in fact matter. With that being said I don't always agree with you politically, but I appreciate your perspective because it makes a person think about important, and sometimes polarizing issues. Having a singular polarized perspective presented on everything political all the time isn't healthy in my opinion. This can cultivate cult like behavior which I believe is unhealthy.

On the other hand, and I'm not saying you personally are guilty of this, but I think there is only one perspective when it comes to the Church, and that is the view of Christ through the Holy Scriptures, and confirmed by the Saints through the millennia which is uncompromising. That's where it becomes less political, and enters the realm of the Church, and not much discussion is necessary. There are certain viewpoints that the Church has on issues that we need no discussion for as they've already been answered through the writings of the Saints, and Apostles. My reason for mentioning this then is that I believe that some of the tenets of what BLM stands for today stand contrary to what the Church teaches, and believes. Not all of what BLM believes mind you, but some. Again black life is sacred, and does in fact matter, and always will, or should as far as I'm concerned.

I particularly want to highlight the fact that accords with my experience, that the "official organization" in question is mostly irrelevant except to those opposed to it.

The issue here is that the official organization through their own words stands for certain views beyond black life mattering, and I wish that wasn't the case because then none of this would be a problem. They have taken politically charged issues, and tacked them on to the idea that black life matters. The problem then is that the grass-roots movement then gets associated (by some) with that organization, and there's no way to differentiate between the two. On a political level that's not such an issue, but when it comes to what our bishops affirm as sinful in the connotation of this forum that is potentially a problem.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.