Poll: Is Christianity Based On NT or the Entire Bible?

Which parts of the Bible is Christianity based on?

• The New Testament

• The New and Old Testament

• Other (Please Explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 7, 2010
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was under the impression old testament principles are meant to be shadows of what was to come,new testament ones being the actual substance.We learn a lot from the lives of the people in the old testament living their lives relying on God(as our examples) and those relying on themselves.
Just a thought though.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I marked "other." Christianity is based upon the work of Christ. A person could be a Christian without any knowledge of the Old or New Testament but simply faith in Christ. The Old and New Testaments are all about Christ and a wonderful gift of God so that we can know Christ more fully and understand both the severity of the law and the sweetness of the Gospel.

:):):) Can one be a Christian without being "born again"? Hey, glad to meet you on this thread, just ol' Jack.

Upvote 0

CFAN

Feb 3, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is based on the whole bible.
Jesus said "for I did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill the law". The law he is talking about is Not the 10 commandments, the law is "The law of Moses" the torah - the first 5 books of the bible- Genesis, exodus, leviticus, numbers, deuteronomy. In there contained many prophecies about the coming messiah- Jesus Christ. The "10 commandments" however are also contained in exodus.

Upvote 0

MrPaul1962

Jun 18, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I voted other because Christianity isn't based on a book, but on a Person and an event: that Person is Jesus the God made Man, that event was His Life, Death and Resurrection. The Book(s) certainly bear witness to the Person/event, but is no substitute for the Person/event. The NT itself bears witness that the Person Jesus Christ, while He is now ascended and enthroned in Heaven, continues to live, act and speak through His body on earth the Church. Indeed members of the Church, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, authored the Books of the Bible. So the Church - either the OT church Israel, or the NT church the Israel of God - precedes the Scriptures, co-authored the Scriptures with the Holy Spirit, and by the same Holy Spirit understands the Scriptures.

As St Jerome said: "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." But there are two ways one may be ignorant of Scripture. First, by not having the Scriptures at all. Second, by having the Scriptures but not understanding them correctly. St Peter in one of his Epistles warns of those who "twist" the writings of the Apostle Paul, as they do the "other Scriptures." So even in apostolic times there were those - perhaps many - who had the Scriptures, thought they correctly understood the Scriptures, but in actual fact did not correctly understand them, and therefore did not correctly understand Christ himself but were ignorant of Him.

Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

johenah1633

Transformed, not conformed (Rom 12:2)
Apr 19, 2013
USA
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to ask the same question. The OT is relevant in a couple ways.
1. It helps us understand God (his character, being and will).
2. It gives us insight and reason for why Jesus came and what that means.
3.The OT gives us the history of man in relationship with God (our mistakes, his forgiveness which gives us victory).

There r more reasons but of course the nt is more relevant. Jesus sums up what we r to do with our lives and through his blood makes a new covenant with us. which is extremely vital to our salvation. Also He claims he didnt come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. This covenant, that was made through his blood, implies that the timeless moral laws of the bible are to b kept in this new relationship. However, ceramonial, sacrificial and jewish laws that were for citizens of old judea are no longer meant for us Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was always under the impression it was based on the entire Bible, but I seem to meet a lot of Christians who feel that the OT doesn't apply to them, only the Jews. What say ye?

What an interesting question. From the beginning, God spoke of the enemy, satan's head being crushed by Eve's (and Adam's) lineage. The entire Bible is a tapestry of God's redemption and how that comes to pass. It comes full circle in Jesus the Christ's death, resurrection, and sitting at the right hand of the Father, and His second coming, and all else that is foretold in Revelation. One part of the entire Bible cannot be omitted, for it is a circle of completion. Regardless of what one might hear, reading and studying the entire Bible on one's own is a blessing of an experience, and one misses out on verses such as these:

"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing."
~Zephaniah 3:17

Who would'a thought that this Alpha and Omega, Creator, Almighty God, the One Most High, would "rejoice" over is with "singing"? Yet there it is right there. Or who would'a thought that He comes down on those who "fake" it and bring Him offerings yet they are full of it and He knows it? Like in this verse:

"o what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow." ~Isaiah I:11-17

Ahem, this applies to our modern day churches (us). God is looking on the heart, and He finds it insulting, and "sickening" even with vain words that are said, the prayers that are said but not meant and not even "for" or "to" Him, and yes, the "singing" that don't mean a hill o' beans cuz it's not from a heart that loves or glorifies Him.

Or who would'a thought that God says this about "fasting":

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday: And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not." ~Isaiah 58:6-11

Or this phenomenal verse where God spells out in His inexplicable simplicity what is "required":

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" ~Micah 6:8

In Proverbs (God's book of wisdom) it speaks of seeking wisdom and understanding and the blessing of finding it (this is God "blessing" us with what we seek, just as He did with Solomon, and Jabez)

"My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path. When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:" ~Proverbs 2:1-11

And then there's Psalms, with David as an example of God's grace, forgiveness, restoration, and even God calling David the "apple of His eye". Why did He call David that? It's because of this: David loved God with all his heart, mind, soul, and strength, and even danced before Him with all his might in the sight of everyone. I suspect God, right then, was rejoicing over David with singing.

The Old Testament is a blessing of a study. In it are descriptions of God's heart, and how He carries out His promise to bring forth HIs only begotten Son, for the purposes of reuniting us with Himself, through the sacrifice of His Son, so that once more, we can walk in the cool of the day, with Him in a garden, just as it once was, before the fall.

The entire Bible is a beautifully exquisite tapestry of epic proportions that comes full circle in Revelation.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
:):):) Can one be a Christian without being "born again"? Hey, glad to meet you on this thread, just ol' Jack.

:):):) Yes Christianity is based upon the Bible, all 66 Books, and this is where the eternal issue is. 99.9999% percent of all Christians today believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, or preserved enough to be inspired which results in a pseudo-Christianity along with the one valid Christianity. Once we understand that there is an eternal issue here, in that only the original Autographs were inspired and that all other translations are non-inspired aids, then and only then, may the valid Christianity present itself, purging out the pseudo-Christianity. I mentioned "born again" with Christianity due to all the diverse ways of being "born again," each thinking they have the one valid way. :confused::confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums