Poll For the Singles - In your future marriage . . . .

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say that a healthy marriage is complementary, but also has a definite head of the family. In an ideal situation, I believe the man should be the head of his family; my views on what that looks like have changed and been challenged, recently, but whatever the case, I don't think a husband or wife needs to worry so much about what role they should fill.

As long as both individuals are following Christ, and seeking God individually as well as a couple, they will fill their roles as God intended. It will not be smooth sailing, it will not be easy, and it will not be perfect, but it will be as intended.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
✟7,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since I started the poll, I supposed I should answer - I'm definitely complementarian. I look forward to submitting to and respecting a good man in marriage. But I think that's also part of why I'm still single - I am not a soft-spoken wilting violet type - so I am very picky about the type of guy I could submit to in marriage.

Upvote 0

dmpeace

May 26, 2007
✟17,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since I started the poll, I supposed I should answer - I'm definitely complementarian. I look forward to submitting to and respecting a good man in marriage. But I think that's also part of why I'm still single - I am not a soft-spoken wilting violet type - so I am very picky about the type of guy I could submit to in marriage.

You could start with me.:D

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Totally with Dark Walker and Toro on that one. They remind me of something the pastor of a church I was a member of a long time ago once said of marriage, that husbands and wives shouldn't think of marriage needing to be "equal", as in 50/50. But rather, in each of their own minds when it comes to the other person, it should be giving 100. So, not 50/50, but 100/100. And I think it was one of the wisest things I've ever heard said of love.

This. If you're giving 100 percent you'll end up fulfilling your roles.

Reading the definitions it looks like I have a Egalitarian/Complementarianism view. When I think about it, gender roles don't matter to me so much as both parties taking responsibility for the well being of their spouse (and family).

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Heh, I can relate. I'm not the strongest personality in groups, but I don't exactly roll over for people much less for those I don't respect. It's not often I find a man I fully respect.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bah, I wont worry about roles.

I will instead worry about making her happy and taking care of her as I would hope is what would be her primary concern in our "roles".

Everything else is trivial.

This. Well said, Toro. I like to think that my wife and I will be more concerned with what makes each other happy than whether we stick to or reject arbitrary roles. She and I will define our relationship, not the people who like to argue about this sort of thing. In some ways, it will probably look complementarian, and in other ways it will probably look egalitarian. Whatever works for us.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
✟7,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You could start with me.:D

I could . . . but I don't know you well enough to know if you're that type of guy or not. ;)

The other problem I have finding good guys is that my personal and political beliefs aren't soo conservative that I'm around a lot of guys that subscribe to a complementarian view and still share enough other similar values.

I mean, I'm the theistic evolution believer, the libertarian voter (who thinks it's okay for the State to legalize gay marriage as long as they don't force churches, parachurch organizations or individual Christians to participate in the ceremonies, married gay staff, or to adopt to gay couples), I have a tattoo and want at least one more, and I don't believe that being homosexual is a sin any more than being heterosexual is a sin - it's just the act of intercourse outside of a God-defined marriage between a man and a woman that's the sin (and lust pertaining thereto) . . . . I'm okay with women in ministry and leadership roles - just not as head pastors.

Yet, I keep my hair long, cover my head in church, dress modestly and in mostly dresses and skirts, want to be a stay-at-home mom and submit to my husband as the head of our home.

I'm an odd duck. Fortunately, if anyone can find the right match for all of that - not someone exactly like me, but close enough on core principals - it's God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really the marrying kind but should this unlikely event happen in my life...no roles. Just equality, and partnership in all things.

But, while I'm a feminist, I wouldn't mind the whole "and they lived happily ever after" thing. I guess I want it all.

:)

Upvote 0