Florida
✟7,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was fired from a job (the first time) that I've been at for a little over 3 months. Needless to say, I won't use her as a reference. She hired me knowing I had no urology experience and the woman who was to fully train me refused to and made the job very difficult to handle. My supervisor threatened to fire her, but she barely managed to answer my inquiries when I needed help. Needless to say I became very stressed (heavy sighs), & frustrated. She let me go last Thursday, one month after giving me a stellar review, saying it was too much for me. It was too much because I wasn't trained. I can't use her for a reference because she said she'll say I couldn't handle it. What can I do? I don't want to lie. I've been praying all week and have received no answer from the Lord. Someone called me today for an interview and was asking about the situation. I told her that it wasn't a right fit for me. Then she said that she will call her for a reference. I panicked, and hung up. Please advise me how to deal with the inquiries about that position.

elijahorao

Nov 20, 2005
Australia
✟7,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was fired from a job (the first time) that I've been at for a little over 3 months. Needless to say, I won't use her as a reference. She hired me knowing I had no urology experience and the woman who was to fully train me refused to and made the job very difficult to handle. My supervisor threatened to fire her, but she barely managed to answer my inquiries when I needed help. Needless to say I became very stressed (heavy sighs), & frustrated. She let me go last Thursday, one month after giving me a stellar review, saying it was too much for me. It was too much because I wasn't trained. I can't use her for a reference because she said she'll say I couldn't handle it. What can I do? I don't want to lie. I've been praying all week and have received no answer from the Lord. Someone called me today for an interview and was asking about the situation. I told her that it wasn't a right fit for me. Then she said that she will call her for a reference. I panicked, and hung up. Please advise me how to deal with the inquiries about that position.
Be honest in every interview and be careful not to sound like a complainer or blamer. I see a blessing in this because the person interviewing you will need to be open minded and most especialy someone who can be moved by God. Infact, your past job and an honest explanaition will inspire a gracious person to give you an opportunity, and gracious people are the best to work for. You should not have hung up, but all things work together for good for those who love Our Lord. Trust Him and do not let fear rule over you.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Just remember that employers are not all unreasonable monsters, they understand that sometimes jobs just don't work out, and thhat that doesn't necassarily make you unsuitable a a potential employee.

Be honest (good advice anyway !). From what you have written, you weren't let go because of anything wrong with your character, and I'm sure your former boss will explain this if anyone rings and asks for a reference.

Don't panic or make up stories, because it is far more likely to give any potential employers the impression that you have something to hide, and if they think you have something to hide, that will be a problem.

Good luck in your job hunting.

God bless,

Steve

Upvote 0

MsScarlett

Sep 5, 2007
✟8,868.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On every job application I've come across, it asks for previous employers, then asks if they may call them for a reference. Simply check NO, and then explain in the interview.
Many potential employers will only call the HR department to confirm that you did indeed work there the amount of time you stated.
This will all work out for the best when you're honest. I wish you the best of luck!

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with everyone who posted...you need to remain honest above all things or it will come back to bite you.

If you have other jobs listed on your resume, you really don't even have to list this past one as it didn't last very long, nor did it work out because of what you indicated. If asked in an interview why there is a gap, then you can explain the situation.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well different country, different type of people.

Now as we say, "Honesty is a good policy!"

Now His Word says, "DON'T LIE!"

Ask your past employer for a written reference. Then when they say that they will phone for a reference, you can tell them that you have one, which says, "Blah, blah, blah!"

You can then write a short explanation, why they said so.

May our Lord Jesus Christ be with you on your next interview.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Definitely do not panic. That tends to show that you really can't handle things.

Include the job on your resume.

Depending on questions asked and such you will want to be ready with basically what you have told us. That you did not have urology experience, that the employer knew that but promised training, that the person who was responsible to train you effectively refused to do so not even answering questions from you.

This basically left the employer in a tough position, and the employer threatened to fire the uncooperative employee, but here's the problem. If the employer fired her, she was left with a good employee who still didn't understand urology, so she fired you because that would leave the employer with one who did, and now they can hire another who already does.

If I could, I would try to get a copy of my employee file, particularly the good review. Because that would back up the fact you were a good employee.

Your former employer hired you because they needed another person who understood urology, and while it's not necessarily your fault and certainly not totally yoru fault, they didn't get that, and if they fired the person at fault they were out even that one that understood urology. So they made what looks to me to be a nonpersonal business decision, because they still need another person who understands urology. If they kept you, you couldn't train in a new person. And you and the person already there hadn't been able to work it out, and so off you went. As an employer, there are just some combinations of people which don't work. You could stand there with a stick but that kind of gets old and you have things to do too. So you make a business decision on which to get rid of, and often the next one get along just fine.

Now if you were someone I would kill to hire. I'd hear from you that you were in that tough situation and the person who was supposed to train you didn't so you took it upon yourself to train yourself. Maybe getting books, or taking a course, or something. If I'm interviewing someone and I say do you know Greek? I love to hear, no, but I will before long if you want me to. Because everyone has things they don't know, but the most important thing is both willingness to learn and an unwillingness not to. Other employers would have different things they look for. I remember one fellow (who had a couple of hundred employees) who told me he would find something for anyone who came in and asked for work, but if they asked for a job, he wouldn't hire them even if he needed someone. Those two words might sound the same to you or I but they didn't to him.

In any case, when asked be open with the truth. And assuming it's something that you do know, you would say something like. I didn't know urology and the employer knew it and the person responsible to train me wouldn't. So that's why I'm here because I want to get back to doing something I know how to do. I was a square peg in a round hole and it wasn't comfortable, but my employer still gave me good reviews, just got frustrated that I wasn't trained and wasn't getting trained.

I'm not so sure that I wouldn't still call back the employer and ask them if they actually thought you weren't capable as in just not able to handle it due to personal shortcomings or if they simply meant you didn't have the specific knowledge. Employers can be kind of cautious about saying things because they might think you are gathering information to sue them or something but often if you talk a bit, instead of hearing one thing and getting hurt and just shutting up and walking away, you can get some clarity. It's business, not personal. Don't take it personally.

Marv

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One lousy job.

Contrary to what others have said, I believe in avoiding problems.

If you have a measly 3-month job, then I would NOT list it as a former job.
Put down the jobs that really matter.
NO Application demands that you MUST list every job you've ever had (unless you are going to get a job which requires a Security Clearance).

If you have a couple years of steady employment, that is enough.
Omitting one "temp" job on a Resume (or Application), is NOT lying.
And, if you are actually ASKED if you had any other jobs, you can certainly tell the Truth.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums