Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well Calvinism argues that by a secret and special operation of the Holy Spirit, God’s grace is poured forth upon the elect. Since the extension of this grace is an act of divine power, it cannot be resisted any more than the original creation could have resisted the creative might of the Lord. its called Irresistible Grace

One of the many different types of theological beliefs and there are many.

Who is right and who is wrong, or are they all wrong. I know where I am putting my money.

Upvote 0

Section10

Jun 22, 2011
✟7,774.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are a multitude of faiths and no one gets it entirely right. Every one contains some error. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world. But it's not as bad as it sounds. Where we are along this path of life, is not nearly as important as which direction we are facing.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For as long you do not want God in your life, you will never see him there. That's a guarantee.

Some choose on want, some observe to determine what is most likely to be real.

Big difference between the two, because if one really "wants" to believe in anything, their mind will assure them, that it is real.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One of the many different types of theological beliefs and there are many.

Who is right and who is wrong, or are they all wrong. I know where I am putting my money.

Yes, you put your money on unbelief, yet you put your mouth on this forum trying to convince yourself. Put your money where your mouth is!

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what? It works the other way too, so it doesn't change things.

Sure it does, but what is the great equalizer? Objective evidence to support what you choose to believe. When this is present, believing just because you "want to" or "need to", becomes less common.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If a son says to his family, 'I don't like the way this family conducts itself and I want nothing to do with it. I am leaving and I'm no longer a part of this.' and he disappears to pursue his own destiny and breaks off his relationship with his family.
When it comes time to divide up the inheritance, will he be standing there with his hand out waiting for his share? What will he get? He will get nothing and it will have been because of his choice.
The believer says to God: Thy will be done.
And God says to the unbeliever: Thy will be done.

You seem to conveniently leave out the part of eternal damnation and fire. Not much of a choice, is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I have never given a lot of thought to what happens to atheists at death. Eligibility for heaven is keyed to a sort of fitness for heaven. If you won't reshape yourself to become fit for it, you cannot get there because it is unreachable from where you are at. Even if you did go there, you would not conform, so ultimately it might become just another version of hell for you. Sort of like if you spent your entire life listening to and loving rap music, going to hear a symphony orchestra play classical music could be meaningless for you and most likely an ordeal. If you are not tuned into the song, how would God's justness be served by making you sit through it? And since it appears the only 2 alternatives are heaven or hell, what else is God supposed to do? Annihilation in this case may be a gift of mercy.
He could make a neutral realm. Reincarnation. Lots of possibilities.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
If a son says to his family, 'I don't like the way this family conducts itself and I want nothing to do with it. I am leaving and I'm no longer a part of this.' and he disappears to pursue his own destiny and breaks off his relationship with his family.
When it comes time to divide up the inheritance, will he be standing there with his hand out waiting for his share? What will he get? He will get nothing and it will have been because of his choice.
The believer says to God: Thy will be done.
And God says to the unbeliever: Thy will be done.
Your analogy is incomplete.

Would it be just for the shunned family to hunt the child down and lock him in a room where they torture him?

Because that's what you believe God will do to atheists.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are a multitude of faiths and no one gets it entirely right. Every one contains some error. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world. But it's not as bad as it sounds. Where we are along this path of life, is not nearly as important as which direction we are facing.

Yet, we live in a digital age ... you think god could pick up an iPad and set us straight.

IMO, if your god/s exist, then the onus is on him to make himself relevant and keep us informed. Not really hard for a guy with unlimited terabytes.

Upvote 0

Section10

Jun 22, 2011
✟7,774.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In the parable, Abraham told the rich man that even if someone were to come back from the dead, people still wouldn't believe. Time has sure proved the truth of that one.

When God set this all up, he didn't bother to consult any of us. I'm sure that irks some of you to no end. Yet somehow he managed to get it done without all of your sterling free advice.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When God set this all up, he didn't bother to consult any of us. I'm sure that irks some of you to no end. Yet somehow he managed to get it done without all of your sterling free advice.

Maybe he should have consulted us. It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out he dun' goofed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
In the parable, Abraham told the rich man that even if someone were to come back from the dead, people still wouldn't believe. Time has sure proved the truth of that one.
Has it?

I don't think you'll find a single instance where someone who actually witnessed an undead walking around *denying* it.

Yes, it does.

God, being omniscient and having no competition could manage any scenario done. I'm not sure why earth as it is impresses you so much as it was done by an omniscient deity.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If another religion in another part of the world that was remote, claimed their savior was sacrificed and was resurrected and a bunch of people claimed to have seen the savior after he was crucified alive, would you believe it?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Skavau,
Please don't say any more until I find my little violin so I can play along with you.
I find it amusing that this thread has become the opposite of what so many Christians expect.

The Atheists are arguing from conscience. We're all saying that torture is wrong, that being honest with yourself matters, that it is wrong to punish someone for what they think.

The Christians in this thread are effectively sticking their tongue out and laughing at the prospect that Atheists are going to suffer for eternity.

Does this (from your perspective) role-reversal not bother you at all?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Has it?
I don't think you'll find a single instance where someone who actually witnessed an undead walking around *denying* it.

Sure you can.
Matthew 27:52-53---
52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.