Conway
✟11,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My favorite past time is to play RPG's I own about 25 games. However I am being drawn to talk about my gameplaying. RPG is nothing but a storytelling game. And I'm kind of being pulled in 2 directions. One is Mythology of all kinds. Is it a sin to read on mythology? Is it a sin to read JRR Tolkien? CS Lewis? When I read these things am I guilty? But I think about when Jesus said that if a married person thinks about having sex they are guilty of Adultery. I mean am I guilty of sin if I'm reading about Jesse James?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟567,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not get into RPGs. My kids all did. D&D. I taught my oldest son to program in VB and he wrote dungeon master programs for their play
We had them read stuff by Tolkien and C.S. Lewis when we home schooled them.
This was all 30 years ago, and they are all doing great. Did not harm them in the least.
Sometimes I wonder if coming out so strong against these things, the opponents actually add power to them and make them more attractive to kids.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Galatians 5:19-26, Ephesians 5:1-20, Exodus 20:1-17, and Philippians 4:8 are good places to start. Read, study, and know Scripture, daily (1 John 4:1-6, Rom. 12:2, 1 Thess. 5:16-21, 2 Tim. 3:16-17).

Games I would DEFINITELY avoid are Age of Mythology and Blizzard Entertainment games. They are occultic-based, the former revolving around demon worship to steal, kill, and destroy your enemies (1 Cor. 10:14-22, John 10:10, Ps. 106:34-39).

Addiction can also be an issue, as it's a form of idolatry (Ex. 20:1-3). Moderation is key, and I personally recommend no more than one hour of video gaming a day.

Jesse James was a real person, a historical figure. Never deny history, just learn from it. What's better than learning from your mistakes? Learning from someone else's (Ecc. 1:9, John 8:31-32, Jude 1:5, Prov. 1:1-7, 16:16-25)!

God bless!

On May 12, 2022, at roughly 6:40 PM Eastern Time, I added paragraph four. My apologies, I'm a fallible human being who's predisposed towards selfishness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it a sin to read on mythology?
No. The mythology I read as a Christian made me appreciate Christianity more.
Is it a sin to read JRR Tolkien? CS Lewis?
No, and no. They were Christians, too.
I mean am I guilty of sin if I'm reading about Jesse James?
No.
But I think about when Jesus said that if a married person thinks about having sex they are guilty of Adultery.
If it's someone other than your spouse, yes. But is there any connection between this and reading the aforementioned material?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟738,682.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My favorite past time is to play RPG's I own about 25 games. However I am being drawn to talk about my gameplaying. RPG is nothing but a storytelling game. And I'm kind of being pulled in 2 directions. One is Mythology of all kinds. Is it a sin to read on mythology? Is it a sin to read JRR Tolkien? CS Lewis? When I read these things am I guilty? But I think about when Jesus said that if a married person thinks about having sex they are guilty of Adultery. I mean am I guilty of sin if I'm reading about Jesse James?

I don't believe God is a killjoy. If you enjoy those things he is unlikely to take them off you. Ask yourself would it stress you to give them up.

Ecc 7:16-18 Do not be overly righteous, Nor be overly wise: Why should you destroy yourself? Do not be overly wicked, Nor be foolish: Why should you die before your time? It is good that you grasp this, And also not remove your hand from the other; For he who fears God will escape them all.

There is a type of righteousness that is strict, so strict that it destroys your life not adds to it. God wants us to enjoy our life. He wants us to be balanced in our thinking.

We do have to be careful however with games, and computers that they do not overtake our church-based, spiritual life. Game playing can take a lot of time, we need to ensure we still set aside time to pray for others, and seek God.

Upvote 0

Kenzin

Jan 6, 2021
Conway
✟11,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Galatians 5:19-26, Ephesians 5:1-20, Exodus 20:1-17, and Philippians 4:8 are good places to start. Read, study, and know Scripture, daily (1 John 4:1-6, Rom. 12:2, 1 Thess. 5:16-21, 2 Tim. 3:16-17).

Games I would DEFINITELY avoid are Age of Mythology and Blizzard Entertainment games. They are occultic-based, the former revolving around demon worship to steal, kill, and destroy your enemies (1 Cor. 10:14-22, John 10:10, Ps. 106:34-39).

Addiction can also be an issue, as it's a form of idolatry (Ex. 20:1-3). Moderation is key, and I personally recommend no more than one hour of video gaming a day.

Jesse James was a real person, a historical figure. Never deny history, just learn from it. What's better than learning from your mistakes? Learning from someone else's (Ecc. 1:9, John 8:31-32, Jude 1:5, Prov. 1:1-7, 16:16-25)!

God bless!

On May 12, 2022, at roughly 6:40 PM Eastern Time, I added paragraph four. My apologies, I'm a fallible human being who's predisposed towards selfishness.
So your telling me it's ok to learn from History but not ok to learn through fantasy?

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So your telling me it's ok to learn from History but not ok to learn through fantasy?

History is fact, fantasy is fiction. Fantasy itself isn't evil, but must fall within Biblical guidelines. Magic isn't God-pleasing, it's an act of the flesh. Sex scenes aren't God-pleasing, it's an act of the flesh. That saying, "You are what you eat," also applies to what we feed our minds. Spiritual junk food exists in the form of the entertainment we enjoy. It's hard, I know, but I feel better after ditching shows like South Park and Family Guy.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0