Picking random bible verses after prayer?

Picking bible verses at random caused by God or the devil?

• Total voters

Maxb8070

maxb8070
Aug 14, 2016
Rotterdam
✟15,453.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Bloc
Hi,

I've been picking random bible verses after prayer, and whichever verse my finger lands on, I read whats there got spiritual guidance. Is this a way God could speak to people, or is this something the devil could do...

The reason I have been doing this is because I do get some real answers, and have been doing so again today. Then I read a thread saying that it sounds like it might have similarities with Ouija Boarding, and people saying that thats not how God speaks to people, so now my question:

Is there any scriptural basis to know for sure which side is causing this phenomenom?

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟738,382.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in the bible to people often "Let it be unto you according to your faith....", and "ask anything in my name and I will do it".

I use random bible opening all the time, and it works for me. When we do these things in faith "believing", God, not the devil will answer us.

Below is an example of how I have used it, but i have also used it the same way you have in your post to great result.

On the 10 of October 2012 the LORD prevented us from making a bad financial decision. Me and my wife had found a house that we thought could be a good investment for our future. But our pastor prayed about it and felt that it was not going to be a good investment. So I prayed that if it was not a good investment God would get the bible to open randomly to James 4:13-15, otherwise the bible would open to the verse in Mal 3:10 about God blessing our finances. I opened my bible on the computer and moved my hand quickly and randomly, first selecting a book of the bible, then a verse, all without looking where I was choosing, and it opened to James 4:13-15 so I knew that God did not want us to go ahead. Jas 4:13-15 “Some of you say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to some city. We will stay there a year, do business, and make money." Listen, think about this: You don't know what will happen tomorrow. Your life is like a fog. You can see it for a short time, but then it goes away. So you should say, "If the Lord wants, we will live and do this or that."

Upvote 0

Maxb8070

maxb8070
Aug 14, 2016
Rotterdam
✟15,453.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Bloc
Thanks for the reply! It's a relief to know this.
Here is my story:

I was in the bad habit of smoking marijuana every day, and I remember thinking about something, and while I figured out the answer to my question I just felt the answer leave me. And I prayed to God asking: Oh Lord, why did I forget what I thought of just now? And I opened the bible on a random page with the intention of getting an answer, and my finger landed on a page in the old testament (forgot which one) and it read: Incense. (In my language that word is alot like weedsmoke(wierrook), infact thats the word in the bible that sounds the most like weed in all the bible).

And theres also other things. Like when I sinned once, I asked God: What will happen to me in next life?
My finger landed on: Peace and blessings be yours, brothers! For you think of me with all you do.

Another time I was feeling very distressed, and I remember complaining to God (and thats putting it lightly), and I prayed the same prayer (What will happen to me in next life amen). And my finger landed on things like: Dead and destruction, misery, stuff of that sort.
And then I prayed for forgiveness, cuz I got scared. And then my finger landed on the word doubt, then I said a longer prayer, and my finger landed on: Peace and serenity, forever and ever, that kind of thing.

Excuse me for my bad english btw!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I've been picking random bible verses after prayer, and whichever verse my finger lands on, I read whats there got spiritual guidance. Is this a way God could speak to people, or is this something the devil could do...

The reason I have been doing this is because I do get some real answers, and have been doing so again today. Then I read a thread saying that it sounds like it might have similarities with Ouija Boarding, and people saying that thats not how God speaks to people, so now my question:

Is there any scriptural basis to know for sure which side is causing this phenomenom?

I used to do that, God totally spoke through it. But God can speak through anything, so where there is communication there is a potential for relationship. The better the relationship gets, the less props are necessary.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wont do this, but I will let the lord lead me as to what passages to read.

I will just get a leading to read this or that book. And sometimes this leading is based on knowledge. Like, if I need edification about what the church is, then Ephesians.

Verse pointing can be kind of bad, but it can be good. What I learned is, every verse is profitable in scripture, so if you point to any verse and understand that verse in context, it is beneficial.

Upvote 0