Physics and Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an essay my daughter just wrote as part of her college application. I am posting it here to get some idea how it may be received by liberal arts colleges. She is looking to get into a good college for astrophysics.

Physics and Faith

When asked what I value the most, two words immediately come to mind: science and faith. If my choice of values seems paradoxical, this misconception stems from the popularized idea that science and religion are separated by a rift so wide that it can never be spanned. Throughout my life I have passionately pursued both science and my relationship with God. In my high school years I began to search for ways to unite the two purportedly irreconcilable ways of life. One of my ultimate goals is to become an expert in the field of physics and educate both the scientific community and the rest of the public about Christianity.

I have immersed myself in science since I was a young child. My favorite subjects are biology, astronomy, and physics. A true nature lover, I get excited every time I take a hike and discover a flower or shrub that I have never seen before. It amazes me how each organism in an ecosystem is dependant on every other organism for its survival! While I delight in the snowy mountains, evergreen forests, and tropical reefs of the earth, the rest of the universe holds a special place in my heart. Whenever my mom plops the latest issue of Science News in front of me, I hungrily search for astronomy articles and gobble them up immediately, as a black hole gobbles up surrounding matter. The strange, seemingly inexplicable objects of the solar system, like quasars and gama ray bursts, are what fascinate me the most. Perhaps this is why I have turned to physics in hopes of gaining an understanding of the strange world of quantum mechanics, relativity, and string theory. Just typing those three terms gets me excited! All throughout highschool I have been reading books like Einstein for Dummies in hopes of learning more about all these wonderfully mysterious theories. I am looking forward to participating in research in the field of modern physics during college. Although I value these three subjects immensely, the most important thing I have gleaned from science is the scientific method, in the sense that for whatever hypothesis I hold, I must also have data to back it up. Believe it or not, I have even used science, namely the scientific method, in my Christian walk.

When I became a Christian at the age of three, I had no idea what the future would bring, but I knew that God would be there with me for the whole of it. Although I attended church with my parents throughout my elementary school years, I was eleven years old when I discovered that God wants a loving relationship with me that is real and personal. As I became a stronger Christian, I started to realize that if someone were to ask me why I believe what I do about God and Jesus, I wouldn’t be able to give them a logical answer. Because of my education in the scientific method, I felt the need to base my faith on concrete evidence. So, I hit the books, asking questions like, “Is the Bible reliable? How do I know if Jesus really came back to life? Have the gospels been tested?” It turned out that the stories of Jesus’ disciples have passed countless tests for historical accuracy, and their claims have been corroborated by a myriad of eyewitness accounts. After watching the DVD Jesus: Fact or Fiction? and reading A Case for Christ, by former atheist Lee Strobel, I have reasons for my faith. It is important to me that the scientific community realize that Christians aren’t “unscientific” because they believe in God, but that our faith is based on verifiable facts.

As my faith strengthened, I became increasingly aware of the sharp divide between the Christian worldview and that of a scientist who believes in the Big Bang or the Theory of Evolution. Having grown up in an environment which taught the literal six-day creation of the universe, my faith was pulling me one way, and my desire to be accepted in the scientific community the other way. I was so confused, until I discovered something that set my mind at peace. Galileo once said that the Bible tells men how to get to Heaven, not how the heavens were made. I realized that what I believe about the origin of universe is totally irrelevant to my Christian faith. What matters is that, whether through the Big Bang and evolution or in a six-day period, God was the ultimate causation of the universe coming into being. Now that I have gotten through that conflict, one of my goals is to promote respect and understanding between scientific circles and Christians.

Because I value both science and my faith, it is important to me that the two worldviews coexist harmoniously. The key to respect and understanding between the two camps is found in the scientific method. Because every hypothesis must have data to back it up, people need to know what they believe and why. I once heard an illustration of “typical religious circular reasoning” from a scientist. There were two kids talking to each and one asked, “Why do you believe the Bible?” The other replied, “Because God wrote it.” The first child asked again, “How do you know that God wrote the Bible?” The other exclaimed, “Because it says so in the Bible! Duh!” While humorous, this story exemplifies the way in which Christians are sometimes viewed by the rest of the world. If Christians everywhere knew the reasons behind their beliefs instead of just spitting back dogma, they would get much more respect from the scientific community. At the same time as Christians need to provide evidence for their faith, scientists too should operate on the same principle. Nothing is more frustrating than a professor who, instead of answering the question, spouts out, “It has been proven time and time again by countless experiments,” or even worse, ridicules the questioner. In college and afterward, I plan to work to dispel the myths propagated about “ the unscientific Christians” while promoting mutual respect and understanding between the two groups. I want to teach Christians about science and teach scientists about Christianity.

Eluzai

Oct 29, 2004
✟241.00
Faith
Christian
To be honest... just having finished a physics degree at uni and become a Christian while doing it... I very much disagree with what has been writen above.

"I realized that what I believe about the origin of universe is totally irrelevant to my Christian faith."
- Yikes. Many theological issues come up if you believe in evolution and jsut take in everything the scientific papers say. Most people I know, many non Christians, understand how ambiguous and easy to manipulate scientific data is. To believe evolution whole heartedly (faults and all) makes the fall of man very difficult to explain in my opinion (I haven't heard a good explanation yet).

Physics (especially astronomy) is brilliant for your faith. The more I know about it the harder it is to believe in a billion year old earth. I can recomend:
In Six Days : Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation
and
Creation's Tiny Little Mystery by Robert Gentry

People come to faith through science and how it points to a creator to separate the two is to lose so much from both. Thank God we can read the Bible and know that science agrees with it.

The hardest thing to fake: Nobel prize. Three years ago (maybe 4 now) the Nobel Prize for physics was faked, after it was checked by countless people... how can this happen. These days science is run by FUNDING, no one funds Christian Science where as billions and billions is put into secular science. For instance Arp, one of several people who (in the 70s I think) found evidence that the universe was not expanding was banded from using ALL telescopes in America for his research.

Maybe what I'm just saying is this... please... to close you're mind to all the Creation Science out there is so sad. Creation Science is virtually run without funding it NEEDS young, bright men and women to do real science about the truth (yea that God created the world instead of the cosmic accident theory) not about funding.

"If Christians everywhere knew the reasons behind their beliefs instead of just spitting back dogma, they would get much more respect from the scientific community."
- That maybe is some small part true, but I know and have read countless Christian Scientists who have been fired, sidelined, had their papers destroyed, funding cut, etc... just because of their beilefs. Jesus said: "Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5. Christians are persecuted in science because they believe in Christ. If we aren't being persecuted then maybe we have lost our saltiness. The world will take you down because of Christ. Being a Christian Scientist is hard, but it is brilliant to see God's hand in maths and physics, the stars and the flowers.

Our theories of how the universe was made change all the time and right now, no one realy knows. The way God made it will always stay the same.

Newton, Galileo, Maxwell and Kepler were all physicists and all Christians. Science can really profoundly serve God. It can also be twisted to undermine Him and the the authority of His Word.

I have essays and reading lists and various other things about physics and Christianity please ask if your daughter needs anything. I hope I didn't come accross as harsh, I'm just passionate about God and my subject :)

Upvote 0

United

Jul 18, 2004
Perth, WA
✟15,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eluzai said:
To be honest... just having finished a physics degree at uni and become a Christian while doing it... I very much disagree with what has been writen above.

"I realized that what I believe about the origin of universe is totally irrelevant to my Christian faith."
- Yikes. Many theological issues come up if you believe in evolution and jsut take in everything the scientific papers say. Most people I know, many non Christians, understand how ambiguous and easy to manipulate scientific data is. To believe evolution whole heartedly (faults and all) makes the fall of man very difficult to explain in my opinion (I haven't heard a good explanation yet).

Physics (especially astronomy) is brilliant for your faith. The more I know about it the harder it is to believe in a billion year old earth. I can recomend:
In Six Days : Why Fifty Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation
and
Creation's Tiny Little Mystery by Robert Gentry
Hi There Eluzai,

Welcome to the forum! I can agree with much of what you speak of - particularly the part about physics showing Gods creation. I also studied a science degree (in physics) and engineering degree almost ten years ago. For me the complexity and structure shows clear evidence of a designer. But I don't quite understand your issue with a billion year old universe. Even without looking at the scientific evidence I struggle with a 6k year old earth.

Although most TE's in the forum would disagree, I think there is a place for creation science. Science is driven by hypothesis - and a strict atheistic outlook can limit important discoveries. I just wish the YEC researchers would be more open with non critical (and I feel unnecessary) beliefs such as a 6k year old earth.

Anyway, it's good to have you in the forum. Hope to hear more from you.

Upvote 0

Eluzai

Oct 29, 2004
✟241.00
Faith
Christian
I haven't realy got a problem with the old universe thing... I just can't see a good reason to believe it... the Big Bang fell apart for me when I actually started to look into it, a few good reasons can be found here if you are interested:

redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/V09NO2PDF/V09N2tvf.PDF

I'm not pushing a belief... its just that all science unless you do it yourself... is pretty ambiguous and even then is open to misinterpretation and mistakes and...etc. Science has always been the search for truth... now I've found the truth in the Bible... and what's more important caring about and saving people's souls, or researching something that probably didn't happen, before anyone was alive, in a place no one's been and most likely no one will ever go? Let's put it like this, who can you trust? Only God... so here I am... I read His word, I try to trust Him... Can you tell God has called me to something other than physics? ;)

Reactions: GodSaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Eluzai said:
its just that all science unless you do it yourself... is pretty ambiguous and even then is open to misinterpretation and mistakes and...etc.
Do you do your own clinic trials on drugs you ingest?
Do you perform your own tests on the combustion rate of the fuel in your car?
Do you need to confirm the nuclear fission experiments before paying your electric bill?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.