• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Phobia of Needles and Blood

Hi, I have a phobia of needles and blood, I've been trying a lot of things to try and overcome this phobia or at least minimise it. Such as watching operations on TV, and other cinematrical junk.

Which seemed to be working for a while.

(I even had my wisdom teeth taken out in the chair when my wisdom teeth had to be take out).

However the otherday I was talking to someone about the operation, about the blood etc and then I nearly fainted (kept conciousness but everything else went white).

Even just talking about blood and needles does make me a little uneasy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟212,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't know how old you are.. but if you're an adult.. start routinely donating blood.

It will probably be hard at first.. but continue with it. I used to have a phobia of needles and needles going into the skin. But not anymore.

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
You know you'll probably be suprised at this, but theres also many ex drug addicts who used to inject, who are now terriffied like you of blood and needles. And there isn't an easy answer!

1. Completely turn away if bloods need to be taken.
2. Tell the person/nurse etc your fearful of needles and some are good at relaxing you.
3. Listen to some calming music on the way.

Im-revived
:pray:
Hi, I have a phobia of needles and blood, I've been trying a lot of things to try and overcome this phobia or at least minimise it. Such as watching operations on TV, and other cinematrical junk.

Which seemed to be working for a while.

(I even had my wisdom teeth taken out in the chair when my wisdom teeth had to be take out).

However the otherday I was talking to someone about the operation, about the blood etc and then I nearly fainted (kept conciousness but everything else went white).

Even just talking about blood and needles does make me a little uneasy.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
* Just going to add*

IF you fall into the high risk lifestyle category or have ever had a blood bourne illness and in the UK anyone who has had blood transfusions is exempt from donating. I fit all three categories and live with knowing my blood is considered and extremely hazerdous substance.
No one will thank you if your not honest about it and you could risk infecting others.

Im-revived comments are good.
If you tend to keel over always make sure you are sitting down or if you tend to pass out ask if you could lie down. The nice plebotomists and other medical staff are very good about such things.

Reactions: kopilo
Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟212,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with Im-revived.. if you do donate blood, tell the person drawing the blood that you have a phobia. So they can try to make you as comfortable as possible.

It's a good way to get over a phobia. Face your fear. Watching television programs is a good start. But you're still a good distance from it. :)

I used to have a phobia of needles and needles going into the skin. And I was going to school studying nursing! ^_^ Unfortunately.. I developed a medical condition that caused me to be hospitalized on a number of occasions. And it's pretty routine to have certain bloodwork tests done and iv meds in the hospital. :) It was hard to face those needles at first. But after a short while.. they didn't mean a thing. I didn't even feel them most of the time... and still don't.

Also.. as Vespasia said.. don't donate if you're in a high risk category.

Reactions: kopilo
Upvote 0
Thank you for all your suggestions, I'd first have to have my blood tested to really know how safe it is or not.

I can donate blood, but I'll get my girl friend to come along. Partially for the distraction and partially for the calming quality.

Reactions: Petunia
Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My suggestion is to start doing breathing exercises every day. Breath in through your nose for a count of six, and then blow out slowly through your mouth to a count of six. Do that for 3 minutes, 6 times a day. Notice that you feel more relaxed when you do that. Keep doing that on a regular basis. When a situation comes up that causes your anxiety level to rise, practice your deep breathing exercises and keep your eyes on the light switch or the door knob while you breath. You will be amazed at how you will feel. It takes practice, but I do deep breathing regularly and when I am anxious, I find it really helps me.

Hugs,
Trish

Upvote 0