Petraeus: Burning Koran Puts American Lives 'in Jeopardy'

P

Phinehas2

Art Vandelay,

How if there are hundreds of contrasting voices coming from Christians? How can they all be adherents? Who best represents Christianity? Catholicism? Protestants? Orthodoxy? Or the hundreds of other variations?
Sorry, but I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

Why can't people in Islam have an opinion on whose version of Islam is authentic?
I think they do, for example the feedback I got was that Muslims in Oman don’t like the sort of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia, but I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

You sound surprised that this debate over authenticity would occur in Islam, and yet it's been occurring in your own religion for the better part of two thousand years.
not at all, I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, but I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

But I never claimed such.

I think they do, for example the feedback I got was that Muslims in Oman don’t like the sort of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia, but I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

not at all, I was asking you why you consider one set of Muslim voices to be representative but not the other.

But I don't think that. Each voice is representative of its own brand of Islam. I didn't claim that one was representative and that the other is not. The 9/11 attacks were inspired by Al Qaeda's radical Islamism.

Upvote 0

Museveni

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Feb 28, 2007
Sweden
✟8,845.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Thing is that these sort of things never have to effect the people preforming them think they will have. People like Terry Jones, Gert Wilders and so on are almost eligible for treason charges under aiding and abiding the enemy since they are some of Al'Qaida's and other terrorist organisatiosn biggest recruiters.

Every time they burn a Qu'ran its 1 more guy lining up at the AQ recruitment camp, Every time Wilders opens his ignorant mouth its one more person closing their fists thinking it might be time to shut these people up the hard way. And these are numbers that Al'Qaidas "real" recruiters could never hope to reach. Why bother risk getting caught trying to recruit when all you need to do is run these "useful idiots" anti-muslims speeches over and over and show people in the West protesting against muslims and then just sit back and wait for the people to come to you.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You guys are missing the bigger problem which is the news media if they wouldn't cover this garbage then it wouldn't be getting used against us. Look at Phelps he burnt copies of Koran publicly back in 08 but the news media choose not cover it so no angry mobs, no deaths threats.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You guys are missing the bigger problem which is the news media if they wouldn't cover this garbage then it wouldn't be getting used against us. Look at Phelps he burnt copies of Koran publicly back in 08 but the news media choose not cover it so no angry mobs, no deaths threats.
Yes, more conscious reporting would be nice. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that the news is hooked on sensationalism, which seems to boost viewer numbers, and in turn advertising dollars. That is my impression.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟914,819.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

The news gives us what we ask for. Until we demand better as consumers things will not change.

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟19,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether they do or don't do this book burning really isn't going to change the amount of danger we are in if it isn't this they'll spin or make up something else Americans did or didn't to offend them to justify it to there actions.

I disagree. The book burning would've been a huge deal, and people would've been killed over it. It would've stirred up more violence than the mohammod cartoon.

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You know what every single news editor has been telling their journalists? Get me shots of Muslims going crazy.
I'm so sick of the whole thing, a bunch of morbid people on each side waiting for either the mosque protesters to lynch a Muslim or some Muslims to blow up something American, the media is just feeding off of two extremes

Yeah, that is probably the case. The media isn't content with reporting on news stories they like to fabricate stories and expand the scope of the ones already happening. They can make this BIG and it will make for great ratings.

But it lacks context, this Koran burning is in the context of Sept11 anniversary and the so called ground zero mosque debacle. I'm certain that if the situation were significantly stressed that a mass bible burning would attract international attention.

Possibly. My point was that things of this nature happen here in the US. It's the price we pay for freedom of speech. When people are significantly angry, disgruntled, alienated, etc they get together and burn things that are highly symbolic and loved by other people - flags, holy books, etc.. Muslims are just going to have to live with it. People have to learn how to control themselves and not be provoked by trouble makers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0