✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
I'm agnostic about the whole "Father" issue on facebook names, but I definitely think that monastics should be able to go by what they're known as. Abbot Tryphon is not known as anything other than that, like, anywhere.

Exactly. That's the big difference between Protestant and Orthodox clergy (At least monastics). If the monastics use their legal name, their name won't be recognizable.

Facebook allowed others in the lgbt community to use their stage names...monastics should be given at least the same capability.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. That's the big difference between Protestant and Orthodox clergy (At least monastics). If the monastics use their legal name, their name won't be recognizable.

Facebook allowed others in the lgbt community to use their stage names...monastics should be given at least the same capability.

They're still cracking down on the latter about as much as the case of clergy, actually.

The sentiments in this note from Bishop Tikhon do contribute to my "meh, whatever" feeling about cracking down on "Father" or "Fr" in facebook user names, even from a clericalist-sympathizing angle: HTC: Conventions of writing to a hierarch But, again, I do think forcing Abbot Tryphon to be anything other than Abbot Tryphon - or perhaps just Tryphon and making clear he's an Abbot in some other way - is just not right. I have no idea what his name in the world is, but if it's something like, I don't know, Richard Smith, how on earth would anybody who is interested in connecting with him and knows him as Abbot Tryphon get in contact with him?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When contacted by those who's profiles have been blocked, FB demands that they turn over copies of their passport, driver's licenses, or some other form of government ID before allowing access to their FB profile.

Are you kidding me? And people still insist on being on FB why? I've been telling people and telling people to get rid of their accounts for a long time now. When I'm on the internet- I insist on being whatever name I tell everyone I am- and it is usually never my legal name because I actually like a certain amount of privacy. If it's Little Bunny Foo Foo- then FB should go with it and get over it.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it is really important for Orthodox clergy to be visible and active on Facebook. It can be an almost peerless evangelistic tool.

Facebook needs to be made irrelevant- and the only way for that to happen is for everyone to leave it the way everyone left MySpace. I absolutely can't support a website that does psychological testing without telling people, and turns over personal information that allows other countries to put people in prison for simply 'liking' Christian posts. Why is this particular incident now a surprise to people? For reasons of conscience I can't be a part of it- and I actively encourage everyone else to follow suit.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I respect that position, but I do see an awful lot of good being done through the network being provided, with clergy using it to take Orthodoxy to people who would previously have been unreachable.

:thumbsup:

This is important.

Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have called FB’s corporate line and left a voice message outlining the problem and asking them to open a dialogue with Orthodox clergy about this. I spoke humbly as a layperson who is being affected by their poor decisions here. I did mention in my message that it would be a shame for this to have to hit the press and become a public conversation. To that end if there is not a resolution or contact from them soon, I may take it upon myself to reach out to members of the press in my city (and perhaps at a larger level) to bring some light onto this situation.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
The sentiments in this note from Bishop Tikhon do contribute to my "meh, whatever" feeling about cracking down on "Father" or "Fr" in facebook user names, even from a clericalist-sympathizing angle: HTC: Conventions of writing to a hierarch

I see your point...and kind of wish I hadn't seen the letter! I never quite felt at ease with all the conventions.

But no matter what, he should be allowed to use his monastic name and identify himself somehow as abbot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums