[PERMANENTLY CLOSED] What does the LDS church teach about God's nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Actually, No, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. This thread is about what the LDS church teaches is God's nature. We can't understand his nature if we don't know what he said. What other way do we learn about God if it isn't from what he has told us about him? Therefore, I am explaining what the LDS god has said in order to form an educated opinion of his nature.

Go back and read my initial post regarding the purpose of this thread: "I'd like to see a genuine discussion of Mormon beliefs and practices as defined by Mormons themselves, not its detractors."

Note, I did not ask what God said about His own nature, I specifically asked how Mormons understood it.

Which part of this did you not understand?

Upvote 0

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

When I first began studying the Mormon religion I started talking to the people where I lived. It just so happened that I lived in St. George, Utah (home of the 1st LDS temple west of the Miss. river). And most people then, late 80s, were LDS. They didn't appreciate someone knowing more about their religion than them, sorta like now, so they left me notes on my truck at work- which was the LDS founded IHC Hospital there. Most (8 or 9) were threats. But two of them were death threats. At that time I did not realize how serious those threats were bcuz I had not studied about the threats and overt acts the LDS church had done throughout its history- issuing the Extermination Order against all Americans living around them in 1838 (Rigdon and JS issued that order on- of all days!- July 4th), the attack on the Missouri State's militia (known today as the Missouri State Police) killing one of then (which led to Haun's Mill) and the Mountain Meadows Massacre (which is about 35 miles outside of St. George- I have pics of the place) where the LDS church/Mormons murdered in cold blood over 120 innocent Americans from Arkansas moving to California. After they were shot, stabbed and (literally) hacked to death they were stripped bare naked they were piled in two piles- males and females. All children 8 and under were stolen and sent to live with Mormon families in the area. All but one was rescued. BY made a statement that those innocent human beings, many were little children, were to be left for carrion.

Also, it was the LDS who destroyed a non-LDS printing press,

Illinois Common Law allowed for local governments to silence nuisance presses. However, a misunderstanding of what the law allowed resulted in the press being destroyed instead of confiscated.

That was a violation of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. They arrested JS for treason. Justifiably so bcuz that is what it is called when you do what he ordered, as Mayor, others to do. To silence a press has always been unconstitutional. Can you produce a copy of that law for us to see?

Sure. In 1838 things were getting pretty hot between the LDS and the non-LDS. On July 4 (again, of all days!) the Mormons (Rigdon and JS) wrote a speech that became an us or them declaration of war, the extermination order. Rigdon gave the speech and JS had it copied and sent to the LDS masses. Gov. Boggs did not want this and spent the net 4 months (almost 4) trying to get some civility. When that didn't work he decided he had better get prepared for the war the 'Saints' wanted. So in October of 1838 Missouri Governor Boggs issued an extermination order against the Mormons. The saddest part of all of this is that few LDS are ever told that it was the Mormons who issued the EO first. The church only tells them about others actions, not their own. But now you know the truth of the matter- who did what first. Boggs is now off the hook as the monster the church says he was. He only reacted to the Mormons threats.

Brigham Young offered to use his authority as head of the church to assist the government during the original 1859 investigation.

This was on top of his giving orders that the local militia was to leave everyone alone, an order that sadly arrived several days too late. [/quote

Everyone knows that BY was a tyrant. He ruled with a fist of iron. No one would have done anything w/o BY approval. There are two thoughts on why this 'massacre' of innocent Americans were brutally murdered by the Mormons.
1. They (Baker-Fancher Party) had a net value of about $300,000 worth of stuff. The Mormonds wanted it.
2. Vengeance for the death of LDS apostle Parley Parker Pratt. I am convinced this was the driving cause.

Proof, please. You see, I have already shown you to be less than honest (LDS god lives on Kolob) so I need facts, not mere words. Thanks.

Actually, you didn't. I gave 3 more references to a GLOBE (not Heaven) being the place where the LDS god resides. If it is hinted at it is one thing. But for the Mormon church to keep saying (and printing it) God lives on a 'globe' is another story altogether- and they did. So he does. Remember, Mormon doctrine isn't what you say it is or what I say it is. It is what the Mormon church taught it is, then printed it in their books and published it for the world to see. I gave the quotes and references from LDS sources to back up the globe (Kolob) as his residence. Read them then look them up. Keep me honest.

If it's what I'm thinking of, then the prophecy was conditional upon Joseph Smith being alive to see it happen... something that even Joseph Smith himself doubted would happen.

That isn't what was prophesied. The LDS church taught for 100 years that it was 'going back to Jackson'. There weren't any requisites involved. I can post a dozen or more (maybe 2 dozen) LDS quotes where the church says it. Then they started giving excuses once it was clear they were never going back. The Mormon church doesn't even own the land anymore- there's been two court cases on the land ownership issue, too.

Wasn't it the JS/LDS church who taught that men live on the moon (BY taught they live on the moon and the sun)?

Nope.

What most critics of the church don't understand is that at one point in time, newspapers all over America had fallen for a hoax. The hoax stated that a respected astronomer had found life on the moon, with the description matching what JS supposedly said.

Yep, actually. The newspapers and all of that don't matter. JS taught it as being true and he claimed he was a prophet of God's speaking for God. He never claimed it was a personal or national 'thought' or belief. But he did teach it. BY commented (BY is only one a few) that JS taught it then he went on to say 'people live on the sun'. Where did he get such a notion? From his god, perhaps? Idk. Why would he even say something like that? If you want references, ask. I have to look them up. But I believe they are in the Standard Works, Journal of Discourses (JoD) and BY's 'Discourses of BY' (DBY). They may be in one or two other books as well.

Thus, even if JS made the claim, he could well have been merely repeating what he'd read in the newspaper somewhere.

Making excuses for JS 'teachings' now?

1. Wasn't it the LDS who taught everyone on earth would look at JS as a GOD?
2. Wasn't it the LDS who said Jesus was married "to Mary, Martha and others" and they had children by him yet no one can produce a single child of Jesus?
3. Wasn't it the LDS who taught the original first 12 LDS apostles are still alive and will be until Jesus returns?

1. JoD 5:88- You call us fools; but the day will be, gentlemen and ladies, whether you belong to this Church or not, when you will prize brother JS as the Prophet of the Living God, and look upon him as a God. [Here is another one in that line of thinking (sorry for all the caps but they are in my file and meant as emphasis)- JoD 7:289-

"JS holds the keys of this last dispensation, and is now engaged behind the veil in the great work of the last days. I can tell our beloved brother Christians (sarcasm never fully works, boys. Does show what LDS really think of Christians, though), who have slain the Prophets and butchered and otherwise caused the death of thousands of Latter-day Saints, the priests who have thanked God in their prayers and thanksgiving from the pulpit that we have been plundered, driven, and slain, and the deacons under the pulpit, and their brethen and sisters in their closets, who have thanked God, thinking that the Latter-day Saints were 'wasted away', SOMETHING THAT NO DOUBT WILL MORTIFY THEM-SOMETHING THAT, TO SAY THE LEAST, IS A MATTER OF DEEP REGRET TO THEM-

NAMELY, THAT NO MAN OR WOMAN IN THIS DISPENSATION WILL EVER ENETER INTO THE CELESTIAL KINGDOM OF GOD WITHOUT THE "CONSENT" OF JOSEPH SMITH."

"From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the 'winding-up scene'* of all things, EVERY MAN OR WOMAN "MUST" HAVE THE CERTIFICATE OF JOSEPH SMITH, JUNIOR, AS A "PASSPORT" TO THEIR "ENTRANCE WHERE GOD AND CHRIST ARE- I WITH YOU AND YOU WITH ME. I CANNOT GO THERE WITHOUT HIS "CONSENT".

"He holds the of that kingdom for the last dispensation-THE KEYS TO 'RULE' IN 'THE SPIRIT-WORLD'; ANF HE RULES THERE TRIUMPHANTLY, FOR HE 'GAINED FULL POWER' and a glorious victory over the power of satan while he was yet in the flesh, and was a martyr to his religion and to the name of Christ, which gives him a most perfect victory in the spirit-world."

"HE REIGNS THERE AS SUPREME A BEING IN HIS SPHERE, CAPACITY, AND CALLING, AS GOD DOES IN HEAVEN."

"Many will exclaim- "Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" BUT IT IS TRUE." (JoD 7:289)
And,
“How are you going to get your resurrection? You will get it by the President of resurrection, and that is Joseph Smith, Jun. Hear it all ye ends of the earth; if you ever enter into the kingdom of God it is because Joseph Smith let you go there. This will apply to Jews and Gentiles, to the bond, and the free; to friends and foes; no man or woman in this generation will get a resurrection and be crowned without Joseph Smith saying so. The man who was martyred in Carthage Jail, State of Illinois, holds the keys of life and death to this dispensation…” (Quoted from “The Essential Brigham Young,” Eugene E. Campbell, p. 99, emphasis added).

Because I quoted the entire JoD 9 passage (for context) I will reply to the other two later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Go back and read my initial post regarding the purpose of this thread: "I'd like to see a genuine discussion of Mormon beliefs and practices as defined by Mormons themselves, not its detractors."

Note, I did not ask what God said about His own nature, I specifically asked how Mormons understood it.

Which part of this did you not understand?

You need to be more civil and descriptive in your Thread Subject matter/titles. What the title says is what I'm going by. Your sarcasm and demeaning tone is both unnecessary and a violation of the Forum's rules. Should I report your flaming? Tit for tat, right? What you accuse me of doing to the LDS is exactly what you have done to me. I don't want to argue, I want to discuss. You, it seems, don't. This is why I will not be responding to any more of your posts. Take care.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Then didn't appreciate someone knowing more about their religion than them, sorta like here

You know quite well that isn't the problem. The problem is that you are out to 'expose' the LDS.

That was a violation of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution.

The First Amendment was understood very differently in the 19th. There was the Comstock Act, which prohibited discussions of sex in newspapers, abolitionist literature was banned in the South, etc.

But what does any of this have to do with the purpose of this thread which is to find out from Mormons what they believe about the nature of God?

Once again, you are derailing my thread.

Upvote 0

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Spirit Paradise

This isn't anything new.
Jesus told His disciples/Apostles that He was going back to his Father. He told the thief and murderer on the cross next to Him that "today, you will be with Me in paradise" so they must be one and the same. And, Paul speaks of paradise as seeing/hearing things which can't be uttered (paraphrase). Paradise is only mentioned 3 times in the Bible- by Jesus, Paul and Peter.

And how does this equate to Kolob being the planet where God lives?

If God doesn't live in Heaven then he must live somewhere and this says it is on a 'globe'. Kolob is a globe so ... deductive reasoning/common sense. We know, for a fact now, that the LDS god resides on a globe, not in Heaven. Since Kolob is the greatest of all globe's then he must live there. Why would God live on an inferior globe when he has the greatest globe, Kolob?

You've got a misplaced or missing quote tag here, and so your statement didn't come out properly.

Thanks. I'll find it and quote both of us.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to argue, I want to discuss. You, it seems, don't. This is why I will not be responding to any more of your posts. Take care.

What I want is for you to stop derailing my thread and I will be reporting every single post which does that.

Upvote 0

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are no "differing agencies".

Yes, there is. Call them agencies, divisions, dept, whatever if they print something for the church it is by the church- The church, Presiding Bishopric, Genealogical Society of the LDS church, Sunday School Board, etc., etc. These are all units in/of the LDS church that prints LDS beliefs. For example, no one would ever question the original 'Book of Commandments' as God's words to the LDS church. But there is no record, that I've found, of it ever being 'accepted' by all LDS. When was the BoC ratified by the members? Or, of it being printed by 'the Church of JC of LDS'. It was published by W.W. Phelps. But everyone knows it is- was- God's word to his church. And, no one would question the validity or truth of the book, 'Teachings of the Prophet JS' but the church didn't authorize it 'in it'. So, are you really saying the LDS church would publish, through its own book publishing Co., books that speak of LDS doctrines that aren't LDS doctrines just for the money they were paid? Sounds like it. How awful! Compromising beliefs for money. You see, private companies, like the LDS owned Bookcraft and Deseret Book, or like W.W. Phelps do not have to print what they don't want to or agree with. We have a conundrum.

If it's not through the church or through Intellectual Reserve, then it's not officially-sanctioned.

Period.

Yes, you are right... but only in modern times. There is no record of numerous LDS doctrines being accepted by the members. God is a man' is a very major doctrine to the LDS yet no where is it recorded as being universally accepted. You are stating a point that hasn't always been true. Polygamy is another. How many of Mormonism's major and sacred doctrines were never ratified by the whole church? Do you know? Can you show when they were? What these 'major' LDS doctrines-
The Church organization
Melchizedek Priesthood
Aaronic Priesthood
Plurality of Gods
God is an exalted man
Men may become Gods
The 3 Degrees of Glory
Plurality of wives (Polygamy)
Our 'Pre-existence'
Eternal Progression
What the Church does today was not always the way JS & Co. did things. You believe doctrines that were never accepted by all.

That's at least five works which aren't official but which you falsely said were.

This is why we're having trouble taking you seriously.

It's a problem for me, too. See above about 'publishing'. I have never been able to understand how God's words are considered not God's words until a bunch of sinners (people) say they are. Why not just leave God out of the whole process? God's laws and commandments were never dependent on what the Jewish people thought or said. When we do that kind of thing we get into what Paul spoke about when he spoke about 'itching ears'. And we have far too much of that already in our fallen world.
God is God and His word is never concerned with what we, humans, think bcuz our hearts, God says, is deceitful and wicked above all things. And our desires are not always what God tells us they should be. So be careful when approving or disapproving of what God has said. Also, I know of only one time when someone didn't 'sustain' someone/some doctrine in the LDS church. The church, who was his boss, fired him. Uh-huh, there are good reasons why 'everyone' 'always' votes in the affirmative. And since God is both ALL-wise and All-powerful why would we think we could do better than Him at doctrines? This is one reason why the Bible has never been changed and most all the other books of religion have. I have numerous BoM. I had about 20 at one time but then let some go (wish I hadn't). But in just three of them (1830-reprint by the LDS Church, 1920 & 1980) I have found some serious 'editing' issues. But didn't JS teach the BoM was the most correct book on earth? (HoC 4:460, TPJS 194). If it 'was' correct why did it need to be changed (God said he never changes or varies, either- Mormon 9:9, Moroni 8:18, Al. 41:8*, Mos. 2:22, etc). See, this is what happens when God's word is left to men/people deciding what is and isn't 'God's Holy word'. With all of the changes taking place is the LDS god really all-knowing and all-powerful?All-knowing Gods don't change, ever, right- cuz they already know everything? That would be a contradiction in terminology and it would mean, if he did change or his words were, that he isn't God at all.

I'm gonna need some details on this one.

Gave them just a few minutes earlier- twice, I think.

Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON