Peppermint oil for spiders - has anyone actually tried this?

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing about this and I am extremely skeptical...

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe she is.

That said I know we were told to use peppermint round the same areas where ants come in. It worked for about a day. We just bought ant traps instead and placed them inside and outside by their entrances to their tunnels. Problem solved. As for spiders. I hate even having to reach to squash them. I just use a vacuum. We also fill in any cracks or holes in our inside walls so nothing gets through. Heres a good article:
http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Spiders-Away

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find lighter fluid and a match effective.
Yeah - I saw the video of a guy who tried that at a gas station. He set the pump on fire .....

Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What kind of spider?

Spiders can be beneficial if you have a problem with other bugs in your house. That's often why a spider will find their way to your property. But also, if it is out of doors, would that outdoor spider still be a problem?

Yes, peppermint oil works well.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spiders can be beneficial if you have a problem with other bugs in your house. That's often why a spider will find their way to your property.
Some have a deadly dread of spiders of any kind. My cousin is like that. He once emptied an ENTIRE can of Raid on one wolf spider that took up residence in our tent. It took months to get the smell out.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some have a deadly dread of spiders of any kind. My cousin is like that. He once emptied an ENTIRE can of Raid on one wolf spider that took up residence in our tent. It took months to get the smell out.
But it killed the spider, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Vinegar is also useful. This link may help as well. :) I happen to like spiders. I've never killed one but I do collect them and free them if they happen to get in the house.

Raised one who ended up having quite a few babies near my apartment back when I was single. Turns out about a decade or so later I found out they were highly venomous, even lethal. But she liked me well enough. Maybe it was just her way of reciprocating the energy I put out when I wasn't afraid of her even as huge as she was and that alone may have scared others. I fed her fat tasty bugs in her web so she could sustain her pregnancy and her little one's. We were friends for many seasons , she and every set of babies, and then one day she went up the palm tree she had lived on and I never saw her again.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We don't usually get spiders but they do come in during fall when it gets cold. I would like to discourage them coming in because coming in means they might potentially bite my kids and I'm not cool with that possibility so they have to die. I am also allergic to spider bites. If they stay outside, whatever, but when you enter my territory you're on a suicide mission.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Why do that when you could just run over the tent repeatedly with your car? ;)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do that when you could just run over the tent repeatedly with your car?
We were well off the road and the tent had already been run over by a cattle stampede a few days earlier.

But that is another story for another thread ......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums