United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does the OP of a Peanut Gallery thread have the option to ask contentious, stalking posters to leave the thread?

And if asked, must they then respectfully leave?

Some persons can be so successful at disrupting a thread that the only option for most of us often then becomes that we leave the thread. Though I suspect that may be one of their motives behind the stalking behavior, I just don't see it as being fair that the rest of us, along with the OP, be expected to tolerate it while the discussion in the PG is completely ruined.

I understand what you are saying, but no, they cannot ask them to leave.:sorry:
Such a rule opens doors to all types of things that may get too personal and even bias.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Again, I don't want people banned I would like more moderation. But some OPs may want all that... so I would like to know if we could have a rule that only on the teaching threads.... could the teacher ask that people who continuously disrupt stop commenting? Not people who are in the middle of an intelligent discussion but the one line guys who come in 3-4 posts in a row and don't say anything but nonsense.
That is for the moderators to decide. :sorry:

Please PM me when something like that happens - let me look at it.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember the day of forum ban. And personally, I felt it worked well to help to keep troublesome posters 'in line'.

Some persons online do appear unable to 'self-regulate' their behavior; for some persons this can be a genuine personal problem. In those extreme cases, I do think rules help.

But it appears it is rare these days, if ever, that posters are banned from the site. Too bad, if that 'scare' threat is no longer there. It did seem that posters in the past responded well to the threat of being banned.

So what is an OP to do, when a person continues to come into a PB thread to insult and post innuendoes against the OP? Does the OP just continue to pester the Moderators with reports regarding the disruptive poster?

And do persons no longer get banned from CF for continually being disruptive and resisting correction from the Moderator staff?

I'm sorry to have to ask these difficult questions, but if the Peanut Gallery threads are to work productively ... and be an enjoyable experience for the majority ... I do think it important that we fully understand the ground rules.

Thanks.

Oh, we do have some very effective tools and procedures for that.
Short term bans, MSC bans ...
We would apply them if there is need.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,
To the moderator please. The gentleman starts a thread with a controversial aspect in it. You yourself commented that i , or others were out of line. I don't understand how you came to such a conclusion? This stalking term that a few toss around is distasteful at best. You I believe understand the stigma of such a term. These same folks have lambasted others here without impunity. They do it in a spiritual prideful way.

Any ways how can you disagree without causing these folks to pout. If you bring controversial subjects it goes with the territory.

1. I started a thread months ago, these complainers tried to butcher me.

2. I been accused of being a " sock"

3. Or spiritual ignored by a prideful few.

Grace to you.
Thank you for you post.

I do not know the particulars about you, so I would respond in general terms. :sorry:

Minorities are being protected here.
If we do not do that, cliques develop.
Some confuse having cliques with having peace.
It is not so.

Cliques get entrenched and then the only way to manage them is to separate them into different forums ... through constant arguing they develop leaders, others leave and it becomes a toxic forum where a small handful of posters argue the same topics over and over again.

When there is clique there is no peace.

Cliques is when posters unite in hatred towards others and not love towards each other.

Minorities are being protected ... IF they follow rules of course. ^_^:)

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who's going to clean up the peanut shells?

We've already had one peanut gallery closed down (true at the OP's request) it was going good too, but in the wrong direction.

How do you gently nudge someone into starting their own teaching thread on the same subject ... wait a minute isn't that what you call debate, yet it would be point/counter point?

Now I am confused ... help us out here ed

geetrue
You guys are SO active ... I left the thread overnight and there are SO many news and events. :)

Let me see what you mean.

Ed

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are good questions here... but, let's not be personal... the rules will be designed for all posts, all posters... not just this one situation. Please, give us the rules... Let's relax and wait.. I imagine this is not an easy job...

I wanted to test the 'peanut gallery' idea... it seems it is not just 'peanuts' that were thrown... let's see how or if it can be made a bit or a lot more civil.
OK.
I'm back and answered many of the questions. :)

Let's keep on working on it.

Reopening this thread ... :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK.
I'm back and answered many of the questions. :)

Let's keep on working on it.

Reopening this thread ... :)

Edial,

Has any thought ever been given to separating the current SF/Charismatic forum into different 'age' groups?

I hope we can get the current issues solved regarding the Peanut Gallery threads, but if the disruptive behavior continues ... in the PG threads and elsewhere in the forum ... I do think much conflict would be avoided if the forum was separated into (2) age groups:

SF/Charismatic Forum (Under 50)
SF/Charismatic Forum (50 and over)

Here in this forum we have persons of all ages, all generations. While I very much enjoy the diversity, I do regularly see instances where the difference in age appears responsible for the conflict.

Though we all profess to be following the same Lord, generations do not all 'think' alike. Nor do we all act 'alike'. Nor do we all 'like' the same things. Differences can be great.

Example: My generation (Baby Boomer) tends to see many things differently than those of the Millennial Generation. And vice versa.

I personally try to set aside the differences and see all persons as equals, but sometimes that approach just doesn't seem to work mutually here.

It happens quite frequently here, that someone of the younger generation will attempt to 'call out' or 'correct' someone of the older generation.

And when I see a young person 'scolding' an older member, it honestly makes me cringe. (And I do wonder, "Do they behave this way offline, too?")

While it personally doesn't 'sit right' with me when persons of the younger generation post to publicly 'correct' elder members, the Bible also does tell us to do it another way:

"Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity." (1 Timothy 5:1-2)

Some here do seem to want 'to exhort', and often, but some of those same persons also don't seem able to follow that command.

Were we to split the forum into (2) age groups, I think we would all see much less of this disruptive kind of behavior ... both in the PB threads, and elsewhere.

If a split was done, I do think members should be free to visit each other's forums, and even to comment, but behaving as 'respectful' visitors of one another's forums.

And with specific regards to the PG threads, it might be wise not to allow forum members of one forum to post in the PG threads of the other forum.

In offline life, I suspect many of us here would have little to do with each other due to our differences in age, but here online it is different. Still, we are 'real' people here, too.

lol. Having said all that, there are no doubt some reading here that will probably want to label me as 'old school', or worse yet ... 'old wine' or full of 'hogwash' (and they have!) ... but I only offer the suggestion, radical though it may be, to further help in resolving some of the ongoing issues in this forum.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Edial,

Has any thought ever been given to separating the current SF/Charismatic forum into different 'age' groups?

I hope we can get the current issues solved regarding the Peanut Gallery threads, but if the disruptive behavior continues ... in the PG threads and elsewhere in the forum ... I do think much conflict would be avoided if the forum was separated into (2) age groups:

SF/Charismatic Forum (Under 50)
SF/Charismatic Forum (50 and over)

Here in this forum we have persons of all ages, all generations. While I very much enjoy the diversity, I do regularly see instances where the difference in age appears responsible for the conflict.

Though we all profess to be following the same Lord, generations do not all 'think' alike. Nor do we all act 'alike'. Nor do we all 'like' the same things. Differences can be great.

Example: My generation (Baby Boomer) tends to see many things differently than those of the Millennial Generation. And vice versa.

I personally try to set aside the differences and see all persons as equals, but sometimes that approach just doesn't seem to work mutually here.

It happens quite frequently here, that someone of the younger generation will attempt to 'call out' or 'correct' someone of the older generation.

And when I see a young person 'scolding' an older member, it honestly makes me cringe. (And I do wonder, "Do they behave this way offline, too?")

While it personally doesn't 'sit right' with me when persons of the younger generation post to publicly 'correct' elder members, the Bible also does tell us to do it another way:

"Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity." (1 Timothy 5:1-2)

Some here do seem to want 'to exhort', and often, but some of those same persons also don't seem able to follow that command.

Were we to split the forum into (2) age groups, I think we would all see much less of this disruptive kind of behavior ... both in the PB threads, and elsewhere.

If a split was done, I do think members should be free to visit each other's forums, and even to comment, but behaving as 'respectful' visitors of one another's forums.

And with specific regards to the PG threads, it might be wise not to allow forum members of one forum to post in the PG threads of the other forum.

In offline life, I suspect many of us here would have little to do with each other due to our differences in age, but here online it is different. Still, we are 'real' people here, too.

lol. Having said all that, there are no doubt some reading here that will probably want to label me as 'old school', or worse yet ... 'old wine' or full of 'hogwash' (and they have!) ... but I only offer the suggestion, radical though it may be, to further help in resolving some of the ongoing issues in this forum.

It is a radical suggestion and I completely agree with you that younger generation lost track of what is respect for the elders.

I do not think however we would be separating the forum based on this criteria.

However, I would not mind seeing some of the posts you believe are disrespectful to the older folks.
Privately, PMs please.
Maybe there are other solutions as well. :wave:

Ed

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what about if someone starts a teaching thread and does not start a corresponding PG thread? are we allowed to open one for them?

Also would like to ask if calling others ignoramuses and stalkers is the type of example the younger generations should follow since that stuff is getting thrown around here as examples of the younger generations being rude

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what about if someone starts a teaching thread and does not start a corresponding PG thread? are we allowed to open one for them?
You are allowed to open a thread, but not a Peanut Gallery thread.
It is the same thing, but a different tag 'Discussion'.

Also would like to ask if calling others ignoramuses and stalkers is the type of example the younger generations should follow since that stuff is getting thrown around here as examples of the younger generations being rude
Got it. :)

I would need examples of both sides of the fence and then I am certain there are solutions to this.
But this needs to be done via PMs.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are allowed to open a thread, but not a Peanut Gallery thread.
It is the same thing, but a different tag 'Discussion'.

Ok, so not a PG thread specifically, but we can open a new thread discussing the teaching if we want... am I correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is a radical suggestion and I completely agree with you that younger generation lost track of what is respect for the elders.

I do not think however we would be separating the forum based on this criteria.

However, I would not mind seeing some of the posts you believe are disrespectful to the older folks.
Privately, PMs please.
Maybe there are other solutions as well. :wave:

Ed

Should the problem continue, I will think to contact you.

There are no doubt lots of reasons for the overall lack of respect we can so easily see happening in our society today. However, the written Word of God is timeless, and we do read much in it about how we are to treat one another. And I see no ‘exclusion clause’ added, that says the truths written in the Bible don’t apply to message board conduct, too.

God is everywhere. God sees all things, hears all things, knows all things. We aren't 'hidden' from God when we come online.

Both online and off, I do try to remain mindful of those things.

Thanks, Ed.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

There are no doubt lots of reasons for the overall lack of respect we can so easily see happening in our society today. However, the written Word of God is timeless, and we do read much in it about how we are to treat one another. And I see no ‘exclusion clause’ added, that says the truths written in the Bible don’t apply to message board conduct, too.

God is everywhere. God sees all things, hears all things, knows all things. We aren't 'hidden' from God when we come online.

Thanks, Ed.

Seems to me like this would bring back the idea of one or two people acting as the morality police on the forums again. I hope we are not taking a step back. If anyone would do this, I would not want the lovely sister offering her services, it should be someone neutral.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks, Ed.

Seems to me like this would bring back the idea of one or two people acting as the morality police on the forums again. I hope we are not taking a step back. If anyone would do this, I would not want the lovely sister offering her services, it should be someone neutral.

Thanks.

I'm growing very weary of your following me around the forum and publicly responding negatively to my posts and in my threads.

I ask, please, that you stop harassing me.
Please, put me on IGNORE.

If you have a personal problem with me, I ask that you please go to the Member Services Center, or direct to a Moderator, to express your concerns.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would repeat to you, OBG, what I've said to ToBeBlessed:

Please stop with the public flaming.

If you don't like my posts, find me to be offensive, etc., please report me and put me on IGNORE.

If you have a personal problem with me, please go to the Member Services Center, or direct to a Moderator, to express your concerns.

Upvote 0