BelieverX

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
✟7,776.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I've always been fascinated by mobile computing, but for me laptops were just too large and took too long to boot. I wanted something that would give me near instant access to my data, and be sync compatible to my desktop machine. So in 1999 I purchased my first PDA, a Palm 3x. After that first encounter my love for PDAs grew into an obssesion. Between 1999 and 2007, I owned 6 PDAs. [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Palm 3x[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]HP Jornada 720[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Psion Revo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sony Clie[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]HP iPaq 2210[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Palm Treo 500v [/FONT]
Now tablets are here and that old PDA itch has resurfaced. I mean a tablet is just an over sized PDA of yesteryear right? This time I haven't given in to my primitive urges to purchase the first gadget to cross my eager fingers. I'm still waiting...patiently. Yes this time I know exactly what I want. I saw a glimpse of it when tablets showed up with the desktop version of Windows 7 on it. The only problem was that they were too expensive and too power hungry to be of any use. With the revelation that Microsoft is releasing their new Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro installed, I can feel my long wait coming to an end. At last a machine that will allow me to use all my favorite programs, and more importantly it will sync perfectly with my beloved OneNote.

Crossing my fingers.

cutekittycat

broken doll
Jun 27, 2012
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i still have a liking to PDAs. i guess it is sort of a nostalgia thing.
i think i still have a old PDA lying around somewhere in my old junks. the battery probably does not last for more than 5 minutes.
i also remember back in the days of electronic organizer. those things have probably everything i need calenders (to year 3001 or something), todo lists, outlines, contact lists, etc. (even mini-games), with only like 256kb memory!! B&W too!!
those things probably are as useful as the big fancy tablet we have now with equal - perhaps more - practicality and functionality.
personally, i do not really like the whole fancy, coloured, bells-and-whistles that newer tablets offered, though, i am sure that it has its powers and usability where it draws the crowd. guess it is just not for me.

heck, sometimes i even go for the good ol' hand-written planners (nya : P ptttth)

*goes to look for my old PDA*

Upvote 0

BelieverX

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
✟7,776.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've decided not to buy a Windows tablet. After some research and shopping around, I finally decided on the Blackberry Playbook. I found one on Amazon for 169 Euros new. Specs below.

Display: 7" 1024x600
CPU: 1GHz dual core Cortex-A9
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 32GB, can be extended another 32GB with SD card
Camera: 3MP HD front, 5MP HD (2592x1944) back
GPS
WLAN
Blackberry encryption/security system

New Blackberry OS 2.0 allows the user to install Android apps through the Blackberry site. I also found an app that allows me to use my OneNote notebooks on the Playbook.

This tablet is perfect for what I want to do, and I couldn't find a better price for a tablet with those specs anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0