Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..and answers to a primarily Republican FCC.

And, just like the main networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN) the companies parent companies are owned by conservative Republicans who made large donations to... guess whom? The Republican Party for the President's re-election.

PBS' coverage (especially recently) reflects Administration views towards the War in Iraq, the economy, and Social Security deform.

So, I would imagine that, to the Republicans who are in charge of PBS (and the other networks), that PBS probably isn't biased.

If I want to listen to the latest releases from the United States Department of Propaganda, I can listen to our national media. If I want the news, I can read the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, or read non-U.S. sources.

Reactions: k
Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yitzchak said:
Everyone is biased to some degree. I guess the real question is are they unusually biased. I expect every channel that I watch to reflect some biased though.
Agreed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucid42day

where do I go when the land touches sea
Apr 1, 2004
We'll stumble through the APT.
✟9,766.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
Why does anyone believe PBS is biased to the point they actively engage in deception?
When I was younger I once pulled a chair out from under someone who was just sitting down. It was pretty funny. The rest of the day though, I kept an eye on each chair I tried to sit in.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:
Even if that is 100% accurate, does it mean PBS is Fox-like biased?

It is correct. Democrats in Congress created CPB in 1967 to fund PBS. Ford Foundation liberals were the driving force behind it. Nixon and Republicans tried to ban government from funding "news" and so-called "documentary" broadcasts (they wanted PBS to stick with education, the arts and culture). Liberals in Congress needed (another) media outlet to push their views so we got stuck with Bill Moyers and PBS.

So no, it is not "Fox-like" bias. Nor CBS, NBC, ABC or New York Times-like bias. Those are in the American tradition. PBS taxpayer funded "news" shows created by politicians to sell their agenda are not.

Some background on PBS' greatest star:

Press Release: Christian Author to Moyers: Renounce Campbell or Christ

"Since 1988 when PBS first aired the six-part series Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth, Moyers, an ordained Baptist minister and professing Christian, has ardently promoted the atheistic writing and thinking of the Scripture-bashing Campbell," Mr. Johnson said . . .

Johnson points out that during the PBS presentation, Campbell referred to the resurrection of Christ as "a clown act, really."

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Annapolis, MD. March 2. In an open letter to Bill Moyers sent today, author Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr. has called upon the PBS icon to cease promoting the work of atheist mythologist Joseph Campbell or renounce Christ, one or the othe (emph. added)

You mean the same Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr. who wrote this article?
http://www.world-mysteries.com/gw_rbjohnson.htm
from article said:
Athena and Eve

by Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr.

Ancient Greek religion, what we call mythology, tells the same story as the Book of Genesis, except that the serpent is the enlightener of mankind rather than our deceiver. Athena represents Eve—the reborn serpent’s Eve in the new Greek age. She and the Parthenon and the entire ancient Greek religious system celebrate the rejuvenation and re-establishment of the way of Kain (Cain) after the Flood. Though on one hand Greek idolatry violates the teaching of the Word of God, on the other, if properly understood, it reinforces the truth of the Scriptures.

The first couple

There is no Creator-God in the Greek religious system. The ancient Greek religious system is about getting away from the God of Genesis, and exalting man as the measure of all things. You may think to yourself that the Greeks are exalting gods, not man; but haven’t you ever wondered why the Greek gods looked exactly like humans? The answer is the obvious one: for the most part, the gods represented the Greeks’ (and our) human ancestors. Greek religion was thus a sophisticated form of ancestor worship. You have no doubt heard of the supposedly great philosopher, Sokrates. In Plato’s Euthydemus, he referred to Zeus, Athena, and Apollo as his ‘gods’ and his ‘lords and ancestors’.1 Greek stories about their origins are varied and sometimes contradictory until their poets and artists settle upon Zeus and Hera as the couple from whom the other Olympian gods and mortal men are descended. This brother/sister and husband/wife pair, the king and queen of the gods, are a match for the Adam and Eve of Genesis. Figure 2 is Hans Holbein’s Adam and Eve. This couple is the beginning of the family of man, and the origin of the family of the Greek gods, Zeus and Hera. Figure 3 shows us Zeus and his wife Hera, sculpted on the east frieze of the Parthenon, c. 438 BC. With no Creator-God in the Greek religious system, the first couple advances to the forefront
:scratch:
tulc(just wondering) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Voegelin said:
Nixon and Republicans tried to ban government from funding "news"

WOAH! Stop the ride! Isn't secretly funding journalists to support his policies one of the things Bush has been getting slammed lately?

And Nixon tried to ban the government from doing so?

So...Nixon has higher ethical standards than Bush?

Mommy! :sigh:

Reactions: starchild
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Illuminatus said:
WOAH! Stop the ride! Isn't secretly funding journalists to support his policies one of the things Bush has been getting slammed lately? :

Nothing secret about that funding. Came out of agency budgets.

I did find the alarm by the left most amusing. PBS and NPR have sopped up tens if not hundreds of millions over the decades. A few journalists are hired to promote administration policies and our Republic is in danger.

Remember Vic Kamber? When Clinton was impeached, he was on one TV show after the next fighting a conviction in the Senate and attacking all the women who accussed Clinton of abuse.

Vic owns the Kamber Group. Under Clinton, it became one of the top ten PR firms in the country. Millions in contracts from government agencies.

Nothing wrong there!

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Voegelin said:
I did find the alarm by the left most amusing. PBS and NPR have sopped up tens if not hundreds of millions over the decades. A few journalists are hired to promote administration policies and our Republic is in danger.

You assume I'm a "leftist". However, PBS also shows Sesame Street, so it can't be that bad. ;)

Vic owns the Kamber Group. Under Clinton, it became one of the top ten PR firms in the country. Millions in contracts from government agencies.

Nothing wrong there!

What, you think that I'm saying that corruption is new to Bush's administration? Of course not! There hasn't been a single non-corrupt administration of the US in the past hundred years. I won't even say that it's unique to the US, that'd be foolish. I'm a Canadian, and our politicians are just as corrupt as your politicians. However, Bush's covert buyout of journalists is an attempt to subvert the free press, and that's a very, very dangerous thing.

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Illuminatus said:
You assume I'm a "leftist". However, PBS also shows Sesame Street, so it can't be that bad. ;)

What, you think that I'm saying that corruption is new to Bush's administration? Of course not! There hasn't been a single non-corrupt administration of the US in the past hundred years. I won't even say that it's unique to the US, that'd be foolish. I'm a Canadian, and our politicians are just as corrupt as your politicians. However, Bush's covert buyout of journalists is an attempt to subvert the free press, and that's a very, very dangerous thing.
Cheers to the CBC. Candian tax dollars at work! PBS is biased. Here is my beef with PBS:

Hi my name is Smiley Whitbeck. We can't show you great programming like Life Through the Eyes of a Cat or Corruption or Consumption: Bush and Rumsfeld's Secret Plot To Nationalize Haliburton. Thanks to you suckers...I mean viewers we can continue to bring you the programs your family watches like Sesame Street. Order now and for a pledge of $100 we will give you a DVD of Peter, Paul, and Mary: Puff the Heroin Addict Dragon. Remember we can't do it without you the suc...viewer. Now back to Tavis Smiley: Where the Hell Did I Get My Name?:sleep: :sleep:

Upvote 0