Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
yes

I would start with the Courage to be. I think that is his best book

Then I'd go onto some of his others like the Shaking of the Foundations and Dynamics of Faith

Then do his three volume Systematic Theology

and save his History of Christian Thought for last

Paul Tillich is wonderful & is the reason for how I see a lot of things. Enjoy

Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
"An apple painted by Cezanne can have more religious significance than a Jesus painted by one of the beautifiers of the 19th century."
-Paul Tillich

That's the only quote I remember from him...one of my professors in college was a huge Tillich fan, and he stuck quotes by him everywhere he thought he could get away with it!

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
thank you paxigoth for the recommendations. i just put "Courage to Be" on order and should get it by either the end of this week or next week.

thank you kidsminister for the quote. that's an interesting quote to say the least :)

thank you diane, for i'm looking at the site now and going to check out the external sites.

all of this is appreciated. God Bless you all! <><

Upvote 0

angela 2

May 11, 2005
Boston
✟16,758.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
tattedsaint said:
can anyone give me some good links and books to start out with reading Paul Tillich?

he's next on my list of authors to get into.
><

If and when you get to his systematic theology, be prepared for some tough sledding. It takes a while to get a handle on his unique terminology.

Try to stay away from secondary sources for now. In my opinion, Tillich has been pulled and stretched out of shape by some writers.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
angela 2 said:
If and when you get to his systematic theology, be prepared for some tough sledding. It takes a while to get a handle on his unique terminology.

Try to stay away from secondary sources for now. In my opinion, Tillich has been pulled and stretched out of shape by some writers.

thank you for the advice. i plan on doing that. i really don't want to read any over-views of any other Christian theologian of his works. i just want to read his works straight from him, even though i know they are probably translated from German.

Upvote 0

angela 2

May 11, 2005
Boston
✟16,758.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
tattedsaint said:
even though i know they are probably translated from German.
I wouldn't want to swear to it, but I think they were written in English. He taught at Union Seminary in NYC for many years.

Not that it matters to his theology, but he was a womanizer. The story goes that Reinhold Niebuhr never forgave Tillich for seducing one of Niebuhr's female graduate students. Just some local color.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
angela 2 said:
I wouldn't want to swear to it, but I think they were written in English. He taught at Union Seminary in NYC for many years.

Not that it matters to his theology, but he was a womanizer. The story goes that Reinhold Niebuhr never forgave Tillich for seducing one of Niebuhr's female graduate students. Just some local color.

I had heard that, too! My professor who was the Tillich fan marveled that someone who was so preoccupied with women would have such deep spiritual insight...

Upvote 0

laflauta

Dec 2, 2023
New York, NY
✟8,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes

I would start with the Courage to be. I think that is his best book

Then I'd go onto some of his others like the Shaking of the Foundations and Dynamics of Faith

Then do his three volume Systematic Theology

and save his History of Christian Thought for last

Paul Tillich is wonderful & is the reason for how I see a lot of things. Enjoy
Good suggestions, but unless you have a background in philosophy I would not start with The Courage to Be. In order of difficulty I would suggest:

The Shaking of the Foundations
(and the two companion volumes, The New Being and The Eternal Now)

Dynamics of Faith

The Courage to Be

Systematic Theology

In my opinion these are his best works. Systematic Theology is profound, but best to work up to it; it's pretty sophisticated.

Upvote 0