Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are any of you planning to attend the PaTRAM Institute's Church Musician Masters Class workshop this year?

http://patraminstitute.org/2015-sum...-bells-st-tikhons-monastery-patram-institute/

For anyone who doesn't know what the PaTRAM Institute (Patriarch Tikhon's Russian American Music) master class covers, here is the description:

Training in this program will focus on techniques and materials specifically applicable to small choirs (e.g. from 2 to 8 singers) singing repertoire in English. This includes small ensemble vocal, conducting, and rehearsal techniques. These kinds of ensembles are certainly the norm in most parish situations, and leading and singing in them requires specific skills. Each participant will have the opportunity to be coached personally. Singers will be placed in one of several small ensembles, in which they will receive personal voice coaching in confident, yet sensitive ensemble singing. Conducting applicants, chosen by audition, will have private conducting coaching and will lead the small ensembles in the services that end the program.

They also have a Slavic liturgical bell ringing (with Blagovest Bell) masters class:

Blagovest Bell’s participation in this year’s program will provide the unprecedented opportunity for intensive, one-on-one training in traditional slavic liturgical bell ringing. Traditional bell ringing is often considered a luxury. However, when St. Innocent Veniaminov— America’s first Orthodox bishop (1840-1868)— traveled Alaska, he had with him a priest, a deacon, a subdeacon, a reader— and a bell ringer. Using the beautiful bells of St. Tikhon’s Monastery, and a mobile carillon, the guest experts from Blagovest will train participants in carillon set-up, techniques, and peals. Bell ringing participants will also ring the peals in the services that end the program.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ArmyMatt said:
I'll be up at STOTS but not doing that this summer. I have some diaconal training with a priest and if you come you will probably see me milling around the monastery doing oddjobs and such.

It'd be cool to see you around! I'm hoping to work it out to be there....I'll be talking to some of the women in our church choir to see if someone could share a hotel room.

Were you at it last year? I wanted to go but couldn't due to wedding planning. Did many people come?

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I keep thinking that they need to change the name of the school to Patriarch St.Tikhon Russian American Music Institute; so then the abbreviation would be....(wait for it)

PaSTRAMI!!!

^_^

haha don't worry - they've thought about that :p

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I keep thinking that they need to change the name of the school to Patriarch St.Tikhon Russian American Music Institute; so then the abbreviation would be....(wait for it)

PaSTRAMI!!!

^_^

hahaha, wish I woulda thought of that

Upvote 0