USA
✟9,689.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yet it lacks the recognition of the Exodus...

I keep being told "It's a Jewish holiday." and my response is "We are just a different sect of Judaism anyway." I never get a further response....

It would be interesting to find out if any of the apostles celebrated Passover after the resurrection of Christ.

Passover was not intended to recognize the Exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt, but of the passing over of the angel who slayed the first born of all those who did not have the blood of the passover lamb on their door posts (Ex. 12:27-29).

Also, remember that we as Christians (followers of Christ, not the OT law which Judaism follows) are not under the law but under grace. The Passover was a memorial for the people of Israel to keep because it happened to them. The only memorial that we as Christians are commanded to keep is the Lord's Supper (I Cor. 11:24-26). Unless you count Baptism, which I don't really consider a memorial per se but rather an identification of ourselves with Christ, although I do consider it and ordinance.

I guess that if you want to make an analogy of the passover, then comparing it to the Lord's Supper would be it. You are right that Christ is our passover (1 Cor. 5:7).

One interesting thing to note is that in John 6:4 and 11:55, the passover is shown as "the Jews' Passover," or the "feast of the Jews."

What you have to remember, as I gave reference before, is that Christ is our Passover lamb, slain on the cross, and His blood has been applied to us and the angel of death now passes us over because of Christ's blood.

Upvote 0

MrJG

Better to be quiet and not prove anyone's theory
Mar 25, 2009
USA
✟9,689.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Passover is the starting place of the Exodus, clearly so....
Exo 12:21 "Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover."
Exo 12:22 "And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning."
Exo 12:23 "For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you."
Exo 12:24 "And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever."
Exo 12:25 "And it shall come to pass, when ye be come to the land which the LORD will give you, according as he hath promised, that ye shall keep this service."
Exo 12:26 "And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service?"
Exo 12:27 "That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped."
Passover was the celebration of the day that the Angel of the Lord passed over the houses of those who had applied the blood of the Passover lamb to their door posts. Christ is our sacrificial lamb. I think this is clearly so...

would you disclaim then you are not a descendant of Abraham?

I am indeed a child of Abraham in the sense that I am of the same faith of Abraham, but not the Law. Paul himself in Romans 4:16 makes this distinction. "Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all." Those seed who are of the faith of Abraham are the Jews. Abraham is our father in the faith in the sense that he was one of the first with whom God dealt. I like the way that Matthew Henry puts it:

"Not but that there were those that were justified by faith before Abraham; but of Abraham first it is particularly observed, and in him commenced a much clearer and fuller dispensation of the covenant of grace than any that had been before extant; and there he is called the father of all that believe, because he was so eminent a believer, and so eminently justified by faith, as Jabal was the father of shepherds and Jubal of musicians, Gen_4:20, Gen_4:21. The father of all those that believe; that is, a standing pattern of faith, as parents are examples to their children..."

We as Christians are the spiritual seed of Abraham as described above, but unlike Israel, whose father is Abraham, our Father is God and Christ is the head of the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canuckmom

Oct 8, 2007
✟7,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Celebrating Passover would be a returning to the ceremonial laws that were for Israel only. We are in the New Covenant when all that is done away with. Christians are to remember every Lord's Day that Christ rose from the dead. Easter is of pagan origin!

Upvote 0

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Passover feast is a memorial feast, commerating the passover of the Lord in Egypt, a real event, and meal that remembers that event. Many of the real events, people, elements of the Law, such as the feasts, sacrifices, tabernacle, priesthood, etc... are types and foreshadows of Christ, they are figures, word pictures, snapshots of Christ, showing us something about Christ.

Jesus said;

Joh 5:46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me.
also,

Luk 24:44 Then he said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."
Luk 24:45 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

The O.T. is a book that teaches about Christ, whom is shown to us in various ways, type, shadow, figure and prophecy.

Now, Christ has come, we no longer look to the type, shadow and figure, but to the true substance, Christ, He has come and fufilled the things foreshadowed.

So, now we do not look back to Egypt, but to Christ, who at the Last Supper/Passover, instituted a new memorial feast, not in remembrance of the shadow, but in remembrance of Him, The Body that was broken for us, the Blood of the New Covenant that was shed for us.

We partake of the Lord's Supper, looking back to Calvary and His sacrifice, but also looking ahead to His coming,

1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Don't look back to the shadows,

2Co 3:10 Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it.

Look to Christ, the Lord of Glory.......................

Reactions: mlqurgw
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Passover feast is a memorial feast, commerating the passover of the Lord in Egypt, a real event, and meal that remembers that event. Many of the real events, people, elements of the Law, such as the feasts, sacrifices, tabernacle, priesthood, etc... are types and foreshadows of Christ, they are figures, word pictures, snapshots of Christ, showing us something about Christ.

Jesus said;

Joh 5:46If you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me.
also,

Luk 24:44 Then he said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."
Luk 24:45 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

The O.T. is a book that teaches about Christ, whom is shown to us in various ways, type, shadow, figure and prophecy.

Now, Christ has come, we no longer look to the type, shadow and figure, but to the true substance, Christ, He has come and fufilled the things foreshadowed.

So, now we do not look back to Egypt, but to Christ, who at the Last Supper/Passover, instituted a new memorial feast, not in remembrance of the shadow, but in remembrance of Him, The Body that was broken for us, the Blood of the New Covenant that was shed for us.

We partake of the Lord's Supper, looking back to Calvary and His sacrifice, but also looking ahead to His coming,

1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Don't look back to the shadows,

2Co 3:10 Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it.

Look to Christ, the Lord of Glory.......................
AMEN! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟70,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Canuckmom,

re: "Celebrating Passover would be a returning to the ceremonial laws that were for Israel only. We are in the New Covenant when all that is done away with. "

Any thoughts, then, on Zechariah 14:16-19 which takes place after the Messiah sets up His kingdom at the second coming? "16 And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 17 And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the Lord shakes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles."

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Philippines
✟18,759.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LET ME SHOP for verses like everybody else
ALL written in BLACK are all self-commentary. I urge everyone that comes by to read this. Though, I do not urge anyone to believe my commentaries. But I believe, this is something we believers should know. And I would like to apologize for the long post. I tried to keep it short, really…
------------------------------------------------------------------
VERSES to look at:
Passover @ Old Testament:
Timeline (self-summary only): Israelites are stuck with the Egyptians as slaves. Then G-d did the 9 plagues. The pharaoh’s heart was still hardened. Then then before the last plague…
Exo 12:21-22 Moses called for all the leaders of Israel and said to them, "Each of you is to choose a lamb or a young goat and kill it, so that your families can celebrate Passover. Take a sprig of hyssop, dip it in the bowl containing the animal's blood, and wipe the blood on the doorposts and the beam above the door of your house. Not one of you is to leave the house until morning.
Timeline (self-summary only): after the 10th plague the Israelites were set free along with “strangers/foreigners” and applied the same rules for them when circumcized
Exo 12:48-49 but no uncircumcised man may eat it. If a foreigner has settled among you and wants to celebrate Passover to honor the L-RD, you must first circumcise all the males of his household. He is then to be treated like a native-born Israelite and may join in the festival. The same regulations apply to native-born Israelites and to foreigners who settle among you."

(Look at the whole of Exodus 12 if you must)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Passover-like events in OT:
Gen 22:2 "Take your son," God said, "your only son, Isaac, whom you love so much, and go to the land of Moriah. There on a mountain that I will show you, offer him as a sacrifice to me."
Gen 22:9 -13 When they came to the place which G-d had told him about, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood on it. He tied up his son and placed him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he picked up the knife to kill him. But the angel of the L-RD called to him from heaven, "Abraham, Abraham!" He answered, "Yes, here I am."Don't hurt the boy or do anything to him," he said. "Now I know that you honor and obey G-d, because you have not kept back your only son from him." Abraham looked around and saw a ram caught in a bush by its horns. He went and got it and offered it as a burnt offering instead of his son.

(Now, who can the ram represent to be?)
Oh yeah, and all the Festivals that are mentioned in Lev. 23 are not Jewish festivals:

Lev 23:37 These are the feasts of the L-RD, which ye shall proclaim to be HOLY convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the L-RD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day:

Is G-d then a liar if He Himself made these feasts that are to be done FOREVER?
Lev 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute forever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

(He did not say, “keep them until the Messiah came” it is supposed to be forever. Read the whole Lev. 23 if you must)

Num 9:14 And if a stranger shall live among you, and prepares the Passover to the L-rd, he shall do according to the ordinance of the Passover, and according to its ordinance. You shall have one ordinance, both for the stranger and for him that was born in the land.
Deu 16:11 And you shall rejoice before the L-rd your G-d, you, and your son, and your daughter, and your male servant, and your slave girl, and the Levite inside your gates, and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, those among you, in the place which the L-rd your G-d has chosen to place His name there.

(And yes, the same still works for the foreigner/proselytes/Gentile or whichever you want to call us. And how many times do you want G-d to repeat these observing of the feasts? It’s written all over Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deutronomy and still we tend to ignore)

Next Stop: New Testament
Jesus celebrating Passover like any other Jew:
Mat 26:17-18 And on the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him, Where do You desire that we prepare for You to eat the Passover? And He said, Go into the city to such a man, and say to him, The Master said, My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples.

Why did He have to die on within that Feast? (Note: immediately after the feast of Passover is the Unleavened Bread which runs for a week)
1Co 5:7-8 Therefore purge out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened. For also Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast; not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. (Remember the Lamb in Exo 12:21-22? Sacrificed in to be put on the doorpost at the Passover?)

(What did Paul say? Let us keep the feast! Old leaven represents old sinful lives that are to be thrown away (and not the feasts) and make a new self because of Jesus’ sacrifice. Here on, believers can now celebrate the Passover and Unleavened Bread as a NEW BEING through Jesus who is the SINLESS/PERFECT LAMB for our sins. )

The “OVERUSED” not under the Law statement:

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
(I am so loving this verse J )

Paul on the LAW:

Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law.

(You see a simple essence of the Law? They are G-d’s written instructions for us to avoid sin so why are we so wanting to erase it?)

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? G-d forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Rom 2:15-16 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
In the day when G-d shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

(Through Jesus, the new covenant has been opened, on which now the law is now written on the hearts of the believers, and not erased, and not anymore on the 2 breakable tablets of stones, 10 commandments)

…And so on and so forth…

These are only a few of Paul’s many writings on “the Law” we so despise. So does Paul contradict his own writings? Or are we the ones who do the contradicting by SHOPPING verses. There are NO VERSES in the original writings of Paul or any other writer of the Bible.

An example is in Romans 6:14, why would he write something like this? Read the whole Romans, know who he addresses this LETTER and what was going on at that time. He was writing to the Gentile believers who wants to follow the law same as the Jews since they accepted the one true G-d of Israel. He wants to reminds the believers, both Jew and Gentiles that they won’t be saved by “scoring points” who followed the Law the most, but only under the grace of Jesus our L-rd. But what is the whole Law for? An instruction, again by G-d, for us to live peaceful here on earth. And what happens if we achieved peace? Our faith in G-d will strengthen and won’t be distracted by difficulties and sin.

…And yes, I can still be wrong. if you are really interested look it up on the Bible and research.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
...but if we are to listen to what God says how are we to defy "lasting ordinance?" Is God lying, is this a Biblical contridiction? No...I think we misinterpret what Paul is telling us what the "Law" is and how Jesus would define that which we think we understand:

BibleGateway.com - Keyword[wash my mouth]Search: ordinance

Did God essentially rebuke Himself and make it that His "lasting ordinances" we no longer applicable to those in Christ?

Upvote 0