Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
At Mass yesterday, the Passion gospel reading was read by the lector, priest, deacon and parishioners. The partishioners just read their assigned parts but the lector, deacon and priest read the story without any regard to specific roles. I have never seen it done this way - I have only seen the part of Christ spoken by the priest. Has anyone else seen it done this way?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At Mass yesterday, the Passion gospel reading was read by the lector, priest, deacon and parishioners. The partishioners just read their assigned parts but the lector, deacon and priest read the story without any regard to specific roles. I have never seen it done this way - I have only seen the part of Christ spoken by the priest. Has anyone else seen it done this way?
It was done by several at my parish.

One or two laity read parts or narrates. But the parts spoken by Jesus is always the priest.

Congregation spoke out like the crowd.

Crucify Him, etc.

Always done that way since I started attending RCC.

Never heard non-ordained reading the parts of Christ.

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
I've never heard of the part of Christ spoken by anyone other than the priest..
I hadn't either, until last night. It was just read, by a lector, without any regard to different parts at all. It was impossible to keep up with who the lector was supposed to be each line.

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How weird. That is the first time I've heard anything like what you've described.

As with many have stated, my Parish also has assigned readers for the narrator and the voice. The assembly does the crowd and either Father or the Deacon does the voice of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In our Parish, the Missalette we use states specifically that the voice of Christ should be the Priest or, with permission, a Deacon. I personally find it scandalous that the voice of Christ should be read by another.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.