"Parents sue school district over religious song"

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
JACKSONVILLE — Parents are suing the St. Johns County School Board saying a teacher made their children learn a religious-themed song for an end-of-the-year program.

The lawsuit, filed last week in federal court, says “In God We Still Trust,” interferes with the parents’ right to raise children according to their own beliefs

soure and a bit more
Just can't seem to learn, can they!

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are on the choir, usually around Christmas time for the pageants there are religion phrases in most of the Christmas songs sang, correct? That was the case for me anyway. These parents just seem to be making too big of a deal of it, especially considering the song was cut from the compliant BEFORE they filed the lawsuit. They are just suing now because their child had to learn it at all.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The song was cut before the lawsuit was filed after another parent complained. But the lawsuit says they are still entitled to damages because their children were required to learn the song. They are seeking to bar the district from the “religious instruction” the song represents.
Looking for a quick buck.

Don't know the song, but the title is on money.(except for the still part.)

This offers the question, Does a school that makes a mistake, and corrects it, prior to the lawsuit, deserve to pay for "damages"?
Is learning a song, that damaging to a child? Maybe we should look into songs played on radio? Get the FCC on that.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you are on the choir, usually around Christmas time for the pageants there are religion phrases in most of the Christmas songs sang, correct? That was the case for me anyway. These parents just seem to be making too big of a deal of it, especially considering the song was cut from the compliant BEFORE they filed the lawsuit. They are just suing now because their child had to learn it at all.

I tended to agree with what you said, but being a bit prigish (I'd really use a different term, but it is not allowed, yea I'm strange I'll accurately describe myself from time to time). I decided to actually look at the song.

You place your hand on His Bible, when you swear to tell the Truth
His name is on our greatest Monuments, and all our money too,
And when we Pledge allegiance, there's no doubt where we stand,
There is no separation, we're one Nation under Him.

Chorus:
In God We Still Trust
Here in America
He's the one we turn to every time
The goin' gets rough
He is the source of all our Strength
The One who watches over us
Here in America
In God We Still Trust

Now there are those among us, who want to push Him out,
And erase His name from everything, this country's all about,
From the Schoolhouse to the Courthouse, they're Silencing His Word,
Now it's time for all Believers, to make our Voices heard.

In God We Still Trust,
Here in America
He's the one we turn to every time
The goin' gets rough
He is the source of all our Strength
The One who watches over us
Here in America
In God We Still Trust

Here in America
Here in America
Here in America,

In God We Still Trust
Here in America,

In God We Still Trust
Here in America

This is not just pro God, it is anti seperation of Church and state. It is grossly political and quite improper.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
While the parents may seem to be making a big deal out of it, particularly in view of the fact that the song was cut, there still remains the real issue of teaching a child a religious precept in a public school, regardless if that teaching is or is not carried to the next step, which in this case would be singing it before an audience. That this was the intended goal and that this goal was eliminated does not mitigate the fact that the teaching still took place. So I believe the parents are quite right in their perusal of the action. It is unlawful to do what the school did and the parents have a right to seek redress as provided by the law.

If the school thinks it's silly to bring such an action then be advised: this is a warning to abide by the law, or else. It would be no different than if the students had been taught to sing a song that recognized the non-existence of god for some performance, and then later pulled it. I know that the fact that they had been taught that god didn't exist, even if not performed, would not go unchallenged by believers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I tended to agree with what you said, but being a bit prigish (I'd really use a different term, but it is not allowed, yea I'm strange I'll accurately describe myself from time to time). I decided to actually look at the song.

This is not just pro God, it is anti seperation of Church and state. It is grossly political and quite improper.

Do you really think it improper to trust in God? I believe the opposite to be true regardless of whatever personal God you feel comfortable with. If the parents have a problem with this type of song I shudder to think of the skeletons that must be dancing in their closets.

Upvote 0
F

FedererFan

Do you really think it improper to trust in God? I believe the opposite to be true regardless of whatever personal God you feel comfortable with. If the parents have a problem with this type of song I shudder to think of the skeletons that must be dancing in their closets.

It's not improper to trust in God, but it is improper to teach this song in public school. It's more than a traditional Christmas song that's just become part of our culture, it's blatantly anti-separation. The parents probably have a problem with the song because it's really quite offensive to non-Christians. I find this line particularly disturbing:

Now there are those among us, who want to push Him out,
And erase His name from everything, this country's all about,
From the Schoolhouse to the Courthouse, they're Silencing His Word,
Now it's time for all Believers, to make our Voices heard.
Would you feel comfortable sending your children to a school where they were taught not just secular music, but actively anti-Christian music? It's the same thing.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

No.

I do think it highly improper to push that belief on others, especially under the primature of the government, which is exactly what happens when a public school does this. I can think of manyu many reasons I would approve of very religious songs in a musical presentation. In fact if I had a band where I had a good piper I'd find it hard to resist Amazing Grace.

And I'll repeat it since yuo did not seem to get it the first time. This song is not about faith it is about forcing it on others and picking a fight with those who do not believe.

Go back and read the words again especially this line"

There is no separation, we're one Nation under Him

Just what seperation do you think they mean here?

BTW. It was a very close call when I decided on who to use as my Avatar. Dietrich barely lost. Bonhoeffer would never have approved of a song like that, as evidenced by his actions toward Kokorin in hte last days of his life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No.

I do think it highly improper to push that belief on others, especially under the primature of the government, which is exactly what happens when a public school does this. I can think of manyu many reasons I would approve of very religious songs in a musical presentation. In fact if I had a band where I had a good piper I'd find it hard to resist Amazing Grace.

And I'll repeat it since yuo did not seem to get it the first time. This song is not about faith it is about forcing it on others and picking a fight with those who do not believe.

Go back and read the words again especially this line"

There is no separation, we're one Nation under Him

Just what seperation do you think they mean here?

BTW. It was a very close call when I decided on who to use as my Avatar. Dietrich barely lost. Bonhoeffer would never have approved of a song like that, as evidenced by his actions toward Kokorin in hte last days of his life.

Based on the context it seems the separation is between members of society.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I hadn't even heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer before your post. What an amazing man.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given the lyrics, the parents are correct in suing. The song is blatantly for political purposes and has no place in a school program.

I'm fairly lenient when it comes to religious themed songs in music programs. Many important songs have religious themes, that's something you can't really get around. I don't see the importance of this song other than to make a political statement.

Upvote 0