-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you are a kjv only and if you had to get a parallel bible which translation do you recommend to go with kjv?
a) Your profile says "Christian," so I will assume that you are a Baptist.

b) I will assume you like reading the Psalms in the KJV.

c) I will assume that you need a good translation for both the NT and the OT.

If my assumptions are correct, I would recommend the CSB.

Reactions: lanceleo
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you are a kjv only and if you had to get a parallel bible which translation do you recommend to go with kjv?

NKJV, NIV or NASB. You can get a parallel Bible with more than two translations. I have one I bought years and years ago, which is very useful, that has KJV, NIV, The Living Bible and RSV.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There are many fine English translations! I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the major ones. I use the ESV(UK) myself, but it's good to have a collection of different translations and in different languages if possible. Anything but paraphrase and amplified Bibles are good, so I'd avoid the MSG, NLT, and AMP, for example. As a practical advice, with any Bible translation I'm unfamiliar with, I like to check the wording of the Lord's Prayer first. By this I can rule out some of the worst translations.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Understandable yes but it also has to be reliable. I doubt NIV is.

Regardless of some of the bad press it's often gotten from various groups over the years, the NIV is a very good translation. I read through the NIV last year and then did the NKJV this year. I use both for study and for developing SS lessons. If you've only ever used the KJV (I grew up using the KJV) jumping into the NIV will probably be a challenge for you. But realize that every translation has its critics, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I'll still recommend either NIV or NKJV, but whatever you decide on will be helpful in your studies. :)

I have a New Living Translation study Bible that I picked up several years ago at a used book store. I've read its pros and cons - and have seen examples of verses compared - but will use it as my next Bible read-through. I won't use it as a study Bible, but I might find it worthwhile to compare translations.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll still recommend either NIV or NKJV, but whatever you decide on will be helpful in your studies. :) I have a New Living Translation study Bible that I picked up several years ago at a used book store. I've read its pros and cons - and have seen examples of verses compared - but will use it as my next Bible read-through.
Reading the OT from any translation (not a paraphrase) is acceptable. But the NT in the NLT is even worse than NIV. Why bother w/ these translations when you can get a reliable and easy-to-read translation?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Reading the OT from any translation (not a paraphrase) is acceptable. But the NT in the NLT is even worse than NIV. Why bother w/ these translations when you can get a reliable and easy-to-read translation?

Personally, I like to know what's out there. My basic and most well-liked Bible is the NKJV. But I tend not to rely on other people's criticisms when it comes to various translations. You only know what those translations are saying, and can only make comparisons, if you read them yourself. So that's what I do.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regardless of some of the bad press it's often gotten from various groups over the years, the NIV is a very good translation. I read through the NIV last year and then did the NKJV this year. I use both for study and for developing SS lessons. If you've only ever used the KJV (I grew up using the KJV) jumping into the NIV will probably be a challenge for you. But realize that every translation has its critics, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I'll still recommend either NIV or NKJV, but whatever you decide on will be helpful in your studies. :)

I have a New Living Translation study Bible that I picked up several years ago at a used book store. I've read its pros and cons - and have seen examples of verses compared - but will use it as my next Bible read-through. I won't use it as a study Bible, but I might find it worthwhile to compare translations.
For readability wise I'd say NLT is one of the best.

Upvote 0